Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river: Two guys in the white Subaru  (Read 11405 times)

GordJ

Re: Squamish river: Two guys in the white Subaru
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »

ohhh I would have helped for sure.  :)

I just think it's a pretty bad idea to head out somewhere unprepared. Then go on a forum and whine cause you have some sand in your vageegee.
I couldn’t find the like button.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »

Sure, or maybe they had a medical emergency and had to leave.
Certainly sucks for you but not really their fault.

Jk47

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 06:47:28 AM »

ohhh I would have helped for sure.  :)

I just think it's a pretty bad idea to head out somewhere unprepared. Then go on a forum and whine cause you have some sand in your vageegee.
Pretty much sums it up. I’d be pissed too but but I’d have learned a lesson...

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »

Out on my boat one year and the motor quit . I was adrift and waved my paddle at another boat , distress call of sorts ,  and they just waved and kept going . Thankfully an RCMP boat rescued me , towed me from Richmond to the Patullo bridge.
I helped a guy in the Fraser once to , he had broke down just as it was getting dark out . Towed him back to the boat launch without question .
Things may be a bit different on land , however . I would have gladly helped out . If I couldn't pull them out ,I would have gave them a ride back to town .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 03:29:05 PM »

Out on my boat one year and the motor quit . I was adrift and waved my paddle at another boat , distress call of sorts ,  and they just waved and kept going . Thankfully an RCMP boat rescued me , towed me from Richmond to the Patullo bridge.
I helped a guy in the Fraser once to , he had broke down just as it was getting dark out . Towed him back to the boat launch without question .
Things may be a bit different on land , however . I would have gladly helped out . If I couldn't pull them out ,I would have gave them a ride back to town .
For sure u have to help out a stranded person. Even if they are negligent and/or exercise poor judgement as in this case. Things could have ended up a lot worse.

ShaunO

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »

Sure, or maybe they had a medical emergency and had to leave.
Certainly sucks for you but not really their fault.

BINGO!

Your lack of preparation does not necessarily constitute an emergency in someone else's books.  Sure, I get that you might be butt hurt over them not coming back on their white horse to save the day, but they have reasons for not coming back, whatever they might be.  I trust nobody to bail me out except me.  Having the tools, skills and abilities to get yourself out of most jams often serves as good reminder to not get into them in the first place.

jackster

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 11:55:38 PM »

About 15 years ago my buddy and I were fishing the squish for chum in mid November and there were a school of 7or 8 chums caught in a pool because of low water or whatever.  This idiot was yelling at us to stop fishing and help him move the fish back into the flow.  We didn't for good reasons.  There were so many fish and the fishing was just totally awesome. And besides, we had just finished smoking a fat one.  At the end we got so annoyed by all that yelling we just told him to shut the f up.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »

About 15 years ago my buddy and I were fishing the squish for chum in mid November and there were a school of 7or 8 chums caught in a pool because of low water or whatever.  This idiot was yelling at us to stop fishing and help him move the fish back into the flow.  We didn't for good reasons.  There were so many fish and the fishing was just totally awesome. And besides, we had just finished smoking a fat one.  At the end we got so annoyed by all that yelling we just told him to shut the f up.
Me thinks you smoked a fat one replying to this thread!!!!!!  :o
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Ambassador

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 11:50:09 AM »

Me thinks you smoked a fat one replying to this thread!!!!!!  :o
Must have been puffing hard with the two arguing about who the problem people are.

I'm from the sticks but living in the city and can say without a doubt that there are awesomes and A-holes in both camps. Can't judge people by where they live - but how they were raised and carry themselves as adults. 
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:42 PM »

That jackass post pretty much sums it up.........excuses, excuses, excuses.....
How about doing the right thing?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:04:38 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

bobby b

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »

Always do the right thing....regardless.
I have helped people get out of jams in remote locations on several occasions. I one instance I had to winch out a stuck Jeep and tow it down a forest service road to get them to a place where they could call for further help. They were fully equipped with tools and recovery equipment ( winch etc.. ). They had been stuck in a snow drift and while winching out they had a mechanical failure.

One cannot assume that someone has 'headed out unprepared'.  Sh*t happens.

btw...
Even if someone did go out unprepared, the right thing is to help. Why is that even a point of argument?!?

If they said they would come back to help and then took off .....dick move period.   

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »

+1 Everybody's messed up and needed help at some point. Helping is the right thing to do, especially when it could turn into a life or death situation...

Sometimes people make poor decisions..we've all done it. Other times, it's just bad luck. No one's laying blame, just disappointed in the display of apathy.

banx

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 07:40:14 AM »

there's some lovely, helpful people on this forum apparantly.  It's safe to say mr.cheng did not suffer a mechanical failure.  I'd be far more sympathetic to his plight.

I have had to get a tow cause my starter pooched it, and I had my camper on my truck. That was not fun, and I am well equipped.

mr.cheng was 25mks up an fsr, and he was not alone.  He was stuck. His lack of a follow up post to his original also indicates the likelihood of him 'not being prepared'. And to me, lacking a ton of common sense.

I'm not trying to be dickish, I would have definitely helped. Using the winch can be fun at times... But the question still remains, what the hell is he doing that far up and fsr with zero recovery equipment, in god damn january.

hopefully he bought a shovel and some straps.

ByteMe

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »

There is no excuse for not helping someone out when they are in trouble, no matter how stupid they might be, getting stuck 25kms in the boonies in January could result in dire consequences, not the guilt I would want to carry around , not much different than going for a hike in the back country on a sunny winter day with a windbreaker and SAR refusing to help. There will always be idiots, looks like on both sides of the coin in this case
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 10:02:39 AM »

--depends...so I hook my winch or come-along to your bumper and it rips off or your vehicle slides or gets in a worse situation...are you goin to sue me because I am not a professional bonded tow person.
--so maybe offer a ride back to town to get professional help. at least make the offer.
--conversely, if the person seems competent and willing to take responsibility I would let them do the hookup (making sure it's safe for my vehicle and equipment).
--must be a coastal thing...I don't think 25km up an fsr is very far or unreasonable...that's walking distance.