Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleardrift Eggs / Yarn eggs  (Read 3916 times)

Salmon__Slayer

Cleardrift Eggs / Yarn eggs
« on: November 22, 2018, 12:08:06 AM »

Being unsuccessful in landing a hatchery doe this season .... I have dug deep into my tackle box for alternatives to roe , I have chosen to use yarn , and clear drifts soft eggs. Anyone have specific methods in using these baits. I am targeting coho salmon using these methods.

Below I have attached photos of my leaders that I have tied
* the barbs will be pinched *

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143689625@N02/31057548737/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/143689625@N02/31057550097/in/dateposted-public/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:20:47 AM by Salmon__Slayer »

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Cleardrift Eggs / Yarn eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »

I have not used yarn, but beads and imitation eggs as you have them pegged work well for me for bulls and other species.  The distance between egg and hook looks a little long in the image, but it may just be the perspective.  I have found 1.5 to 2 inches to be the most effective range, with the least damaging internal hook placements.  If targeting Coho, twitch, baby twitch.

Jk47

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »

While this set-up will catch the odd Coho, I find Coho are more likely to chase a well presented moving target rather than a single egg. Coho love to give chase. I fly fish for them mostly but as has been mentioned on here twitching jigs and casting and retrieving Gibbs Croc spoons is highly effective. Also, you’re a little late... seasons pretty much over

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »

^^ X2

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »

While this set-up will catch the odd Coho, I find Coho are more likely to chase a well presented moving target rather than a single egg. Coho love to give chase. I fly fish for them mostly but as has been mentioned on here twitching jigs and casting and retrieving Gibbs Croc spoons is highly effective. Also, you’re a little late... seasons pretty much over

fortunately ,the local river I fish has a very late run of coho , with the peak of the coho run entering in the middle of November. The issue with twitching is , the runs which hold fish are fairly shallow and tend to have to fast of a current for successful twitching.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 10:49:02 AM »

is short floating jigs for coho a thing ?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »

I caught a nice coho doe on exactly that with a few guys around me using roe.
A small hook and a small single egg presentation and the fish pulled it down very nicely.
Mind you roe guys did have more hookups.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »

is short floating jigs for coho a thing ?

Yes indeed.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »

I caught a nice coho doe on exactly that with a few guys around me using roe.
A small hook and a small single egg presentation and the fish pulled it down very nicely.
Mind you roe guys did have more hookups.

thats good to hear , I have had a few hook ups but as soon as they jumped the hook would pop off , I switched to size 1 owner hooks , but also have size 4.  are you referring to the yarn tie I made ?

wookie

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »

If you don't have roe, try roe scent on your yarn - pro-cure and atlas make some goo in a squeeze tube. 

In a pinch it has worked for me

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »

If you don't have roe, try roe scent on your yarn - pro-cure and atlas make some goo in a squeeze tube. 

In a pinch it has worked for me

that something I will definitely try out

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 03:43:33 PM »

In shallow water ----> short fast action road with a 1/4 oz jig.  You can even swing/twitch in shallow fast(ish) water.

Short floating jigs for Coho can on occasion produce fish, but your odds compared to stripped flies, spoons, twitching jigs, roe will be very low.

Check you can use scent on the system you are fishing.

Single or clumped Jensen eggs (scented or not) can work, as well as the old "roe fly" on a fly rod or drift rod.

Do the yarn balls result in deep hook sets?

BBarley

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 04:14:54 PM »

I used a single blood dot hevi-bead with a fair amount of success earlier in the fall when the conditions were low and clear. As other have said, pegged up about 1.5 inches from a size 4 hook was the ideal setup. Single Jensen egg threaded with a needle can also produce really well as the soft beads have the luxury of scent being added. Definitely add a bit of scent if there is no bait ban as I found it to help out my grubbies when I was twitching jigs, a big bottle of anise/krill lasted me the whole season.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »

thank you all for the great advice , will be heading out at first light. hopefully the river isn't blown, and also hoping I can land a coho and post the picture !

I've had 3 hookups in the past week of fishing , each coho breached out of the water and typically would catch me off guard and pop the hook.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »

managed to hook up into a nice coho, while trying to land it on slippery moss rocks ... slipped ... fell into the river.. snapped the top of my rood when the rod got forced into the gravel .. time to get a new casting rod ...