Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kane lakes frozen  (Read 3603 times)

dlo

Kane lakes frozen
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »

Planning on heading up this week has anyone been up there and confirm if they are frozen

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Kane lakes frozen
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »

Frozen for more than one month. You will see 1 foot snow on top of the ice as well

banx

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:05:04 AM »

i think those 2 are no ice fishing. 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:38:26 AM »

The o ly one I know of that has an ice fishing ban is Englishman lake. The three best lakes Chicken, Upper Second and lower Second are best at this time of year. Some big brookies in those lakes. The bite turns off a few weeks after the ice melts.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »

The o ly one I know of that has an ice fishing ban is Englishman lake. The three best lakes Chicken, Upper Second and lower Second are best at this time of year. Some big brookies in those lakes. The bite turns off a few weeks after the ice melts.
Read the regs. No ice fishing in Upper or Lower Kane Lakes:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1719/fishing_synopsis_2017-19_region3.pdf

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 05:11:34 PM »

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1719/fishing_synopsis_2017-19_region3.pdf

I never said anything about the two Kanes. Just said " That I know of only one". As in off the top of my head. My first suggestion still stands for Chicken and the two Second lakes.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 05:22:11 PM »

It's confusing because of the weird names used. According to the FFSBC stocking reports, there are 8 stocked lakes in the Kane valley. The names FFSBC uses are Englishmen, Little Harmon, Harmon, Kane#1 left, Kane#2 Right, Second Lower, Second Upper, Chicken Ranch

But in the synopsis, only three have specific regs. Englishmen, Lower Kane Lake, and Upper Kane Lake.

Not 100% sure but I suspect Lower and Upper Kane lakes in the regs are referring to what FFSBC calls Kane#1 Left and Kane#2 Right.

While Second Lower, Second Upper, & Chicken Ranch have no specific regs in the synopsis so ice fishing is probably permitted which is what Hike_and_fish was aluding too.

edit: forgot about the two Harmon lakes
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:26:11 PM by DanL »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »

People ice fish Chicken and the two Second lakes all the time. Upper second is closest to Chicken a d lower Second is closest to Kanes. I used to ice fish Second lakes quite a bit. But my best days have been in late October in the blowing snow with a fullsink line in my Jon boat

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »

Chicken ranch and two upper lakes are full of small brookie. Do not ignore Harmon. I have caught 24 inchers there