Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: By-catches of sturgeon in nets  (Read 9957 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
By-catches of sturgeon in nets
« on: November 06, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: By-catches of sturgeon in nets
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »

Rodney perhaps you can comment on this,

How come we are seeing such a dramatic change in pointing out these fisheries this year. In the past the message from these groups has been we need to work together, Pointing the finger will only cause more fishing to get shut down ect..

Their seems to be a big shift in tone this year...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:18:12 AM by wildmanyeah »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »

Furious

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »

How come we are seeing such a dramatic change in pointing out these fisheries this year. In the past the message from these groups has been we need to work together....
Their seems to be a big shift in tone this year...

...because it seems the effort of 'working together' has been lopsided to one side.

poper

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

...because it seems the effort of 'working together' has been lopsided to one side.

It’s been lopsided for years but it seems theres less fish now

santefe

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »

Since this part of DFO's responsibility  I'll see if I can print off this letter and pictures and send them to our Minister of Fisheries NV MP
Jonathan Wilkinson, and see what response we get.

Tylsie

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 10:53:15 PM »

By-catch? I can count approximately 6 sturgeon in that net and 3 salmon. It is high time this is the issue that makes the news. I truly am almost at the point I do not care if I fish anymore. If that is what it will take to save the salmon and the STURGEON then so be it.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:45:10 AM »

Honestly nothing will change. This season has been a real eye opener for me. It is clear as day that those nets will be out till the last fish is caught. With all the budget cuts to DFO and hatchery programs over the years IE. shutting down the Squamish office. It's clear to me that the federal government views this department as a burden to paying off their massive deficit. I'm sure they'll be happy if all Fraser salmon are gone completely. Trust me guys, once the salmon start to disappear, the nets will be calling for a Sturgeon fishery.

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 06:22:28 AM »

Waiting for Ralph to join in and attempt to convince us how this sort of bycatch is still acceptable for FN...and that we shouldn't overreact....right Ralph?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »

Waiting for Ralph to join in and attempt to convince us how this sort of bycatch is still acceptable for FN...and that we shouldn't overreact....right Ralph?

FWIW, this could be fake news.

Can anyone PROVE BEYOND DOUBT that those fish were caught in FN nets?
Without video proof and some faces, this might be ANYONE'S nets.

I've seen too much propaganda at work in my life to take a few pics from the internet as a "smoking gun" of some tribe's wrongdoing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »

There's no mention of this is from a FN fishery. The point of this letter is to push for selective fishing practices in all sectors.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »

You're right about no mention of FN's, but if you look at the bottom photo it's obvious it's a shore based operation that the commies are not known for. If I'm mistaken please correct me if I'm way off on my assumption.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the only boats authorized to net right now in the Fraser are FN boats. I may be wrong but I have not seen any opening listed for commercial. Just FN

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »

There's no mention of this is from a FN fishery. The point of this letter is to push for selective fishing practices in all sectors.

No there isn't. The letter sticks to facts: how fish is wasted using non-selective methods.
It was Robert G's mention of FNs that changes the angle, creating "fake news" in the process.

You're right about no mention of FN's, but if you look at the bottom photo it's obvious it's a shore based operation that the commies are not known for. If I'm mistaken please correct me if I'm way off on my assumption.

Sorry blayd, but nothing is "obvious" from the photo. It might as well be staged.
But you can certainly assume whatever you want. Maybe that's the whole point.

If I'm not mistaken, the only boats authorized to net right now in the Fraser are FN boats. I may be wrong but I have not seen any opening listed for commercial. Just FN

And just how recent do you think those photos are?
The sturgeon one is stamped 2018.8.21, making it almost three months old. The salmon picture has no dates at all. It could be years old, not months.
Like I said - this picture does not incriminate a particular sector; it merely denounces a practice.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:18:49 PM by milo »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 01:05:24 PM »

Sorry blayd, but nothing is "obvious" from the photo. It might as well be staged.
But you can certainly assume whatever you want. Maybe that's the whole point.

Staged by whom? The coalition of federations that signed off on the letter? I highly doubt they would publish a photo that was provided by an unreliable source. Of course that's strictly my assumption, regardless, it's an issue that needs to be addressed and resolved in a manner that supersedes resistance from ANY special interest group whether it be commercial or FN's.