Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 95304 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2019, 09:24:33 PM »

“This is the first time in our history that we have had to buy fish and to me that is unacceptable,” says Lulua.

“There was expected a million fish to make it back to our spawning beds so a couple thousand fish making it over the slide to me is unacceptable. Something has to change.

“When you threaten our fish, you threaten our livelihoods and that means we go to war.”

Is it totally inconceivable for DFO to propose that those bands upriver of the slide be allowed fisheries below the slide this year?  Or even to trap fish at the slide for their harvest?  Or dip netting at the slide?  If this slide happened in 1650, would the upriver FN people starve, or would they go downriver to fish?  I don't mean to be flippant, only practical.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2019, 07:37:16 AM »

People need to remember recreational fisheries for salmon are readily available on near by tributaries of the Fraser The Vedder Chilliwack was crowded with anglers Tuesday and Wednesday. I counted a few dozen on about a 500 meter stretch. Many were hooking, landing and keeping fish. I say chinook caught, pinks caught and even a coho or 2. Chinook and pinks were being retained. Chinook recreational openings were provided and currently available near Kamloops. Chinook, coho, chum and pinks are open in the tidal waters near Vancouver and How Sound. The FNs above the slide have no access to their traditional salmon resource. In many cases bands along the entire stretch of the Fraser have turned down  openings.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #257 on: September 12, 2019, 07:57:41 AM »

People need to remember recreational fisheries for salmon are readily available on near by tributaries of the Fraser The Vedder Chilliwack was crowded with anglers Tuesday and Wednesday. I counted a few dozen on about a 500 meter stretch. Many were hooking, landing and keeping fish. I say chinook caught, pinks caught and even a coho or 2. Chinook and pinks were being retained. Chinook recreational openings were provided and currently available near Kamloops. Chinook, coho, chum and pinks are open in the tidal waters near Vancouver and How Sound. The FNs above the slide have no access to their traditional salmon resource. In many cases bands along the entire stretch of the Fraser have turned down  openings.

Why is the vedder open for pinks??With hundreds lined up flossing? No endangered sockeye to worry about? have the Soowahlie had an opening on the vedder this year??

Seems to me its hard to make any sense of why one place is open while another is closed.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:28:28 AM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #258 on: September 12, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »

Anyways... no need to go their...saw this posted on FRSA facebook page

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:38 AM »

Why is the vedder open for pinks??With hundreds lined up flossing? No endangered sockeye to worry about? have the Soowahlie had an opening on the vedder this year??

Seems to me its hard to make any sense of why one place is open while another is closed.

If you want to engage in sarcasm you should study the art of it.

All this pithy little BS will do nothing to reverse the closure on the Fraser. It is in fact to late to reverse the decision.

For people who don't like the lack of response from Public employees complain to the Deputy Minister, the Minister the Prime Minister the Opposition Leaders and local MPs.

Fortunately for my last couple days on the river the anglers I saw were mostly experienced. I saw no little snagging, all fish released were released in a commendable fashion. I saw no flossing. Of course I wasn't at KW. Lol

For folks wanting to fish for Pinks, the light gear you used on the Fraser is ok for some parts of the V/C and even suitable for coho. I spin their quite regularly myself. If conditions improve the Harrison will provide some really good shore fishing down towards the mouth. Later on there should be a big push of pinks up the river and you can fish from shore at many points up to the #7 bridge. Same tackle works there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2019, 09:06:22 AM »

*yawn*

anyways they opened the US test fishery back up interesting

https://www.psc.org/TestFish/DailyReports/11Sep19.PDF

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »

If you want to engage in sarcasm you should study the art of it.

All this pithy little BS will do nothing to reverse the closure on the Fraser. It is in fact to late to reverse the decision.

For people who don't like the lack of response from Public employees complain to the Deputy Minister, the Minister the Prime Minister the Opposition Leaders and local MPs.

Fortunately for my last couple days on the river the anglers I saw were mostly experienced. I saw no little snagging, all fish released were released in a commendable fashion. I saw no flossing. Of course I wasn't at KW. Lol

For folks wanting to fish for Pinks, the light gear you used on the Fraser is ok for some parts of the V/C and even suitable for coho. I spin their quite regularly myself. If conditions improve the Harrison will provide some really good shore fishing down towards the mouth. Later on there should be a big push of pinks up the river and you can fish from shore at many points up to the #7 bridge. Same tackle works there.

Does bar fishing work in Harrison river mouth?

*yawn*

anyways they opened the US test fishery back up interesting

https://www.psc.org/TestFish/DailyReports/11Sep19.PDF

I haven't seen much fish rolling or jumping in the lower fraser since the first nation netting open on monday.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:44:14 AM by psd1179 »

essyoo

« Reply #262 on: September 12, 2019, 10:01:20 AM »

I haven't seen much fish rolling or jumping in the lower fraser since the first nation netting open on monday.

Was on the river near Fort Langley yesterday evening and this morning and was seeing near constant fish rolling and jumping.

sockeyed

« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2019, 10:42:50 AM »

Will the Harrison be blown out with all the rain coming this weekend? never tried would like to give it a go.

Thanks,

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #264 on: September 12, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »

Will the Harrison be blown out with all the rain coming this weekend? never tried would like to give it a go.

Thanks,

Harrison won't change much

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #265 on: September 12, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »

Harrison won't change much

We had a wicked rain event last year. It was a few solid days of hard rain. I believe it was mid November. Anyhow, that was the first time I'd ever seen the Harrison run brown bellow the Chehalis. From Kilby all the way up to where the Chehalis comes out of the booms it was chocolate brown. Above that it was fine. Again, a rarity but it can happen. I can remeber seeing logs come down the Harrison from the Chehalis

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »

I stopped at the Harrison yesterday. It's a bit high for the time of year and has some colour to it. The river actually is part of a long drainage system that extends well north of Pemberton where the heaviest rain is expected in the next day or 2. This may cause it to rise within the following couple of days and take a longer time to drop as Harrison Lake holds lots of water from runoff events and it drains off slowly.

sockeyed

« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »

I stopped at the Harrison yesterday. It's a bit high for the time of year and has some colour to it. The river actually is part of a long drainage system that extends well north of Pemberton where the heaviest rain is expected in the next day or 2. This may cause it to rise within the following couple of days and take a longer time to drop as Harrison Lake holds lots of water from runoff events and it drains off slowly.

Interesting. Can you fish on the dyke road below the train bridge or is this native land?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »

Interesting. Can you fish on the dyke road below the train bridge or is this native land?

Screenshot-20190912-124207-Earth" border="0

It is reserve land. Reserve land start 50 meters or so down river from the train bridge. There is a google earth plug-in that will display all reserve land and land claims ( even mineral claims ). Just google search it. It works with Google earth on your phone as well. Makes things really simple.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »

If you already have google Earth installed on your phone, download this file. It works with Android. I'm not too sure about Apple. I dont own one.

http://clss.nrcan.gc.ca/data-donnees/kml/Canada%20Lands.kmz