Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 95246 times)

Robert_G

Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »

The only ones worth eating that are caught around Chilliwack or above are harvested before the 15th of September....even earlier some years. They used to open pinks in August....would catch some down by the Vedder mouth....they were in fantastic shape.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2019, 06:29:13 PM »

The only ones worth eating that are caught around Chilliwack or above are harvested before the 15th of September....even earlier some years. They used to open pinks in August....would catch some down by the Vedder mouth....they were in fantastic shape.

I was surprised to see such small fish. I even saw a few zombie pinks swimming around. I caught and lost one fresh dose but lost it. All the Pinks we caught were very very small

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2019, 12:13:44 AM »

It's still very early. Typically we don't see that big surge of fish passing Steveston until the 5th or 6th of September. Tributaries like the Vedder don't really see the high abundance of fish until the 10th. There are some fish in the river already, just very scattered out.

matrix111

« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »

Is Derby Reach still closed for fishing Pinks? I am looking at the regs and is a little confusing.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2019, 01:41:31 PM »

Pikeminnows go after a red croc. to that end i say go out and fish for pikeminnows.

LOL. Is there anywhere in the fishery notices that say you can't use spoons or lures for pikeminnows? That itch of casting or testing a lure at tidal Fraser is strong this time of the year. LOL.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »

LOL. Is there anywhere in the fishery notices that say you can't use spoons or lures for pikeminnows? That itch of casting or testing a lure at tidal Fraser is strong this time of the year. LOL.

The fishing notice state that fishing for salmon is closed, You may fish for pikeminnows anyway you like. I think trout fishing is also open below the mission bridge.

Rods website even states that crocs are a good way to catch pike minnows this time of year

"https://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/estuary_fishing/tidal_fraser_river_light_spincasting.html"

"The presence of northern pikeminnow is quite the opposite to trout and char. Large northern pikeminnow become active in August when freshet recedes and remain abundant until early October."

"Terminal tackle required in this technique is minimal. A box filled with spoons and spinners is your ticket to a fun fishing outing. Lures that are commonly productive include Gibbs' Croc and Koho. Small spinners can easily be made with blades, bodies and beads, which are readily available at tacklestores. Catching fish on homemade lures brings more joy than using store-bought lures. Lure sizes and colours vary based on water conditions. All colours would produce fish, but water clarity may alter catch results. It is best to experiment and document the results in a fishing journal for future references. 1/8oz and 1/4oz are the best lure weights, but larger spoons tend to produce more bull trout while the chance of catching a cutthroat trout is bigger with smaller spinners."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:00:34 PM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2019, 02:11:25 PM »

There's nothing stopping you from tossing a 1/4oz Croc in both the tidal and non-tidal portions of the Fraser River for northern pikeminnow. I used to do it all the time and it's how you'd target bigger ones without hooking the smaller ones frequently.

If Fisheries and Oceans Canada is not interested in considering selective angling methods as a management tool, then non-selective angling methods are not a concern when targeting the species you'd like to catch.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »

Some really good  numbers in the river sets so far. More than tripple caught yesterday compared to last cycle same day. 

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »

Some really good  numbers in the river sets so far. More than tripple caught yesterday compared to last cycle same day.

Is it possible to bring a 2.5hp 10' pram to fish Sumas?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »

Is it possible to bring a 2.5hp 10' pram to fish Sumas?

Launch at Barrowtown yes.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2019, 06:12:07 PM »

Would you eat a pike from the Fraser?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »

Suspicious DFO Officer - "I see you're fishing the Fraser. How are you making out today?"

FWR members - "Terrible! I'm hoping to catch my favorite species, the legendary pikeminnow but the only thing biting are these stupid pinks..."

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2019, 08:25:46 AM »

Looking at yesterday in river sets (613), this run is by far 4x times larger ( at least the river sets ) than 2017. It looks like DFO has underestimated this years run. Am I wrong ? It's looking very good. I admit I do not know a whole lot about how they get their estimates but I have a little understanding. The numbers are just thru the roof.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »

Looking at yesterday in river sets (613), this run is by far 4x times larger ( at least the river sets ) than 2017. It looks like DFO has underestimated this years run. Am I wrong ? It's looking very good. I admit I do not know a whole lot about how they get their estimates but I have a little understanding. The numbers are just thru the roof.

I don't know about 4X, It does seem to be a strong run, ITs eather early, They are all migrating in a narrow window or its a strong run. Here's some data a crunch for you!  Kinda bonkers its closed on the fraser.  Its still a bit early to do a good comparision as it seems this test usually peaks around september 10-15.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:41:42 AM by wildmanyeah »

essyoo

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »

I've never fished the sumas before nor have I caught a pink salmon before. Took my son and nephew out to the vedder on monday and we didn't see much other than a few schools of suckers. Must have been in the wrong place.

Is the sumas better with a boat? What's the preferred way to target pinks in there? Trolling? anchoring up and casting? I can't seem to find much info online about the preferred techniques to use there. Would love to get them into some fish before the run is over.