Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeena 2019  (Read 13303 times)

bobby b

Skeena 2019
« on: December 07, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »

I've always wanted to make the trip to the Skeena ....a bucket list kinda thing ya know...

Sooo.... here I am making plans for a Steelhead/Coho trip to the Skeena in Sept 2019. Just about to book a place to stay and then I see this....

http://cfnrfm.ca/gitxsan-government-announces-recreational-closure-of-skeena-river-for-2019-season/?fbclid=IwAR3nPEKuWob5nKmOcLWX6BweRRRnkbRoQiOT_Q_1jJJJ_OcjN8rk-VExigA

Guess I'll wait and see...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:26:56 AM by bobby b »

cdjk123

Re: Skeena 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »

Wait, I don't understand? How can a FN band close a a river down? Isn't that all up to DFO?
Do they have that power?

bobby b

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55:39 AM »

That's what I'd like to know...

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »

Wait, I don't understand? How can a FN band close a a river down? Isn't that all up to DFO?
Do they have that power?
Looks like we're about to find out. If I had to put up money I would bet yes, they do. Think how many lawyers will get rich before a final decision is made.

poper

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »

If the government says it open its open, go fishing. This stuffs getting dumb, they want to close it for anglers but they will be netting. Lol,

BBarley

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »

I applaud their initiative, but see absolutely no possible way of enforcing it. Takes me back to taking the 'toon out at Potato Patch on the Kispiox which is technically reserve land, approached by a younger local who demanded $35 for fishing on their land. I told him I would gladly pay the fishing fee to the local band if they could provide me a receipt or any kind of legally binding proof of purchase. He couldn't and so I told him I wouldn't give him anything and would go speak to the band in Kispiox about it and that was pretty much the end of it. So perhaps I could see a similar situation where in there are similar self starters looking for easy chump change but I highly doubt they would be able to enforce anything short of breaking the law themselves so I wouldn't get overly worried about the Skeena in 2019.

All that being said, if the major FN in the region were collaborating with the DFO to have it shut down, it may be possible to see the river shut down due to stock concerns ala chinook/sockeye 2018. Unfortunately all it really amounts to is window dressing as others have stated, you can bet the nets will still be out and once the test fishery gets its first spike of sockeye in early summer the armada will be out in full force.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »

Looks like we're about to find out. If I had to put up money I would bet yes, they do. Think how many lawyers will get rich before a final decision is made.

Dig ding ding! we have a winner!

If this ends up in court rec fishing is F'ed

BBarley

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »

Also, I should add, the Gitxsan traditional territory roughly ends on the Skeena at Cedarvale, so unless their is collaboration with other bands, I don't see how they could authorize a complete closure of a river. Think of it as the Dakelh (Carrier) band shutting down the entire Fraser from the mouth to the headwaters in the Rockies........

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »

^^^

There are reserve lands and there is also a traditional territory which Nations lay claim to based on ancestral use and usually has to be backed up by some form of proof and documentation, even if its an oral history. Often the traditional territories overlap and there can be disputes between the Nations.  This will be an interesting and possibly precedent setting test of aboriginal rights and title to their lands.

John Revolver

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:16:42 AM »

Thats a pretty hyperbolic press release. I wouldn't worry about anything until you see actual DFO notices. You should still make the trip up. The real magic is found around the various tribs anyway.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 05:02:13 AM »

Well....... things are sure trending towards full closures that's for sure. It is quite possible that we will all see a complete closure to anyone other than FN in our lifetime. I will put money on that.

Kever

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 07:03:23 AM »

From someone who lives up the and is deeply ingrained in fisheries: "That announcement is from a group that claim they speak for the whole Gitksan but do not. They are a small group of hereditary chiefs... Gitksan law is that you can’t tell another chief what to do on their house territory, so those chiefs can’t speak for all the Gitskan chiefs... The Gitskan are very politically complicated and contentious."

If there is a full closure, it should come from DFO.

bobby b

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:35:45 AM »

Ok.... think I will make the trip anyways. Having talked to others it is likely I will be fishing the 'tribs for the most part.

Never been up there .... so I have some planning to do as far as where I'll be fishing in that area.   

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »

If you stay at Ferry island and fish skeena main, I don't think the Gitxsans will chase you with a tomahawk. Overall, there are so many optional fishing spot. You should go anyway

BBarley

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »

Ok.... think I will make the trip anyways. Having talked to others it is likely I will be fishing the 'tribs for the most part.

Never been up there .... so I have some planning to do as far as where I'll be fishing in that area.

There are a ton of options if your even the slightest bit worried about the Gitxsans enforcing that silly ban. The Copper near Terrace is a great option if steelhead is your main target. All the lower tribs between Terrace and Rupert will provide excellent coho options (Lakelse, Kalum, Zymacord list goes on.....) Smithers is another excellent option, I've caught many a steelhead right across from Riverside Park right in the heart of Smithers. Bulkley/Morice is technically on Wet'suwet'en traditional territory and they shouldn't give you any issue with regards to fishing that system. I personally wouldn't let that announcement cancel my plans to fish the area.