Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 96154 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2019, 03:08:49 PM »

Oh my goodness, are we going to exceed the low abundance exploitation rate for sockeye salmon in that case? lol...

like cultus lake sockeye the bigger the pink run the odds of encountering a sockeye lower at least that's what they used to say about cultus lake sockeye.

However as Fic says the marine catches have took a noise dive so I don't see them managing it for the P75 forecast will probably be p50.  If marine catches don't pick up we may even see a downgrade.

Still if there was ever a bone to toss to us the lower fraser pink fishery would be it. Man i hope

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »

It's a long shot but itll definitely be good news. I know pretty much everyone who fishes from a boat at the mouth of the Summas loves to chase them in from low tide. With access in the Fraser portion, itll definitely be a game changer.

The rumor says it would be a below mission bridge opening

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »

Confirmed with DFO there is no openings planned. Rumours are simply untrue

Sorry 😐

Also FYI they may downgrade the pink run tomorrow
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:52:16 PM by wildmanyeah »

mikeyman

« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2019, 05:03:15 AM »

Downgrade the pink run? There are lots out at the mouth. Cant keep them off while looking for springs right now.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2019, 06:23:08 AM »

most of the South Coast runs have done better than 2017 and it appears that for some, like the Squamish, like Indian Arm, the later components of those runs have been stronger than the earlier.

So if they downgrade it it still may come back at better than the p50 forecast.

It also looks like no one expects it to be less and a return of 5 million fish is 60% better than what came back in 2017.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »

Downgrade the pink run? There are lots out at the mouth. Cant keep them off while looking for springs right now.

Officially  downgraded.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »

Interesting they felt there are enough pinks in the Vedder and Harrison to support a rec fishery.  Is it because the Vedder and Harrison are hatchery enhanced?  Wondering how the chum fishery will turn out this year.  Last year they shut down the Stave for retention but allowed them to stay open the Vedder.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2019, 04:27:34 PM »

Interesting they felt there are enough pinks in the Vedder and Harrison to support a rec fishery.  Is it because the Vedder and Harrison are hatchery enhanced? 

it has nothing to do with the run size and everything to do with the fact that there are some first nation bands on the fraser that have not even harvested 1 salmon this year.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:32:36 PM by wildmanyeah »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »

Interesting they felt there are enough pinks in the Vedder and Harrison to support a rec fishery.  Is it because the Vedder and Harrison are hatchery enhanced?  Wondering how the chum fishery will turn out this year.  Last year they shut down the Stave for retention but allowed them to stay open the Vedder.
This certainly looks 100% like a calculated political move to keep the rec sector (including guides) happy while not having to give any exploitation of Fraser sockeye stocks to rec or commercial sectors.  I can't imagine DFO has any idea how many pinks are returning to the Vedder this year - it is far too early to estimate the run and as far as I know they don't have any methods in place to do that.  And I don't think there is any hatchery enhancement of pinks or chum in the Chilliwack or Harrison systems any more.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »

The Chilliwack I understand. The boudry is a bit inside the river. You would think fish that go past that line are destined for that system. The Harrison however is not the same. The boudry is right at the mouth. It's even open to Chinook retention ( for now ) in that area as of Sept 1st. How many spawning Pinks and Chinnook pop into that boundary just for a rest ? I imagine folks will be plunking from a boat. I know I'll be come Sept 1st.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »

This certainly looks 100% like a calculated political move to keep the rec sector (including guides) happy while not having to give any exploitation of Fraser sockeye stocks to rec or commercial sectors.  I can't imagine DFO has any idea how many pinks are returning to the Vedder this year - it is far too early to estimate the run and as far as I know they don't have any methods in place to do that.  And I don't think there is any hatchery enhancement of pinks or chum in the Chilliwack or Harrison systems any more.

wrongo all the way down.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2019, 09:22:52 PM »

wrongo all the way down.
At least partly - I found the data for 2017 releases and I see that the Chehalis produces some pink fry, but I don't see any hatchery production of pinks in the Chedder.  I'm not sure what in particular you disagree with otherwise - the politics of this opening, or do you know of some active sampling/counting of pinks in the Vedder to know what the return will be?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2019, 09:46:44 PM »

wrongo all the way down.

Ralph is right on this one.

purple monster

« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »

Can anyone tell me why there is no opening for pink above the Hwy 7 bridge on Harrison?  Has it always been excluded from the freshwater salmon supplement??

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »

Can anyone tell me why there is no opening for pink above the Hwy 7 bridge on Harrison?  Has it always been excluded from the freshwater salmon supplement??

I cant tell you why all I can say is, it's been like that for a while now. The last two cycles it was from what I recall.