Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 CFL Season  (Read 41951 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: 2019 CFL Season
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »

Just a thought.
The SK D lineman was beating our tackle on nearly every play.
In fact that SK Roughrider D lineman age 35 I think got the "player of the game".
Thought the ex Lion QB of the Riders should of got it.
But why was not our tackle not given some help.
It was clear it was a mis-match.
The RB of the Lions should of blocked the rush on the right side of the line after our tackle got beat.
Looking back at QBs Doug Flutie & Danny McManus when they got rushed A) Flutie would take off on a roll out either left or right & even reverse field & the D lineman would run all over trying to tackle him.
After 5-6 plays of these big 280 325 lb guys running after him they would get slower & slower...weaker & weaker. Flutie was like the road runner.
Why doesn't Reilly start to run left or right on roll outs when there's not time to throw from the pocket?
Let the big guys chase him & tire themselves out.
Reilly has good wheels. Move the pocket about & also roll outs...that sets up screens & draws too or swing passes... as now the D big boys are forced to move to an angle...& get off balanced. The big boys like to power straight ahead & grab the QB. They do not like powering ahead & find the QB 5-6 yds to the right or left. Now they have to put the brakes & restart....extra effort.
B) Danny Mac when pressured would run 4/5 yards to the side & throw the ball.
His receivers knew this so they would re adjust their route knowing Danny was going to throw the ball quickly. They would run & make themselves a target. Timing.
They were on the same page.
Receiver sees Danny McManus flushed out of the pocket so get open because he is going to throw the ball in the next 2-3 seconds.
Ever so often he'd fake pass & decide to run & no one expected it. 20 yard gain.  ;D
Lions were doing ok for half the game but SK just had so much energy...fans going nuts...
Plus ex Lions on Riders were wanting a big win.
Teams get so ready against the Lions. That loss in Calgary was such a downer.

Honestly it's pay back & Saturday it should be a Lion slaughter over the Riders.
Enough is enough & the real BC Lions will show up. Think so...
But they should do play action on every play & fake hand off. RB help out O line.
of course some plays do hand off the ball. Rushers have to honour a possible hand off. That little delay it makes helps a lot.
Nickel & dime passes down field & yak yds.
D linemen cannot get to Reilly if he gets off quick passes.
Then surprise the D with a down field post / streak route... if covered have a 2nd go to shorter pass.
 Reilly hopefully will not just drop back on every play. Move the pocket & also do some roll outs.
Let RB help out pass protection.
On Saturday after a big win by the Lions let's have FA drive home going "Yes Yes what a great win...Happy Days are here again..let FA be whistling Dixie or his favourite tunes..."
Roughrider you are raw meat....for a pack or pride of hungry lions  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:53:39 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »

If the casual fans see what's wrong why can't the Offensive Coordinator Jarius (or Various as some Lion fans are calling him) Jackson ? Brett Boyko may have spent a couple of seasons on the NFL practice squad, he's clearly lacking foot speed to play in the CFL

arimaBOATER

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »

Another game another loss.
Games are won in the trenches & Lions O & D line were no match for the SK O & D linemen.
Again Reilly just sits in the pocket. Did he ever roll out even once?
Did he take off & run up /down field ?
Was there even one screen or draw play ?
Lulay I know when the heat came he'd immediately take off on a roll out & more often than not buy time & throw a strike down field.
O'Brian the back up QB I think should make a start & let Reilly heal up both mentally/physically.
The back up guy is taller & he gets the ball away very quickly.
Just maybe being taller he can get the quick hitters over the heads of the coming D linemen & a better ball to the Lion recievers.
Reilly needs to sit out the next one & if the Lions win with the back up leave him in as long as he stays "hot ".
Some change has to be made & a QB move re ignites a team that is down. Like a goalie change when an NHL team loses too many games.
Sorry FA you had to see your & my team get slaughtered.
Looks like kids playing against men for the most part.
Riders had hotel air conditioning & slept well last night ( so so hot yesterday 31 C ) & maybe Lion players for the most part only had air fans where they slept. Maybe Riders got a better sleep.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2019, 09:01:22 PM »

