Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 95247 times)

Tangles

Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »

Chubs and pikeminnows really picked up big time over the last few days - my cat is a happy cat  :P

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »

Going to be a good return this year must of released 15 of Thoes slime balls yesterday at sandheads. Did not bother keeping any. Did not have this issue in 2017. Annoying went though a pack of anchovies but managed one 15 pound chinook.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »

Current Fraser River Panel (FRP) information has determined that all four run timing groups of  Fraser R. Sockeye are in a low abundance exploitation rate (LAER) scenario.  At this time there are no allowable impacts available due to identified conservation concerns and the LAER is expected to be fully utilized in First Nation fisheries in fisheries directed at other species (i.e. Fraser Chinook).  This action is intended to mitigate potential impacts on sockeye and demonstrate priority to First Nations.  These management measures are being implemented given extremely poor returns of Fraser sockeye and extremely limited sockeye impacts available and to provide for priority access to chinook for First Nations food, social and ceremonial harvest opportunities.

Fraser pinks on the other hand appear to be returning at levels above the p75 forecast.  It is early in the migration but it is expected that the PSC will recommend a minimum Fraser River pink run size next week.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 04:03:29 PM »

Pack those pink rods up for two more years boys and girls. ;)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »

Pack those pink rods up for two more years boys and girls. ;)

Vedder will be open surely there is enough room for everyone!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »

There is a window where they may be able to have a pink fishery in the fraser it would be about september 15th-30th

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 06:01:23 PM »

Its like kicking a dead horse but if we did not have the threat of BB ing no reason we could not have a bar fishing only, no harm to sockeye numbers. Many of us said this many years ago it would come up and bite us. I thought the Alliance was close to having a 3 foot leader brought in too, where is that at?

I wonder if this is the first BB thread for this year as I donot check this site out like I used too.

As many of us oldtimers now say, we have seen the best of it on the Fraser River.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 06:24:14 PM »

Its like kicking a dead horse but if we did not have the threat of BB ing no reason we could not have a bar fishing only, no harm to sockeye numbers. Many of us said this many years ago it would come up and bite us. I thought the Alliance was close to having a 3 foot leader brought in too, where is that at?

I wonder if this is the first BB thread for this year as I donot check this site out like I used too.

As many of us oldtimers now say, we have seen the best of it on the Fraser River.

Its not about BB, its all about satisfying first nations, Way easier to make then have selective/beach seine fisheries when we are off the water. If it was about BB you could still open the lower fraser. The pink fishery is is a very important one, it's the one salmon fishery where you can walk down to the fraser cast a spoon and have a good chance at landing a salmon. It is often the fishery that gets people into it that then they go onto other fisheries.

as you said tho it really is like kicking a dead horse, IMO tho if we can somehow work with first nations in a process that does not have dfo involvement.  like a round table we would be better off.  If we had first nation approval to have a pink fishery I know DFO would let it happen.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »

The Test Fishery continue to be pretty decent.  I am guessing 13 Million Fraser Pinks for 2019. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »

Its not about BB, its all about satisfying first nations, Way easier to make then have selective/beach seine fisheries when we are off the water. If it was about BB you could still open the lower fraser. The pink fishery is is a very important one, it's the one salmon fishery where you can walk down to the fraser cast a spoon and have a good chance at landing a salmon. It is often the fishery that gets people into it that then they go onto other fisheries.

as you said tho it really is like kicking a dead horse, IMO tho if we can somehow work with first nations in a process that does not have dfo involvement.  like a round table we would be better off.  If we had first nation approval to have a pink fishery I know DFO would let it happen.
This is being tried once again, many years ago one was started here in Chilliwack and it started out OK but quickly fizzled out Rodney attended I believe and he can relate what happened.
As I said there has been cases and still is, a Round Table, Peace Keepers and other meetings but not many results as I see it. Then there was a story in the paper some F/N people are saying close the Fraser to the commercial and rec sector. It gave the indication we were fishing now. Here is the link  https://www.theprogress.com/e-editions/?iid=i20190814021913528&&headline=Q2hpbGxpd2FjayBQcm9ncmVzcywgQXVndXN0IDE0LCAyMDE5&doc_id=190814091930-2ee6991664eaee3ef935cb5375d6dd98&fbclid=IwAR1VctDX3C3646BCPCnyF65-aFhdtV8NcD26p0PiJ_Ml88nBkOoQHZtgHiE page 6. Not encouraging is it?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 08:27:18 PM »

The Test Fishery continue to be pretty decent.  I am guessing 13 Million Fraser Pinks for 2019.

my guess is over 5. How much over ? I'm going with 6.2mil. Last year the official total was over the estimated

psd1179

• Old Timer

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »

This is being tried once again, many years ago one was started here in Chilliwack and it started out OK but quickly fizzled out Rodney attended I believe and he can relate what happened.
As I said there has been cases and still is, a Round Table, Peace Keepers and other meetings but not many results as I see it. Then there was a story in the paper some F/N people are saying close the Fraser to the commercial and rec sector. It gave the indication we were fishing now. Here is the link  https://www.theprogress.com/e-editions/?iid=i20190814021913528&&headline=Q2hpbGxpd2FjayBQcm9ncmVzcywgQXVndXN0IDE0LCAyMDE5&doc_id=190814091930-2ee6991664eaee3ef935cb5375d6dd98&fbclid=IwAR1VctDX3C3646BCPCnyF65-aFhdtV8NcD26p0PiJ_Ml88nBkOoQHZtgHiE page 6. Not encouraging is it?

I talked to two first nations cheifs about the link you posted and this one https://bc.ctvnews.ca/close-fraser-river-to-all-fishing-while-assessing-rockslide-musqueam-say-1.4542244.

Their response to me was not my Nation and their goverment does not speak for me.  There is however one thing you will never see and that is one First Nation calling out another.

I think tho it does highlight the difficulties of setting up a round table with so many individual nations on the lower Fraser.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »

I talked to two first nations cheifs about the link you posted and this one https://bc.ctvnews.ca/close-fraser-river-to-all-fishing-while-assessing-rockslide-musqueam-say-1.4542244.

Their response to me was not my Nation and their goverment does not speak for me.  There is however one thing you will never see and that is one First Nation calling out another.

I think tho it does highlight the difficulties of setting up a round table with so many individual nations on the lower Fraser.

It's easy for the wealthy bands along the Fraser to say stop fishing. Tswassen, Musqueam and others can get by. The uo stream bands need the salmon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24