Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about jig tying  (Read 13014 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Questions about jig tying
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »

I'm trying something new this year with some success. Probably the easiest twitching jig ( minus the pink grub ) I've ever delt with. I can also add gel scents with matting of maribou or rabbit fur.

20190827-200312" border="0

essyoo

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »

you must be buying silly legs wholesale ;D

those look really nice! I saw a video about jigging with a bullet weight in a hoochie. would love to know how something with all the rubber legs works in a place like the vedder.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 04:28:41 PM »

you must be buying silly legs wholesale ;D

those look really nice! I saw a video about jigging with a bullet weight in a hoochie. would love to know how something with all the rubber legs works in a place like the vedder.

I did buy batches from china. Thoughts of selling but I was delayed this season. Maybe next. They work. No doubt. My favorite part about these jigs is the scent aspect. However, nothing has a wiggle quite like a rabbit tail with silly legs dangling below it.

essyoo

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 04:53:54 PM »

If you have more than you need, I will definitely buy some. been having a tricky time finding decent ones. 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »

If you have more than you need, I will definitely buy some. been having a tricky time finding decent ones.

The Chartreuse and Blue were hard to source that's for sure. I do have 550 pre tied skirts with bands. I'm just trying to find the right jig mold and jig heads. I'm experimenting this season. Chances are once we figure things out I'll be selling kits down the road.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2019, 09:43:41 PM »

As said above, it's had me thinking about the common advise to go sparse for coho flies when they seem to go for gaudy, tons of movement jigs. I'm going to be trying a couple of these pattern flies this weekend which try to replicate that type of silhouette and movement in smaller form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IHS409h9o
Let us know how you did.
In the meantime, I will stay with the old standby:

It ain't the roe bro'

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2019, 04:39:31 AM »

Let us know how you did.
In the meantime, I will stay with the old standby:

That's a fisherman. We all have intentions of trying new things and new locations but in the end Salmon runs are come and go like a dart in a wind storm we ALL end up going back to our honey holes and methods we trust.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »

Nice work bigsnag!  Also great to see you and my buddy Sterling the other day!!!

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »

Nice work bigsnag!  Also great to see you and my buddy Sterling the other day!!!
Always a pleasure talking fish with you FFM. Btw, were you sneaking treats to Sterling?  Why is he so attached to you?
It ain't the roe bro'