Worst offensive showing I have ever seen and I have seen more than my share. Jackson has to be fired.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »

Worst offensive showing I have ever seen and I have seen more than my share. Jackson has to be fired.
Paul Brothers ex BC Lion QB if still "kicking" & if he checks what the team is doing must be feeling good right now. If the Lions keep having a nightmare season the Lion fans with grey hair will now tell future stories how bad the Paul Brothers era was & the 2019 season.
This will be fresh wounds so many Lion followers with no grey hair will remember this season for the next 50 yrs !!!! Yep guys like FA & myself remember Lion neg. & pos. from 50 yrs ago & even more.
Maybe the guy/gal who won 60 million $$$ in Richmond will buy the team this week or next & clean slate. Fire top to bottom & start again.  ;D
Also the guy with 60 million can refund season ticket holders or at least a portion.
......but seriously the Lions got an OL from the Stamps in some deal.
They have a bye week so more than a week to regroup.
Because of a bye week Reilly has to be the starter but if he cannot get anything going put him on a short leash & put in O'Brian QB in the 2nd half.
Go Lions Go.
Have not a clue who the Lions play next ??? Do not bet the house on a Lion win.
Even I am not too optimistic as there are so many break downs mis tackles bad play calling ...just a real mess.
Ya just know who ever plays against them comes in thinking they will win.
Each loss is like weights on their backs & stress levels go up & up...like a pressure cooker pot on the stove. Only 3-4 wins in the next 5 games will let out some steam...
But honestly I blame Reilly also because he just sits in the pocket time after time & gets nailed.
There is no law to break to scramble out of the pocket & try to make things happen. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:15:15 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2019, 07:52:34 PM »

Lions next opponent is a back to back with Hamilton. Ti-Cats even without Jeremiah Masoli will give the Lions all they can handle.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »

Lions next opponent is a back to back with Hamilton. Ti-Cats even without Jeremiah Masoli will give the Lions all they can handle.
Oh that's good news.
Back up QB & eastern team ...
Lions just may have a chance after all.
The western teams are strong & have the Lions number.
FA check out ...cflpedia.
Good info.
Plus google Tom Wilkerson. Interesting story.
BC Lions cut him after a very short time & he just went on to the Eskimos & was in a two QB starting system. Shared #1 with Bruce Lettermen & Warren Moon.
Many Grey Cups later.
He was not a well built guy but he never missed a game he started or put into...
First thought teams thought he'd be injury prone.
On cflpedia it tells the passing yard of past QBs.
Danny McManus has a sizeable amount.
Many CFL QBs well known guys yet just have only 10,000 yds or so.
Short careers I guess.
Russ Jackson for example.
Thought Doug Flutie would of had more.
Wilky is still alive & so is Paul Brothers.
Roy Dewalt not that many yds.
It would bug me when he had a bad game & Don Matthews left him in. 2 & out.
Come on Matthews put in the back up.
Great history.
Can not think of his name but Lions had a coach who was fiery. He would go nuts at times. Coached around 1980 era I think.
Once Esks ran up the score & this coach ran across the field when gun sounded & tried to get after the Esk coach.  ;D
Eagle Keys did not last long as Lions coach.
Favourite BC Lion players...Jim Young, Mervn Fernandez, Geroy Simons, Louie P. field goal kicker/punter,
James Quick Parker, Ken Sugerman OL ,Jamie Taras OL,
Actually this present Lion team in 2019 is so stripped of it's former players /coaches no wonder they are in adjustments. Your right J Jackson should of been seen the door long time ago. Offensive Coordinator needs replacing. Play calling is not being adjusted to what is happening on the field.
But Lions are at rock bottom so no place to go but up....
When your smiling when your smiling the whole world smiles with you....when your frowning when your frowning ( Lions losses ) they just want to kick ya in the head. 
Amazingly the fans are not booing at the game. Too shocked I guess. 
Gee like a Canucks home game against Leafs too many Toronto fans invade our rink Booooooooooo!
Last home game at BC Place too many Rider fans in the stadium dressed in green...Boooooooooooo!
I believe in freedom, free speech but there should be a ticket limit on opposing Leaf & Rider fans.
Sell only a limit of 100 tickets  ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:52:31 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »

