Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shiner perch  (Read 34245 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
shiner perch
« on: August 05, 2004, 10:21:33 AM »

I have seen people catch these tiny perch around some piers.  How do you prepare them?
anyone tried eating them before?

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
Re:shiner perch
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:57:22 PM »

they are actually...  ok tasting... but since you can only keep like 8.. cant make it much of a meal.... but no one listens anyways. they say chop the head.. pop the guts and deep fry them.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:43:51 AM »

Release those small ones, if left long enough they can reach 2lb in weight. Those little shiners become Pile Perch. I know many people take them when they are too small and exceed the catch limit. If we all could call in a plate number to the DFO, when we witness the abuse, one day we all could catch Pile Perch of a size worth putting on the table. I use to catch those larger Pile Perch regularly when I was a kid in the 60's filleted battered and fried they were excelent.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 12:48:01 AM »

Umm... actually shiner perch (cymatogaster aggregata) and pile perch (damalichthys vacca) are different species.  The shiners only get to 4 or 5 inches.  Perch are an interesting fish in that they don't lay eggs; they have live birth.  If you catch a really fat one, chances are it's a female ready to pop.  Give it a gentle squeeze and watch the babies swim away if they're ready.  :o

They are tasty when pan fried though, if a little bony.  We used to 'gibb' them (cut off head in such a way that you could pull the guts out with the head, like you would a herring) and fry 'em up with butter.   Or just be lazy and fry them whole, and eat carefully.  :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 01:56:37 PM »

If you want to catch perch, Comox is the place to go. Lots of them around.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 12:45:10 PM »

At my friends cabin near sechelt we would get shiners , pile, and stripes perch off the dock by lowering it and watching the soft eaters eat our bait.  We could see them eating and could pick which ones we wanted.  The pile and striped perch would only eat shore crabs.  They could get up to around a foot in lenght and be very tasty.
I like ROE

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 01:04:28 PM »

Hey Roe try using those big seaworms off the beach.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 12:48:20 PM »

I asked one Vietnamese-I think she was Chinese from Vietnam-how she ate them.
She said "Inna da soup"! ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 10:57:03 PM »

if she was italian from the bronx. she would say "inna da soupa!"  ;D ;D ;D

No_way

Re: shiner perch
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 01:01:30 AM »

Another Chinese inspired Recipe

Four out of five stars.

Here's what I did:

Chopped off the heads and scooped out the guts with my thumb.  Then I rolled them in corn starch and deep fried them. 

I'd never eaten little fish like this, but you eat the whole thing, bones and all.  Actually, the crispy tails were my favorite part.

As for only being able to only keep eight, if you eat them on rice with some stirfried greens 4 fish would be a good serving.  They are very rich and very easy to cook and eat.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 02:42:55 AM »

Ya actually medical reports down states have find out that perch actually has higher Omega 3 content then salmon.
PS tried fishing for a HUGE striped perch once its over a foot long. I was using a #10 hook and gues what...
it bit the hook into HALF!!!! Oh pile, striped, shiner perches give birth to live fish and each birth is only about 10.
So please during late spring when caught one that has a swollen belly please release it. It's most likely its a bearing female perch.

We do want them to be still around years from now right  ;)

No_way

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 02:50:49 AM »

Ya actually medical reports down states have find out that perch actually has higher Omega 3 content then salmon.
PS tried fishing for a HUGE striped perch once its over a foot long. I was using a #10 hook and gues what...
it bit the hook into HALF!!!! Oh pile, striped, shiner perches give birth to live fish and each birth is only about 10.
So please during late spring when caught one that has a swollen belly please release it. It's most likely its a bearing female perch.

We do want them to be still around years from now right  ;)

We always let the pregnant ones go, but we seem to be the only ones.  For their size perch give a great fight, don't they?!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 03:08:03 AM »

They sure do. Biggest shiner I've caught was slightly over 4 in.

No_way

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 03:23:56 AM »

They sure do. Biggest shiner I've caught was slightly over 4 in.

lol that's as big as they get, but on an ultralite rod a big striped or pile perch is a blast!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 11:08:26 AM »

Few years ago, we simply gutted the shiners and deep fried whole, they tasted great.

BwiBwi brought up some good points regarding the way perch produce offsprings. I know some anglers only go for perch in the fall and winter months instead so they would avoid the pregnant ones.