Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in the vedder?  (Read 21360 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Bass in the vedder?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 12:49:02 PM »

...and your point is?

I wasn't talking about 'the the efforts of the hard working people that kept this stock a live' as once again you divert to straw man arguments and putting words in my mouth.

that was a general comment not directed at you.  More directed at my own comments and thoughts actually as a reason to keep going with the hatchery enhancement of this stock.

Our society isn't willing to give up what is needed to save this salmon stock or moist others for that matter. That's the point.

Yes and that is my original point why spend money on them when there is no hope of changing the root causes this stock faces.  Not to mention we are still over fishing this stock in 2010 and 2014 over 50% of the returns were caught in fisheries.

So why bother putting out all the science year after year? spending tones of money and man hours on it?

Its up for another SARA review too in the the next few years why bother?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 08:40:44 AM »

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/ResDocs-DocRech/2019/2019_011-eng.pdf

Thirteen alien freshwater fish species have established populations within the Fraser River
drainage and there is always the concern that a new species may become established that
impacts native salmonids. Brown trout (Salmo trutta), a predator of juvenile salmon, were
introduced to the Cowichan River more than 80 years ago. The majority of the species currently
occupying habitats within the lower mainland appear to pose little to no risk to migrating
salmonids. However, three spiny rayed fish: Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides),
Smallmouth Bass (M. dolomieu), and Yellow Perch (Perca flavescens), are considered a threat
to Fraser River Chinook Salmon. A risk assessment completed in 2009 indicated the risk that
these invasive fin fish represented to native species was high (DFO 2010b). Their British
Columbia distribution was described by Runciman and Leaf (2009).

Largemouth Bass is a voracious piscivore that will consume salmonid juveniles (Brown et al.
2009b). To date they have not become established in the interior Fraser basin, but they now
inhabit the mouths of tributary streams, backwaters, and sloughs throughout the lower Fraser
River. A fish-wheel operating in the main Fraser River above Misson B.C. in 2009-10 caught 32
Largemouth Bass (G. Cronkite, DFO, Nanaimo, BC, pers. comm.), so they are known to utilize
the main river. Although the number of bass residing within the lower Fraser River is unknown,
the species is well established and appears to be thriving. Largemouth Bass have the potential
to consume large numbers of juvenile Chinook as they migrate to sea, thus impacting
productivity of interior Fraser River Chinook CUs. Largemouth Bass have also been formally
identified as a threat to native fish species (DFO 2011).

Smallmouth Bass reside in the littoral zone of lakes and slower moving rivers (Brown et al.
2009c). They are also piscivorous and can have a significant impact on native communities
through predation on small-bodied fish, and are considered to be a threat to native species
(Tovey et al. 2008; DFO 2010c). There is considerable literature that demonstrates that
Smallmouth Bass prey on juvenile Chinook although the ultimate effect on salmonid abundance
varies (Brown et al. 2009c; Counihan et al. 2012). In 2006, Smallmouth Bass were found in
Beaver Creek, a tributary of the Quesnel River (L.-M. Herborg, Province of British Columbia,
Victoria, B.C., pers. comm.). The Province of BC has initiated and maintains an active control
program since 2007 (L.-M. Herborg, Province of British Columbia, Victoria, B.C., pers. comm.);
however, it is likely Smallmouth Bass will eventually move downstream into the Quesnel River.
They will ultimately reduce Chinook productivity in the Quesnel drainage through predation and
may put at risk Fraser Chinook in that system (Tovey et al. 2008; DFO 2010c).

Yellow Perch is a highly adaptable species that can utilize a wide range of habitats (Brown et al
2009a). They are considered to be lacustrine-limnetic although in larger lakes, they utilize the
littoral zone. Perch juveniles tend to bottom-feed, and larger perch will consume fish eggs and
fish (Brown et al. 2009a). When introduced into small lakes, Yellow Perch can have severe
impacts on native fish species, largely as a result of competition for food (Bradford et al. 2008;
Brown et al. 2009a). Its impact in larger lakes may be less severe, though less information is
available. Competition and predation will occur where habitat utilization overlaps, especially lake
edge habitat. Spiny ray species (i.e. Yellow Perch) have the potential to dominate fish
assemblages, through both predation and interspecies competition (Brown et al. 2009a). Yellow
Perch were found in small lakes bordering Shuswap and Adams Lake in 1996 (Runciman and
Leaf 2009). Nine small interior lakes were rotenone treated from 2008-10 to eradicate the dense
populations of Yellow Perch that had developed (L.-M. Herborg, Province of British Columbia,
Victoria, B.C., pers. comm.). Yellow Perch were captured in Adams Lake in 2008 and spring
2009, during a spiny ray fish inventory program (Lynda Ritchie, DFO, Kamloops, B.C., pers.
comm.). The likely source of introduction was from an established population in Forest Lake
which is connected to Adams Lake via Sinmax Creek. Another population of Yellow Perch was
found in Rosemond Lake which is directly connected to Mara Lake that drains into Shuswap
Lake in January 2013 (Andrew Klassen, Province of British Columbia, Victoria, B.C., pers.
comm.). There is high risk regarding the possible spread in range and potential of these
introduced fish to impact native fish populations, including interior Chinook Salmon within the
Thompson River system (DFO 2010b). Once these invasive species redistribute and enter into
larger water bodies such as Shuswap Lake, they put all fish species at risk and are very difficult
to eliminate. Although they may not cause extinction, they will alter natural patterns of species
diversity and reduce native fish productivity