The fiery coach was Vic Rapp, one of my favourites. Former Lions helped build Edmonton dynasty: Tom Wilkinson, Don Warrington, Ron Estay, Larry Highbaugh ..............

arimaBOATER

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 07:50:42 AM »

The fiery coach was Vic Rapp, one of my favourites. Former Lions helped build Edmonton dynasty: Tom Wilkinson, Don Warrington, Ron Estay, Larry Highbaugh ..............
Yes Vic Rapp. That's the guy.
Estay had radar ...watch out ball carrier. Highbaugh was a short guy but super talented defender.
He could jump high for intercepts & sneaky & fast.
Think he returned kick offs & punts sometimes.
Remember Gizmo Williams.
Dave Ritchie was a good BC Lion coach. Big Grey Cup in '94. Wins over Esk Stamps & Baltimore.
Remember Danny Barrett having a 601 yd passing game for the Lions at BC Place. Assume you were there witnessing that great game. Long bombs galore.
Yr later Dunigan beat the passing record with 700 something passing yds !!!!!! ( in one game...unreal )
So much great history in the CFL. Really like Joe Paopao throwing motion & how he had nice touch on the ball. Nice angles & arches to his throws.
If it needed to drop into the receivers hands or a fast ball or if receiver wax open he'd get that ball to him that was easy to catch. Chest high & not too fast. Morehead &  Jerry Tagge similar type QBs. As was Peter Liske & Hufnkle(sp) Kent Austin was moody but good Ha! Danny McManus good & happy smily guy.
Ronny Lancaster serious guy who loved winning & hated losing as QB or coach.
Remember Pringle. On any given day a team can win the big one that rose to the occasion.
Winnipeg this year seems to have it all. Bets on favourite to be this yrs champs if they stay healthy.
And Joe Kapp. Legends like Russ Jacksson Jackie Parker.
This league has so many great great players in the past & coaches...how time flys.
Tracy Ham. Damon Allen. Just been thinking of the many past greats lately.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2019, 10:43:51 PM »

Watched the game "live" & thought I'd better wait till posting.
This should be a 3-5 W/L team but they are a 1-7 W/L team.
It was heart breaking as Hamilton came storming back with field goal & 2 TDs to just get by the Lions.
With a minute or so left the Lions marched down field & looked like they could get 1-2 more first downs & get 3 pts or even punt the ball thru the end zone for a pt to at least tie the game but ball was tipped by a lineman on Reilly's throw & the intercepted by a defender. Drive stopped game set & match.
Reilly injured his ankle with about 6-8 minutes left in the game ( was it? ) & his mobility was hampered.
He was in pain.
Yes he wanted to finish the game as he is a fighter but for the good of the team he should of sat & let the back up QB to come in.
How was Banks only single covered in the 4th QTR. He should of been double teamed DB & safety should of been on him.
Honestly it looked like the Lions had this game in the bag as they looked very good & Tigercats so so...
The OL was improved.
Thought BC Lions offence lacked creativity.
Should of had some screens or delayed draws & also Carter should be given at least 2-3 chances to go for a long bomb down field. He's got speed & height & if he gets a step on the DB & the ball is on the money it will be good yardage. All he's given it seems are wide out throws.
The Lions though looked improved & over all an exciting game.
But too many yards the Tigercats made on special teams...return punts kick offs.
Lions should be in a nasty mood when they play on Thursday in Winnipeg & wonder how Reilly's ankle will be ?  Short week. Maybe just as well they play in a few days thus need to prepare...thus to get their mind off this loss. Winnipeg is one of the best teams this year so it will not be easy.
Great to see some great past coaches/players etc...get into the Foolball Hall of Fame. Swerven Merv Franandez for one.
Well the Lions had the chinook next to the boat ready to be netted but somehow it got away.
Tigercats come to BC in 1.5 weeks & think the Lions will be super up for this game.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:04:19 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2019, 11:19:18 PM »

