Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake Boat Size Tips  (Read 4755 times)

WEEFISH

Lake Boat Size Tips
« on: July 02, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »

Hello we have a 12 ft with a 9.9 but wish to get a bigger roomier upgrade. Whats everyones preference ?

Looking for your thoughts on size for Lake boats. If we go bigger with motor we are restricted from some lakes. Thinking 14-15 foot but then bigger motor is needed? Is the electric enough for the small lakes ?

Any other thoughts , suggestions or tips

<"((((><

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Lake Boat Size Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »

On a trailer?  Budget?  Overall intended use?  Given only what you said;

I would go 1440 or 1448 modified V with a 15hp that may or may not have 9.9 decals + a 50lb electric for trolling

(Your existing 9.9 will be fine, but not fast, especially loaded down)

WEEFISH

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:22:12 PM »

Yes  on trailer, looking to upgrade as we get older from lifting the boat from the truck. Im looking around $5-$10 thousand but more for the right fit and condition. 14-15 seems big enough with out going over board on there little lakes. Thanks for the motor advise. a lot of the 14-15 ft have 25-30 motors
<"((((><

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:42:54 AM »

1442 has been a great car topper for me, but if you are putting one on the trailer, 1448 would be pretty awesome...

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 06:01:34 AM »

This has always been a challenging situation for me. I've always done the off the beaten path thing. The bigger the boat, the more popular larger lake you are stuck with. Once you have a trailer, yer done. I sold my Jon two years ago. It still remains my biggest regret. All I could say is, do not get rid of the topper. Dont be afraid to get a larger boat. Buy keep the smaller boat when you get the itch to fish a smaller lake

WEEFISH

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:19:22 AM »

This seems to be the dilemma  ???
Thanks for your input. I guess it really comes to do I want a camper or trailer...the boat will be what fits with that.
<"((((><

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »

Maybe one of those electric winch lifters like Rod has would be helpful?

chironomidking

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »

It is  hard to only have 1 boat for all things.  I have:
-1448 Mod V with 30 hp and bow mount electric for bigger lakes (Red, Roche, Edith, Peterhope, Tunkwa, Stump...) and rivers (Fraser, Harrison, Pit, Vedder...). Trailered
- 7'9" wooden pram with 30 lb electric for smaller lakes or rough access (Jimmy, Jacko, 6 Mile, Morgan, Dardenelles, Powerline, Gardom, Phillips...). Loaded in the back of the Tacoma.

I can take both boats if needing to do day trips with the pram.  Works for me. 

WEEFISH

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 08:34:48 AM »

Is the winch like a boat loader or just a winch to pull boat into the truck box
<"((((><

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »

--had a 6 hp on a 12ft...it actually planed faster on a 14 ft. It depends a lot on the hull shape, weight of the boat and distribution of weight in the boat. For sure you don't get the water ski type holeshot with the smaller motor but as long as it can get up on plane you will get the speed and gas savings. Really the only way is to try something or see something similar you like then go shopping for the same. Each of us has our own idea of what we most want the boat for and what we expect of it. IF you get a bigger boat and start adding permanent fixtures like floors, casting platforms etc. then you're going to need more hp. Most suggest getting max hp allowed for the boat, especially if you are intending to go any distance with it. A lot of the larger lakes can get nasty in a hurry so if you are going to be on the far side or some distance from your launch WOT before the waves get too nasty may be on top of your list. If you are just going for comfort and safety within reasonable reach of your launch point then the expense and weight of a larger motor may not be necessary.  Having the motor in the correct position and tilt, without electric tilt you will have to make a decision and a bit for playing around to get the most efficient use. Have some settings for one person in the boat, fully loaded and different water conditions so that you can adjust as required. On the larger engines, you may have some prop options as well that will improve the performance that you most use... a tachometer is valuable for adjustments but you can usually at least hear the difference enough for rough tuning.  It is not likely you will get everything you want so you have to choose what features are most important for your use and hopefully find an outfit with enough adjustments to optimize your use.   

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »

It is tough to have one boat for sure.

One approach is to have your best fishing buddy have a different style of boat than you.

Or if you're me, I have a;

17 foot fiberglass fish and ski,  with 115HP plus different kickers depending where I am fishing, either 55lb electric or a 5HP.

And a 14 foot tinny. 

And a basic sit-in fishing kayak.

And a float tube, that I never use.

And not much space left for anything else.

WEEFISH

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 10:41:15 AM »

Thanks this is exactly the info im gathering. No need for fraser or ocean just a range of lakes. was hoping for a bit more space from the 12 so maybe a 14 ft will be enough without going overboard
<"((((><

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »

Looking for your thoughts on size for Lake boats. If we go bigger with motor we are restricted from some lakes. Thinking 14-15 foot but then bigger motor is needed? Is the electric enough for the small lakes ?
There arent a whole lot of power restricted lakes, but keeping it to <10HP will maximize your options and will still push a 14' pretty good. You may not be getting on plane when loaded up, but will have power to venture onto the larger lakes.

Earlier this spring a friend and I rented a 16' jon from Tunwka, and it only had a 8HP but moved surprisingly well. Fishing two out of the 16' jon was amazing with how much space it had. Quite the luxury.

An electric will work for small lakes, though smaller doesnt necessarily mean less wind, but one can expect smaller waves.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 12:03:31 AM »

There arent a whole lot of power restricted lakes, but keeping it to <10HP will maximize your options and will still push a 14' pretty good. You may not be getting on plane when loaded up, but will have power to venture onto the larger lakes.

Earlier this spring a friend and I rented a 16' jon from Tunwka, and it only had a 8HP but moved surprisingly well. Fishing two out of the 16' jon was amazing with how much space it had. Quite the luxury.

An electric will work for small lakes, though smaller doesnt necessarily mean less wind, but one can expect smaller waves.

I also was fortunate enough to fish out of the 16 at Tunkwa and if you want room it has plenty.
Great set up foresure.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 08:36:03 AM »

I also was fortunate enough to fish out of the 16 at Tunkwa and if you want room it has plenty.
Great set up foresure.

--This would be a great option...rent and give it a try before buying something that may not work for you.