Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draconian Fisheries Closures  (Read 66814 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

redside1

« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »

a very poor job of Wilkinson's handlers briefing him on what's been going on.
Crazy to think an elected official would down outright knowingly lie like it appeared he did on a public forum like radio.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2019, 10:22:40 PM »

a very poor job of Wilkinson's handlers briefing him on what's been going on.
Crazy to think an elected official would down outright knowingly lie like it appeared he did on a public forum like radio.

Oh yeah ?

To me....... it's crazy ( at least in my line of work ) that he didnt fire his handlers afterwards.

Please spare me. He know what's going on and if he truly doesnt, he need to shut up

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »

Please spare me. He know what's going on and if he truly doesn't, he needs to shut up

IF he actually did not know, why? He is the Minister after all, and should be aware of such openings, especially in light of just how sensitive this matter is. Total Incompetence if this is the case.

If on the other hand he is aware (more likely IMHO) then he should step down immediately.
A Minister, lying publicly about his own portfolio, has no place at the helm whatsoever.

Nog

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2019, 11:40:49 AM »

IF he actually did not know, why? He is the Minister after all, and should be aware of such openings, especially in light of just how sensitive this matter is. Total Incompetence if this is the case.

If on the other hand he is aware (more likely IMHO) then he should step down immediately.
A Minister, lying publicly about his own portfolio, has no place at the helm whatsoever.

Nog

I agree. However him and every other cabinet minister seems to tow the party line. Those that doesnt get tossed out. Every minister regurgitates the same message. He lies and so does the Prime Minister. SNC Lavalin

dobrolub

« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2019, 09:18:48 PM »

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:22:36 PM by dobrolub »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2019, 06:16:51 AM »

He met with recreational fishers where these topics were discussed.

He told them in person that it was essentially closed, but they could apply for a permit to catch a few fish for a funeral or wedding...

He lied plain and simple on the radio. He knew that they could apply for limited openings.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:28:10 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:39 AM »

https://youtu.be/kxgeevlRElw?t=284

more on identity politics and its dangers:

https://youtu.be/_iudkPi4_sY?t=1242

Had to chuckle when Peterson referred to the 19th Century,when slaves were an 'identity' in the US and though the average monthly salary was less than $2 per capita most of the richest men (i.e. John D Rockefeller) in modern history made their fortunes. Then he implied war was only bad for men as if women and children didn't suffer in war time until recently. He also got the definition of equity wrong.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dobrolub

« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2019, 07:43:06 AM »

War is a horrible thing. And they are mostly started by those in power who should very carefully consider consequences of instilling an ideology.

He talks loud and clear that identity politics is a bad idea, because it creates grounds for dividing people into groups and arming these people with ideology, false beliefs and false sense of entitlement.

In this case it's an entitlement to fishing. But it will not stop at that. Extrapolate for yourself and you can see how horrible this can become. I already heard an interview of one liberal writer who was suggesting that the houses we live in indeed are built on a land that once belonged to natives. Extrapolate from that!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2019, 08:20:47 AM »

Fish is the chosen option for reconciliation. I would not worry about land that is within a municipality or city limits. '

Crown land, well that is a whole different story  https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1544732060186/1544732109441#chp1

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1327090675492/1327090738973
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:24:43 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2019, 08:54:58 AM »

Identity, identity politics,war etc...they have been around as long as the human race and Jordan Peterson isn't going to make them go away by denying the identity of other people. I am not discounting what he says. I think he is valuable critic but I don't believe he has a 'solution' to the human condition.

Fish is only one aspect of reconciliation for FNs in some parts of BC. Pretty much meaningless in most of Canada.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »

Open Letter from the Sport Fishing Institute (SFI) to Wilkinson:

https://mailchi.mp/8c7db2691b7e/sfi-member-update-071019?e=d242420a33

Pretty much nails it from the recreational aspect.

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2019, 04:38:42 PM »

This government has totally lost it's mind:

Today, the DFO held a press briefing to announce what they billed as “Additional Fisheries Management Measures for Fraser River Chinook stocks, following the recent landslide near Big Bar, north of Lillooet, BC.”

For those sport fishermen planning on fishing the areas opening for retention starting July 15, the announcement boils down to one thing, and one thing only: non-retention of Chinook over 80 cm both wild and hatchery.

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/dfo-no-retention-of-chinook-over-80-cm/

Big Green Machine

« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »

Wilkinson will simply say there have been no commercial or recreational openings on the Fraser because he knows he can deflect to the Supreme Court rulings on FSC fish openings. Of those more than 90 openings, there have not been a significant number or ‘reported’ catches. Yet there are instances of nets in the river during unopened times that have been reported. I imagine that the DFO is thinking if the ‘official’ FSC openings are reporting low numbers they may be extrapolating the data to the illegal nets to justify a non response. However, at the end of the day, he needs to come clean and simply say, this decision I political, not based on science. The over 80cm hatchery fish we cant retain, are they really headed to the upper Fraser???