Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake Boat Size Tips  (Read 4785 times)

TacoChris

Re: Lake Boat Size Tips
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 10:16:23 AM »

On a larger boat your battery will drain faster with an electric motor. If you are going for short trips or have ability to charge your battery its not an issue. If you have an electric now and you go with a much larger boat you may also find its not powerful enough.

I go fishing with my buddies 14ft Lowe 1442 3 guys and gear with his 9.8.30 lbs trust electric is a fine if the wind is down.  Two of us are very large guys with the lightweight 175lbs guy in the center to pass me beers. It will not get up on the plane with all of us but we have had no issues on lakes like Sheridan. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 12:28:59 PM »

I can troll in my 17' fibreglass for 6 hours easy with one deep cycle battery with my 55lb (maximizer) Minn Kota.

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 01:39:50 PM »

I use a group 31 AMG and use an electric to troll for Kokanee. My boat wet is about 1200 pounds. I can troll for 10 hours. The plus to an AGM is its able to charge at a higher amperage. They are expensive tho. I run three batteries in my boat. Cranking, trolling and a 45amp hour for my Chartplotter and Panoptix module

WEEFISH

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »

Thanks for all this great stuff to consider. So much to pick from
<"((((><

GordJ

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 12:39:43 PM »

Heres a solution to your questions, https://www.lodestaroutfitters.com/boatsforrent I've dealt with them and they are very good to deal with. Try as many boats as you want this summer and shop for the winner in the off season.

WEEFISH

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 07:13:00 AM »

definatley anoption if you dont have a boat. We have the 12 ft boat looking at one a little bigger and wondering the pros and cons for upsizing. $300 is ok I guess to try out the lrger size
<"((((><