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 08:44:13 AM »

Any tips on targeting the bass in Cultus lake ? I have never fished for bass before but I spend most of my summer at Cultus Lake. Thought it might be fun to catch a few as well as rid the lake of a few. Rod you seem to have some knowledge about these fish, lures, locations ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »

The easiest way to catch bass honestly is just with bait. We used to do really well by fishing with deli shrimp... It was one fish after another.

Spinners tossed into structured waters work well too. Dropshotting grubs, dragging a tubebait are all fun ways to catch them.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »

Thanks for tips

blueback

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 01:18:21 PM »

Growing up back east, on still water, we used to have a ton of fun using surface lures like poppers and wigglers. It's awesome to see a bucketmouth come up and inhale the plug. Like what Rod said, you can do really well in structure, especially downed tress or lily pads.

santefe

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »

I remember fishing for bass in Ontario and using crickets and small frogs,
Once in awhile we might have used a red headed plug.
This is from the late 50s...
That being being said in my opinion bass do not belong in the Vedder or in Cultus lake.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »

I haven't heard that the bass in Cultus are in fishable numbers just that they are there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 07:23:09 AM »

There were some caught last year and the year before. I also know that a local diver who services anchor buoys in the lake has seen a few so I guess I'll find out.

fisherforever

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »

Fisheries did a swim count last year and counted over 2000 bass with some in the 5-6 lb range

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »

They are in there. I know two guys that go there specially for the Bass and do quite well. I've caught bass in Devils lake in Mission as well and I've seen pictures of Bass in Stave lake. The popular it gets the more people will move them around. I feel that in 10 years from now every lake in the valley will have them. Maybe the whole province. It's becoming an issue in the Cariboo too. I dont get it. I think there needs to be more enforcement and if someone is caught they need to seize their car and make life extremely difficult to send a message that it's not ok.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 12:12:51 PM »

Can you imagine how much increased enforcement would be required. You'd need someone stationed at every waterbody 24/7 to even have a chance at catching someone illegally introducing.

The theoretical penalties are already very high, and I think there is even a reward for reports leading to busting someone. Serious question though, has anyone ever been charged for that? It sounds like a nearly impossible thing to prevent if some dope is determined to do it...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

There population is not increasing because of introduction its increasing because the climate is becoming for favorable to them.  Not saying the bucket brigade is not a problem but not one any amount of enforcement hours are going to solve.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fraser-river-skating-rink-1.3926794

Largemouth Bass is a voracious piscivore that will consume salmonid juveniles (Brown et al.
2009b). To date they have not become established in the interior Fraser basin, but they now
inhabit the mouths of tributary streams, backwaters, and sloughs throughout the lower Fraser
River. A fish-wheel operating in the main Fraser River above Misson B.C. in 2009-10 caught 32
Largemouth Bass (G. Cronkite, DFO, Nanaimo, BC, pers. comm.)
, so they are known to utilize
the main river. Although the number of bass residing within the lower Fraser River is unknown,
the species is well established and appears to be thriving. Largemouth Bass have the potential
to consume large numbers of juvenile Chinook as they migrate to sea, thus impacting
productivity of interior Fraser River Chinook CUs. Largemouth Bass have also been formally
identified as a threat to native fish species (DFO 2011).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:26:13 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »

I thought the bass in Cultus were Smallmouths
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 01:33:10 PM »

I always enjoy a laugh when pro Bass folks says it's because of climate change. People are actively transporting Bass. It's an epic problem. There should be zero tolerance or excuses for deliberately transporting invasive species