Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 96626 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=224564&ID=all

3 Day opening for American Commercial boats for Pinks.

During the Panel call today the run size for pink salmon remained unchanged at
the p50 forecast level of 5,018,600 and an Area 20 timing of August 28. At this
run size there is international TAC available and US commercial fisheries were
approved beginning Wednesday, August 21 through Friday, August 23.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/fishingwithrod/photos/a.377539272711/10156680233852712

Posted my thoughts on today's decision.

Some of the harshest criticism I have herd you use in a very long time. Thanks for the write up.

means a lot

The extra sad part in all this with the fraser slide we could be running into this issue for decades to come every 4 years. low sockeye abundance(from slide) running into the steelhead closure.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:42:37 PM by wildmanyeah »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »

Well written. Never was a fan of DFO's fish management.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »

Well that's a nicely put together piece Rod but it neglects a couple of things.

Selective methods or tackle restrictions have created more conflict than unity among recreational anglers. Some of the people championing a short leader restriction for the Fraser have been adamant opponents of other tackle restrictions that they felt attacked & denied their own preferences. At times we seem to hate each other as much as other communities that exploit the resource.

Bonanzas like the bi-annual pink run brings out the worst activity among 'sports' anglers. Included among that has been the inability to identify between zero retention species, like pinks vs coho or pinks vs chinook. Perhaps if we as a community were better behaved in the past and at other times the situation could be different.

The fact is the recreational community comes last of the 3 sectors. Other sectors forced to challenge DFO and the Federal power won that tier system.

There are other fishing opportunities and this isn't the first time we've lived through a full salmon closure on the Fraser Mainstem during a pink return. Rather than cry in our beer we need to explore these. Just about anyone who goes can tell you the interior lakes or places like the Skagit are all but empty in September and October. Often that's the best fishing in those places of the year.

Fact is I have scheduled some fishing away during what was usually my favorite week of September to fish for pinks. It wasn't hard to guess that a Pink Salmon opening was a questionable thing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »

Fact is I have scheduled some fishing away during what was usually my favorite week of September to fish for pinks. It wasn't hard to guess that a Pink Salmon opening was a questionable thing.

Wow you knew that there was going to be a bad sockeye return. That because of a fraser river slide they were going to manage it to a 10% exploitation rate instead of a 20% and therefore not have anything left for the recreational sector.

Or did you just think the return of pinks was going to be small??

want to cry for the rest of the night watch this, Brought me to tears

https://www.facebook.com/SpruceCityWildlifeAssociation/videos/733417943784732/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »

Wow you knew that there was going to be a bad sockeye return. That because of a Fraser river slide they were going to manage it to a 10% exploitation rate instead of a 20% and therefore not have anything left for the recreational sector.

Or did you just think the return of pinks was going to be small??

want to cry for the rest of the night watch this, Brought me to tears

https://www.facebook.com/SpruceCityWildlifeAssociation/videos/733417943784732/

The effects of the slide is a tragedy but has zip to do with anything I said yet you styled it in your own inimitable way. The slide is a natural disaster has nothing to do with the dismal sockeye return so far this year. It just makes it that much worse. Stay home and cry if you want. It will make no difference.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2019, 10:23:22 PM »

But the slide does effect how they are managing exploitation  rates that then effects how they manage Chinook and pink fisheries.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:27:33 PM by wildmanyeah »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2019, 11:05:14 PM »

If I was the FN leadership, I would be arguing that DFO should not worry about the exploitation rate at all.  What is the point in letting 90% of sockeye escape upriver when the majority of them are going to tire out and die downstream of the slide anyway?  There is a finite amount of fish that DFO will be able to transport above the slide site.  The way things are going, there is no way they can transport even 50% of what shows up there.  It it totally illogical. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2019, 03:53:53 AM »

This is what happen in the 1980 when the rec community was not treated fairly, not that I am condoning such action but this did lead to a meeting with the fisheries minister of the time Tom Siddon. This got us a lot of fishing opportunity in the years ahead that we have now lost for one reason or another. Its a bit brutal to watch and should have PG rating and we all look a lot younger too.lol This is the first time I have made this clip public, from my video files.https://youtu.be/kHRREqs9prA

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:55 AM »

1980 when Thompson river chinook we’re down to less then 2K because they had been almost wiped out by commercial fishermen.

Now it’s the strongest run of chinook in the Fraser and in 2015 over 100k returned. This year looks like it may be just as strong as 2015. Thanks for posting interesting to see the arguments from back then.

I was part of a protest in north van this year at the ministers office. It resulted in the organizers getting 2 sit downs with the minister who blamed the ocean closures on First Nation priority.

He has no excuses tho on the Fraser when it comes to tackle restrictions would be interesting to see how he would handle it.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:39:16 AM by wildmanyeah »

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »

So basically this means rivers like the Vedder are going to be even more of a gong show then usual?

sockeyed

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2019, 01:24:26 PM »

So basically this means rivers like the Vedder are going to be even more of a gong show then usual?

Absolutely

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »

So much for the slogan of 'Fishing in the City' if you have to drive that far to the Vedder for pinks when they are blowing by us city folks by the millions in tidal Fraser. We need fishery ministers who have done enough fishing to know that your chance of catching a sockeye by casting a pink spoon from shore for pinks is zero. DFO just can't deny people a fair chance and freedom to enjoy the pink fishery every 2 years with so little excuse. More tackle shores will closed if they are not already if DFO can't even open the popular pink fishery with zero impact on sockeye or chinook. If it is that easy to hook these from tidal Fraser with a spoon, Chris would't be complaining about bb around Chilliwack or Hope all these years. LOL. Who in the right mind will spend all that time and gas of driving that far if they can catch sockeye and chinook with a lure here at Tidal Fraser. So for a fishery minister and his staff to be so ignorant about these facts on actual fishing on the Fraser is just mind boggling. On what basis and merits is a fishery minister appointed? Their decisions can affect so many and yet they seem to have practically zero knowledge on what really has been happening in the popular pink fishery or for that matter most other fisheries. Like Rod said, pink fishery is like a family affair where youngsters get the first taste of successful salmon fishing with the help of their parents while the family have a good time doing wholesome fishing activity together. This breeds the next generation of fishers, and that is mindlessly taken away from the youngsters. What is really wrong with DFO and its mindless administrators and staff?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:08:15 PM by Steelhawk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »

Ministerial appointments are political appointments nothing more.  :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24