Special teams was anything but special. It cost them the game.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »

What if ......dreaming .....ya never know.....
Say O'Brian our backup QB plays Thurs as the medical team does not recommend Reilly to play( injured angle...twisted ) & the Lions "light it up" offensively. Total yards 450 -500 range. & score aprox. 55-25 for a Lion W in Winnipeg.
Fans & sports writers will want O'Brian to get a second start & Reilly sit another week.  ;D
Yes the psychology / gossip of sports.
Reilly truly wants to be the leader & starter but if O'Reilly gets the Lions on a win streak....Reilly will have to eat humble pie.
Team will just put out in media Reilly's ankle not 100% as yet but can play if pressed into duty.
Hey sometimes the back up goalie gets a chance & he shows what he can do... so too with QBs.
Reilly was a backup guy when he first came into the league but he got his chance & had been a # 1 guy since. Grey Cup & big pay....

arimaBOATER

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2019, 09:01:29 PM »

Bombers win 30 something to 16...
Close score / game into the 3rd but then come more sacks ...block punt...turn overs...
Reilly's ankle must of been ok as he kept the ball on a few 3rd down plays.
But why does he just stay in the pocket when throwing ?
The D just pins their ears & go for the "target".
At least roll out sometimes & or fake handoff to to slow up the rush.
Bombers threw a screen on long yardage needed on 2nd down & the play went 16 or more yds for a 1st down.
Where was our screen plays?
But gotta like the long bomb pass by Carter to his fellow reciever.
When Bombers QB injured his shoulder they knew the backup guy was not as good.
Lions needed pts so why did they not go into the hurry up offence....if they could of got 2 fast TDs & get a stop on the back up QB they would of had time to strike & get the lead & win.
8 minutes is eternity in the CFL so go on the hurry up offence ....& get pts.
Did ya see that burger they sell at the Winnipeg stadium !!!! Walby burger. Named after their past big offensive tackle. Seeing that $45 burger & then a Big Mac commercial came on  ;D
Big Mac looked anything but big after seeing the Walby burger.
What now ? Regroup & get a big home win & then beat the eastern teams they face....
Maybe change Reilly's number (13 ) to number 9 for starters.
Or give the Lions pre game meal a thawed out micro wave Walby burger with side of large fries.
( ya the players would be wanting to lay down on a bench or couch like Lions eating a large kill ...so scrap that idea....  )
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:15:18 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 09:34:37 PM »

Another embarrassing performance by the Special Teams. Guarantee loss night next Saturday against Hamilton.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »

Another embarrassing performance by the Special Teams. Guarantee loss night next Saturday against Hamilton.
;D That's funny! Guarantee loss night. Ouch !
Or Lions advertisement : First 5000 fans thru the gate get free ex Leaf fan used brown paper bags.
Eye & nose hole already cut. 4000 bags will fit large to medium heads....1000 smaller bags for smaller heads...for the kiddies.
Something tells me that the Lions just may surprise us.
Another loss some fans may have heart pains....
A win will be a shock to see...some fans may have heart pains.
Come on Lions get your teeth sharpened up & get a W & another W & another W....
ROAR again ...let us hear the ROAR from False Creek to Hope BC...
Yes I have hope...this will happen. 2 plus 2 is 10 I tell ya. Me logical & smart.
Seriously these guys must need a few tune ups in prep & a good kick in the butt. Hard practises to get the frustration worked out ...
Edit in: first 5000 fans get free brown bag but only 1 hole cut for 1 eye. So it's best first 5000 fans see only thru 1 eye to really appreciate the free gifts.
Honestly if Reilly is playing just so so by half time next game put the back up QB in the 2nd half.
Some plays Reilly should drop back & then roll out to the right....5-10 yds..to buy time.
The D big boys will charge & angle in to the pocket & go "where's Reilly ? Oh he's over the the right.
Now they have to shift & turn & restart to run a dif. direction or angle. They then get tired quicker. Linemen like to burst rush & stop after 5-7 seconds. They do not like chasing 8 secs or more. Too much work.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:14:34 PM by A-BOATER »