Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 96605 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »

Fraser pinks are done for me, numbers just arent there anymore. Had some success on Saturday morning, then nothing on a few short outings on Sunday morning and Monday night. I am sure the tributaries are loaded.

10-Sep      1,402,000        6,031,300 1
11-Sep      844,400           6,875,700
12-Sep      849,300           7,725,000
13-Sep      348,800           8,073,800
14-Sep      157,000           8,230,800
15-Sep      88,400

They spawn fast and furious. There are LOTS of floaters going down the Fraser. On my way up to the Sumas I counted over 10 just near my path.

matrix111

« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2019, 10:04:45 AM »

None in Surrey and none in Langley. I haven't seen anyone catching any. Pinks are done on the Fraser.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »

None in Surrey and none in Langley. I haven't seen anyone catching any. Pinks are done on the Fraser.

Yep with the clean up crews out from the USA area 7 to the mouth in canada not much is making it to the river.  First two days of the opening were the only consistent days.

Was nice to see all the young kids out tossing a lure with all the space in the world. Very important recreational fishery for the future.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2019, 10:29:11 AM »

The following is a letter from Marc Laynes, the chair of Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association​ to Rebecca Reid, Pacific Regional Director General at Fisheries and Oceans Canada​.

Dear Ms. Reid,

We question the decision to open the tidal Fraser for pink retention for recreational anglers, while the non-tidal section remains closed.  We acknowledge the concerns for sockeye but suggest that since beach seining has already been permitted in the upper river, why is selective recreational pink salmon fishing not open? 

As you are aware, angling groups have lobbied for years for a leader length restriction to be imposed when other  stocks of concern are present. This has been accepted as practical during chinook fisheries and is easily applicable during the current pink abundance.  A leader restriction would allow some opportunity for family fishing & would be a highlight of what has been a dismal summer angling season.  A leader restriction would virtually eliminate incidental catch of threatened sockeye stocks.

If selective fisheries (beach seining) are allowed for First Nations, why are we not granted the same opportunities? Extensive discussions have taken place through all SFAB channels including recommendations from the SFAB committee on selective fishing. The Fraser River angling community has supported selective fishing for years. We have patiently dealt with your department, anticipating cooperation toward providing opportunity.

Why is our sector denied these selective opportunities while other sectors are currently on the water?  It is unfathomable that we are still at these crossroads.

Marc Laynes, FVAGA Chair

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »

have you proposed a demonstration fishery through the IFMP process I was told this was an avenue to explore.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »

The following is a letter from Marc Laynes, the chair of Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association​ to Rebecca Reid, Pacific Regional Director General at Fisheries and Oceans Canada​.

Thanks for that Marc.
Well said.

Robert_G

« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »

The hate for the sporties from our government has become so obvious that nothing short of a revolution is going to get us back on the water. It wouldn't even surprise me if the numbers of pinks coming in (as of 3 weeks ago) was fudged by the government on purpose to keep us out.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »

The hate for the sporties from our government has become so obvious that nothing short of a revolution is going to get us back on the water. It wouldn't even surprise me if the numbers of pinks coming in (as of 3 weeks ago) was fudged by the government on purpose to keep us out.

I honestly wouldn't doubt anything. Including that.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »

...It wouldn't even surprise me if the numbers of pinks coming in (as of 3 weeks ago) was fudged by the government on purpose to keep us out.

Lower Fraser First Nations could also say the same thing. Recreational openings were never going to open until First Nations' FSC fisheries begin, which took place last weekend.

In-season stock estimates are constantly changing as information comes in. When abundance is lowered after fisheries are opened, we cry mismanagement. When abundance is determined to be higher later on after all the fisheries are kept closed, we cry mismanagement. It's the nature of managing a fish population that is constantly on the move.

With that said, there are a couple of questionable actions. One is that in-season abundance was increased to 6. something million fish at one point but the Fraser River Panel refused to adopt it and still managed it at 5 million fish.

Secondly, it makes no sense that the saltwater recreational sector was able to retain 4 pink salmon per day in Area 29 and beyond outside of the Fraser River mouth while in-river fisheries (both recreational and FSC) remained closed.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2019, 04:27:43 PM »

I believe it was posted earlier on here but there was a disagreement about the size of the run between PSC panel members, As a result they delayed all the fisheries till they had more in river data, As a result of that delay we basically missed our fishery.

No conspiracy just it seems like they were being overly cautious and that's a big change from last sockeye season where they overharvested the sockeye run by a considerable amount so perhaps that was in the back of their heads.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:29:33 PM by wildmanyeah »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2019, 10:30:18 PM »

Hopefully next cycle goes past 12 million. If all goes well.

EricBou

« Reply #341 on: September 18, 2019, 09:32:48 AM »

Lower Fraser First Nations could also say the same thing. Recreational openings were never going to open until First Nations' FSC fisheries begin, which took place last weekend.

In-season stock estimates are constantly changing as information comes in. When abundance is lowered after fisheries are opened, we cry mismanagement. When abundance is determined to be higher later on after all the fisheries are kept closed, we cry mismanagement. It's the nature of managing a fish population that is constantly on the move.

With that said, there are a couple of questionable actions. One is that in-season abundance was increased to 6. something million fish at one point but the Fraser River Panel refused to adopt it and still managed it at 5 million fish.

Secondly, it makes no sense that the saltwater recreational sector was able to retain 4 pink salmon per day in Area 29 and beyond outside of the Fraser River mouth while in-river fisheries (both recreational and FSC) remained closed.

I can only agree at 300% with you Rod!!!

I would also questioned commercial fishing (in Alaska mostly) and all their by-catch of Canadian salmon.  The commercial fishery technology has changed significantly since the 70's-80's... their fishing capability (bigger boat, bigger net, better sonar, GPS, etc) to catch salmon (school) has increased drastically... this translate into the following:
- if salmon stock decreases, the effort to catch their quota (CPE) will remain "artificially" the same
- that quota, applied on a depleted stock, will have significant impact on the FW returns
- that quota, applied on an healthy stock, should be sustainable.

Are wild stocks depleted or healthy???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:23:23 AM by EricBou »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2019, 09:32:56 AM »

Hopefully next cycle goes past 12 million. If all goes well.

We are set up well for 2021, I would think about 12 million should return.

Here's the kicker tho, Escapement does not correlate well with pink salmon.  In fact an 8 million escapement is pretty high.  So in terms of pink making it to the spawning grounds this year is a pretty high year.

"The 2019 Pink salmon forecast of 5.0 million is lower than the long term average (12.7 million),
and the 2018 fry outmigration of 192.2 million is the lowest observed since the method for
enumerating outmigrating fry was standardized in 1968 and less than half of the long term
average of 431.9 million."

The 2018 fry that made this years return was one of the lowest on record and returned almost 9 million fish so Ocean Survival is really the key.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/347488.pdf
http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/2019%20Fraser%20Sockeye%20Forecast.pdf

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #343 on: September 19, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »

On Wikipedia it says annually about 240 million pink salmon are harvested from the Pacific Ocean both east and west. If a 5.5 million run produces a fry output of 192 million just imagine if they cut the pink salmon commercial fishery by 1/4 so 60 million fish  :o.  Also im not sure but doesnt BC have some of the "strongest" pink runs. So who knows how much of the 240 million harvested is BC stock.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #344 on: September 19, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »

Alaska and Russia pump out about 5 BILLION pink fry each year.