Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 95264 times)

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #345 on: September 19, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »

Really! Oh wow. That's intense (where did you find that information ? I would love to read it). See I would love to see just one run where none were taken out in the ocean, just to see them all in the rivers like a gaint :'( fish bridge you could walk across. I know it will never happen but a guy can dream.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »

Come to the Quinsam River hatchery late August to late September. Not a large river but has a large return of Pinks every year. Your dream may come true.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »

Really! Oh wow. That's intense (where did you find that information ? I would love to read it). See I would love to see just one run where none were taken out in the ocean, just to see them all in the rivers like a gaint :'( fish bridge you could walk across. I know it will never happen but a guy can dream.

For 4 days at the mouth of the Sumas it was a sea of Pinks. I've never seen that many there before. You couldn't even see the bottom of the river.

redside1

« Reply #348 on: September 20, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »

spend two seconds using google and you can come up with this
https://npafc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/AR2018-Final.pdf

or this
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/science/2019/08/11/scientists-warn-of-too-many-pink-salmon-in-north-pacific/

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #349 on: September 20, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »

Would it be rude if I were to say . I wish BC had the same problems as to call a rigorous debate over the pros and cons of releasing billions of salmon from our BC hatcheries  :o .
Just sayin  ;) ha
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #350 on: September 20, 2019, 08:24:37 PM »

just to see them all in the rivers like a giant :'( fish bridge you could walk across. I know it will never happen but a guy can dream.

I believe this is the Eve river on the Island from a couple of years ago:

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #351 on: September 21, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »

the Quinsam.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2019, 07:01:40 AM »

That is an insane picture easywater. And thanks for the links reside.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »

I believe this is the Eve river on the Island from a couple of years ago:

holy

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2019, 11:45:06 AM »

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/tentative-salmon-fishery-will-harm-endangered-steelhead-runs-more-to-come

Federal-provincial steelhead recovery plan mired in dysfunction

Under the steelhead action plan developed jointly with the provincial government, Fisheries and Oceans planned “rolling closures” of commercial salmon fisheries between Sept. 6 and Nov. 22 along the entire migratory route of the Interior steelhead, from the marine environment up through the Fraser River and its tributaries.

Just weeks into the closure window, Fisheries and Oceans has authorized a two-day First Nations commercial fishery for pink salmon on the lower Fraser and a seven-day recreational fishery for pink and chum salmon between the mouth of the Fraser and the Mission Bridge.

Then a three-day First Nations commercial fishery for pinks opened Thursday for beach seining and fish wheels, also in the Lower Fraser.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #355 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:43 AM »

The following is a response from Rebecca Reid, Regional Director General of Fisheries and Oceans Canada to Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association chair Marc Layne's letter (see below for original letter):

Dear Mr. Laynes,

Thank you for your correspondence of September 17, 2019 regarding pink salmon management measures.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) recognizes that challenges are being faced by all who depend on the Pacific salmon resource for their sustenance, livelihood and recreation. The Department works with all harvest sectors to improve the management of the fishery to meet conservation objectives and achieve fishery objectives.

The Department’s Allocation Policy for Pacific Salmon (the Policy) establishes clear priorities for fisheries management. The Policy confirms that the primary objective in fisheries management is the conservation of Pacific salmon stocks, followed by government obligations to provide harvest opportunities for First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC) requirements and treaty obligations.

The Policy encourages selective fishing, and DFO appreciates the recreational fishing community’s efforts to support and promote any selective fishing measures that reduce impacts on non-target species.

Recreational fishing for pink salmon upstream of Mission has remained closed primarily because in this area “bottoming bouncing” or “flossing” has been common, and this practice can result in the interception of sockeye. Given the extremely low returns of sockeye to the Fraser River this year, and very high level of conservation concern, such impacts are not something that could be accommodated this season.

While a leader restriction could reduce impacts to sockeye, the recreational sector has expressed mixed support in the past. Regulatory changes, which involve a lengthy process, would be required for DFO to implement such restrictions.

Beach seining has been permitted to enable harvest of chinook and pink salmon for First Nations FSC purposes. Sockeye retention has not been permitted in these fisheries, and the release mortality rate for sockeye and coho is low.

The opportunity for recreational pink- fishing downstream from Mission closed September 20, 2019, as the steelhead window closure came into effect in that area on September 21, 2019. The steelhead window closure provides a high degree of protection for steelhead migrating up the Fraser River, with closures of commercial and recreational fisheries for 42 days over the peak of the steelhead return. First Nations FSC chum fisheries will also be constrained, with 27-day closures in effect.

To protect the resource, we also need the public’s help. If you see suspicious activity or believe an offence has occurred, please contact the Observe, Record and Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or email DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

As you are aware, the SFAB represents recreational fishing interests to the DFO on areas of concern to the recreational fishing community. I encourage you to continue to engage with the SFAB for further discussion of these issues.

Thank you for writing.

Yours sincerely,

Rebecca Reid
Regional Director General
Pacific Region

Robert_G

« Reply #356 on: October 16, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »

The following is a response from Rebecca Reid, Regional Director General of Fisheries and Oceans Canada to Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association chair Marc Layne's letter (see below for original letter):

Dear Mr. Laynes,

Thank you for your correspondence of September 17, 2019 regarding pink salmon management measures.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) recognizes that challenges are being faced by all who depend on the Pacific salmon resource for their sustenance, livelihood and recreation. The Department works with all harvest sectors to improve the management of the fishery to meet conservation objectives and achieve fishery objectives.

The Department’s Allocation Policy for Pacific Salmon (the Policy) establishes clear priorities for fisheries management. The Policy confirms that the primary objective in fisheries management is the conservation of Pacific salmon stocks, followed by government obligations to provide harvest opportunities for First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC) requirements and treaty obligations.

The Policy encourages selective fishing, and DFO appreciates the recreational fishing community’s efforts to support and promote any selective fishing measures that reduce impacts on non-target species.

Recreational fishing for pink salmon upstream of Mission has remained closed primarily because in this area “bottoming bouncing” or “flossing” has been common, and this practice can result in the interception of sockeye. Given the extremely low returns of sockeye to the Fraser River this year, and very high level of conservation concern, such impacts are not something that could be accommodated this season.

While a leader restriction could reduce impacts to sockeye, the recreational sector has expressed mixed support in the past. Regulatory changes, which involve a lengthy process, would be required for DFO to implement such restrictions.

Beach seining has been permitted to enable harvest of chinook and pink salmon for First Nations FSC purposes. Sockeye retention has not been permitted in these fisheries, and the release mortality rate for sockeye and coho is low.

The opportunity for recreational pink- fishing downstream from Mission closed September 20, 2019, as the steelhead window closure came into effect in that area on September 21, 2019. The steelhead window closure provides a high degree of protection for steelhead migrating up the Fraser River, with closures of commercial and recreational fisheries for 42 days over the peak of the steelhead return. First Nations FSC chum fisheries will also be constrained, with 27-day closures in effect.

To protect the resource, we also need the public’s help. If you see suspicious activity or believe an offence has occurred, please contact the Observe, Record and Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or email DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

As you are aware, the SFAB represents recreational fishing interests to the DFO on areas of concern to the recreational fishing community. I encourage you to continue to engage with the SFAB for further discussion of these issues.

Thank you for writing.

Yours sincerely,

Rebecca Reid
Regional Director General
Pacific Region

What a load of crap