Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recent Chehalis River conflicts  (Read 8902 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Recent Chehalis River conflicts
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »

That's the side where they do not want people to walk through. The healing house is where their children and elders utilize for various activities, and anyone who works there has to go through criminal background checks etc so their concerns have mainly on having unauthorized individuals walking through the property which includes the dyke.

Re: Jet boat. Most have been people heading up to fish. There have been situations that involved the the jet boat pulling up where families are swimming in the area, and proceeding to fish which lead to kids throwing rocks in the water and you can kind of figure out what followed after that.

Aki

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »

Just wondering if the parking lot across the bridge and to the left will be open. This is the area that has some camping in the back and had an outhouse at the parking lot which comes in handy. This parking area has been has been closed with a gate for a while. The parking lot helps with parking off the road and also with fishing in the area and up river (e.g. canyon etc.).

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 04:11:57 PM »

Just wondering if the parking lot across the bridge and to the left will be open. This is the area that has some camping in the back and had an outhouse at the parking lot which comes in handy. This parking area has been has been closed with a gate for a while. The parking lot helps with parking off the road and also with fishing in the area and up river (e.g. canyon etc.).
X2

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 04:13:12 PM »

It used to be open years ago. I notice its been closed all the time now. LAST steelhead season I had a FN man tell me I couldn't park on the side of the road like I had for years. Apparently it wasnt allowed. There are no parking signs there now as well. I never parked in front of the gate or anything. Always between the bridge and the gate.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »

With a good amount of water now being on the reserve side is there not some kind of opportunity for first nations to take advantage of sports fishmern. Like a paid parking area or something?? was there interest anything like that?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 04:15:44 PM »

With a good amount of water now being on the reserve side is there not some kind of opportunity for first nations to take advantage of sports fishmern. Like a paid parking area or something?? was there interest anything like that?

No kidding. I'd pay for parking there. As long as a net isnt blocking the river mouth again.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »

I have a lot of respect for your involvement in community fisheries issues, Rod. Thank you.

Several years ago I called a FN band office to get permission to fish their lands. Her initial response was “ we aren’t giving out permission to fish our lands”.  Instead of getting pissy, and figuring I could catch more flies with honey than vinegar, I told her that I wanted to be respectful of their lands by asking for permission and that I pick up litter when I am there. We proceeded to have a conversation about anglers that left garbage behind and a cougar that was recently spotted along the river bottom.

After a chat she said “ok, don’t tell anyone I said this, but you can fish there”

A little respect, courtesy and kindness can go a long ways.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »

I have a lot of respect for your involvement in community fisheries issues, Rod. Thank you.

Several years ago I called a FN band office to get permission to fish their lands. Her initial response was “ we aren’t giving out permission to fish our lands”.  Instead of getting pissy, and figuring I could catch more flies with honey than vinegar, I told her that I wanted to be respectful of their lands by asking for permission and that I pick up litter when I am there. We proceeded to have a conversation about anglers that left garbage behind and a cougar that was recently spotted along the river bottom.

After a chat she said “ok, don’t tell anyone I said this, but you can fish there”

A little respect, courtesy and kindness can go a long ways.

Thanks. respect definitely goes a long way.

For some reason we never got around to figuring out why that lot is closed. There'll be a follow-up meeting in September and I hope to have that sorted out before the fall season starts.

I'm sure everyone who visited the area wants to do the right thing so it's a positive experience for all. The meeting wasn't just about how to stop people from parking at certain locations, but there were some discussions on exploring ways to make parking more accessible for anglers.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »

The FN lands overlay for Google maps is available as a kmz file from the following page:

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/data-canada-lands-surveys/11092#CLGoogleEarth

Scroll down to Canada Lands Digital Cadastral Data.

This will load all FN lands in Canada into Google maps and you may be surprised to find you have already fished on FN lands without knowing it, such as on either side of the new Chehalis channel, north side of the Cap Estuary, north side of the Vedder above the Vedder Bridge crossing (not just the obvious Soowahlie lands on the south side), etc, etc.

If you want to see the approximate boundary, its shown here:

https://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/Water_Flood_Strategy/Fraser_River_Scenarios_Subregional_Mapset_HR_Region_6.pdf

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:31:55 PM by Knnn »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 03:06:17 PM »

If you want to see the approximate boundary, its shown here:

https://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/Water_Flood_Strategy/Fraser_River_Scenarios_Subregional_Mapset_HR_Region_6.pdf

Rough overlay of that PDF with google maps:

The river doesn't flow by the hatchery anymore as it once did years ago. It has shifted quite a bit to the east and the main flow of the lower section probably goes through FN now? 

I have not been down there for a few years, so not sure where the river flows nowadays, but if you walk down the east side, you may not have to go that far to reach the boundary.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »

Rough overlay of that PDF with google maps:

The river doesn't flow by the hatchery anymore as it once did years ago. It has shifted quite a bit to the east and the main flow of the lower section probably goes through FN now? 

I have not been down there for a few years, so not sure where the river flows nowadays, but if you walk down the east side, you may not have to go that far to reach the boundary.

If you reached the logjam, ( on the east AND west side ) you're already in reserve territory. The hole where the hatchery channel flows into is technically not within FN boundaries. According to the data provided to Google. A good number of decent lower river pools are in FN reserve lands.

mikeyman

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 05:52:43 PM »

No point fishing there anymore. Nets out no fish come thru on prime time prime water conditions. Only one thing made sense. Nets.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 02:25:48 PM »

What Chehalis has No Parking signs, private reserve land? What? Who knew  ::)

Chehalis is a cupcakes show