Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook Rebuilding, Maybe?  (Read 9481 times)

santefe

Re: Chinook Rebuilding, Maybe?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:40 PM »

Coast wide, I don"t think so, thats from my experience and observation.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:12 PM »

last I heard the recreational sector takes about 50% of the chinook. I think it's about the same for coho.

The commercial sector takes by far the biggest share of the other 3 commercial species.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cas

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »

Sports Fishermen by far take the most amount of Chinook.

Incorrect

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »

Incorrect

... and your assessment is based on what?

according to the PSC 2016 report on chinook catch and escapement the sport sector caught 70% of 182,000 Canadian Individual Stock [Chinook ] Based Management Fisheries. Almost all the chinook caught in Southern BC inside waters are caught by the sports sector - approx 70,000 fish. FN sport catch was about 11,000, almost exclusively in the Fraser. Commercial catch was all but nil.

PACIFIC SALMON COMMISSION JOINT CHINOOK TECHNICAL COMMITTEE ANNUAL REPORT OF CATCH AND ESCAPEMENT FOR 2016 REPORT Page 15.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dcajaxs

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 05:25:59 AM »

And what about chinook caught in international waters? or do they stay within the psc borders?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 06:12:03 AM »

interesting question! How about you look for some information!

dcajaxs

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:58 AM »

interesting question! How about you look for some information!
only vessels that belong to the npasc are supposed to follow the rules in international waters based on the above link.  I suspect some other countries do not.  or as the saying goes it only takes a couple bad apples to spoil everything.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/international/media/bk_pacificsal-eng.htm

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »

Most Chinook stocks don't travel 200 miles out they stay and eat local where they can be targeted year round by sports fishing boats. Where are our Chinook being caught by sports fishermen. Here is a breakdown. This is only for marine waters.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:22:11 AM by wildmanyeah »

BCLAX

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 06:27:39 AM »

How is this data collected?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 08:40:30 AM »

How is this data collected?

Creel surveys, Fly overs, Guide log books,

Guided operations account for 50% of the Chinook harvested by the sports fishing industry

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »

Most Chinook stocks don't travel 200 miles out they stay and eat local where they can be targeted year round by sports fishing boats. Where are our Chinook being caught by sports fishermen. Here is a breakdown. This is only for marine waters.

I think it's recognized that not insignificant numbers of BC fish are caught in Alaskan waters and the same is true for fish from Washington and Oregon fish being caught here in BC, as well as in Alaska. Can this be avoided?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »

I think it's recognized that not insignificant numbers of BC fish are caught in Alaskan waters and the same is true for fish from Washington and Oregon fish being caught here in BC, as well as in Alaska. Can this be avoided?

I was more referring to the post about fish caught outside PST area.  Like chum caught way out in international border by big Asian factory ships with 8km long gilnets.

Can this be avoided?

ENGO's like the wild fish conservancy and water shed watch have proposed only having terminal and in river fisheries. Avoids mix stock problems and also allows fish to be enumerated before they are caught. 

The ocean lobby by all sectors tho is pretty significant  Even First Nations up and down the coast would lobby pretty hard against it.  IT would also go against recent supreme court ruling that gave the 5 nations on WCVI prioty to sell commercial fish over recreational fishermen. Also gave them a quota of Fraser sockeye, Chinook, chum, coho ect...

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:8b98e9eb-9204-4513-8302-6a4fdf1ad6ea
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:16:52 AM by wildmanyeah »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »

I saw a document that said that 25% of Skeena salmon are caught in Alaska.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:27:52 PM by Easywater »

BBarley

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 03:40:08 PM »

I saw a document that said that 25% of Skeena salmon are caught in Alaska.

I'm not sure what the ratios are anymore, but certainly a fair amount never make it back having passed through US waters on their way to the spawning grounds. Back in the 90's the commie fishermen in Prince Rupert blockaded a ferry bound for Ketchikan due to the overfishing of the Americans on BC bound salmon.

Be curious to find out how they negotiate the shared fisheries with streams flowing out into the panhandle from northwestern BC such as the Stikine, Taku, Alsek, Tatshenshini.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »

an oldie but a goodie