Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river: Two guys in the white Subaru  (Read 11418 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: Squamish river: Two guys in the white Subaru
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »

Always do the right thing....regardless.
I have helped people get out of jams in remote locations on several occasions. I one instance I had to winch out a stuck Jeep and tow it down a forest service road to get them to a place where they could call for further help. They were fully equipped with tools and recovery equipment ( winch etc.. ). They had been stuck in a snow drift and while winching out they had a mechanical failure.

One cannot assume that someone has 'headed out unprepared'.  Sh*t happens.

btw...
Even if someone did go out unprepared, the right thing is to help. Why is that even a point of argument?!?

If they said they would come back to help and then took off .....dick move period.

1000 x agree.  This could of been life or death situation as one post said.
But possibly guys did not want to put a tow line as it could damage their transmission.
So they could of discussed a plan with them like when they drove into the town call a tow truck & send it to the stuck vehicle.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 01:12:08 AM »

there's some lovely, helpful people on this forum apparantly.  It's safe to say mr.cheng did not suffer a mechanical failure.  I'd be far more sympathetic to his plight.

I have had to get a tow cause my starter pooched it, and I had my camper on my truck. That was not fun, and I am well equipped.

mr.cheng was 25mks up an fsr, and he was not alone.  He was stuck. His lack of a follow up post to his original also indicates the likelihood of him 'not being prepared'. And to me, lacking a ton of common sense.

I'm not trying to be dickish, I would have definitely helped. Using the winch can be fun at times... But the question still remains, what the hell is he doing that far up and fsr with zero recovery equipment, in god damn january.

hopefully he bought a shovel and some straps.

Okay...the guy was irresponsible and stupid for being that far up, but let's change the scenario. Let's say it was a pretty blonde girl in that situation...would you have treated her the same way?
The point is not about why he was unprepared (it's already been established that he was irresponsible), it's about giving assistance to someone in dire need. We're not talking about a break down on some city street, this was up in the boonies where conditions were poor.

Ten years ago, I helped out a couple of teens who got stranded trying to wade across the river up by the slides. They literally froze because of fear so I waded in to guide them back to shore. It was dicey and heart pounding due to the fact they were crossing in the middle of a run, but I was experienced enough that we managed to inch our way back using the arm in arm technique. Why did I do it? Because there was not enough time to call for help and I knew if I didn't, there was a high probability of them being swept away. Stupidity shouldn't constitute a life threatening sentence. In fact, by helping they learned a life long lesson that hopefully in turn, they passed on to someone else.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »

Odd the OP would post then not respond? We have no idea how prepared or unprepared he was. Perhaps he is hoping the white Subaru owner is on the forum and would see this thread? Perhaps the only way of venting his displeasure at the would be rescuer for leaving them high and dry.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:26:27 PM by Wiseguy »

ByteMe

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 01:34:25 PM »

I think this Parksville senior is just glad he didn't meet a couple of guys in a white Subaru

https://www.pqbnews.com/community/parksville-senior-on-scooter-stuck-in-snow-gets-a-tow-home/
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh