Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about jig tying  (Read 13001 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Questions about jig tying
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »

be sure to post some photos!
Well, I feel a bit vulnerable doing that cuz I'm just getting into it and I've only tied about a dozen jigs in my short career, including these 4. But here goes :)

The one in the top left is a shlappen collar that I will thread a grub onto. Several of you mentioned shlappen collar so I thought I would try that.

Lots of other good ideas of material and ties that I will incorporate later.

One question...take for example the jig bottom right. I tied the marabou to the top of the hook, so it's not really tied "in the round".  I don't think it matters cuz there is more that enough movement in what is already tied, but if I wanted to get it in the round, would I tie a piece of marabou along the bottom, or rather spread out the feathers more along the side of the hook shank as I am tying them in? 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:17 PM »

I don't think it matters cuz there is more that enough movement in what is already tied, but if I wanted to get it in the round, would I tie a piece of marabou along the bottom, or rather spread out the feathers more along the side of the hook shank as I am tying them in?

Wrap the pink around the shank first, then tie in the purple and wrap up the shank

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »

those look fine clarki and will certainly catch fish. You can get longer fiber marabou such as blood feathers or 'extra select' which is also often called spey marabou.

A couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xUqZtmKEFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T9WEmfcri8

As others have mentioned rabbit strips are also perfect for this style of jig.

I will try to post a photo or 2 of some I have tied
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 11:54:00 PM »

Wrap the pink around the shank first, then tie in the purple and wrap up the shank
I've only been tying the marabou feather to the hook, never thought (or tried) to wrap. Good idea...

those look fine clarki and will certainly catch fish.
Thanks, and time will tell.  :)

I had a very interesting jiggy day yesterday. I was fishing a small system for coho with jigs, and although I did catch two of the coho I was after, what I was unprepared for was the eight cutthroat that I caught on jigs, with many more hooked and not landed. I was surprised how turned onto the black and purple jig they were. I could see them aggressively chase it, much like a coho. I've never caught a cutthroat, let alone 8, on a jig. Mind you, I've never seriously fished jigs in a system where cutthroat are abundant. What I did notice was all of the cutthroat came on a black and purple jig and both coho came on a hot pink jig. I fish this same system in the spring for cutthroat and I'm envisioning how small jigs heavy with tinsel/flash and white rabbit "zonker style" tail for some flutter might be an alternative to my standard approach of flies and small spoons. Anyways, a surprising day for a much-loved species in an unexpected way.

243Pete

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »

Nice ties Clarki!

Wrapping marabou around the head of the shank is a good idea as it gives a little more of a shoulder/ profile when drifted, not so much for a twitched jig.

Jigs are one of my main arsenal carry options where ever I fish with a float and have found a lot of different species will hit them quite agressively. But nice with the cutties! ussually with them I will strip a small zonker streamer through them.
One of my favorite days was in early October, hit the lower and got two coho and two chum on drifted jigs, left and watched a huge push of chum swim up the canal so we raced to get to mid river, got to a nice spot where some anglers were already working the run from earlier, put on a bubble gum pink rabbit tail and white marabou jig with pink palmer chenille and pink crazy legs and with two drifts I had hooked a nice spring and all those chum decided to stay back as we didn't see any of them move up.

As for jigs I've got my designs which I have posted fairly descriptive details on how to tie up, twin tail zonker for that really fluttery action using single color zonker or magnum strips, and two tone in a single longer strip for twitch jigs which my buddies took from me and later lost them in some trees.  :o
Jigs are my favorite go to when drifting areas where anglers have already worked it with either roe or spoons, you might get surprised by how sometimes they will just go after it cause of weird reasons I've gone over with friends and other anglers.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »

Are those jig hooks doing any damage to the smaller cutts eh clarki?
It ain't the roe bro'

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 05:14:46 PM »

As for jigs I've got my designs which I have posted fairly descriptive details on how to tie up
Thanks for the reminder. I'll have a look through your posts.

Are those jig hooks doing any damage to the smaller cutts eh clarki?
Good question. I wasn't using the jigs posted above, rather other ones with a smaller #1 hook. However having learned first-hand how aggressive ct are to jigs, next time I'll bring along smaller jigs to use if ct are showing up in the catch.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »

I wouldn't bet money that a jig with wound marabou would catch more fish than with stripped  marabou tied as a wing. It's really a matter of what pleases the angler. I do know that the fly that has caught most of my winter steelhead the last few years is a blue/black Hobo Spey with wound marabou but like most such patterns it uses some material such as wound hackle or a dubbing ball to push the marabou up at the head and get that tear drop shape thought to be so effective.

However wound marabou obscures the body. It is also relatively fragile. Used near the bend it's liable to be cut by fish teeth. I always reinforce any palmered material with counter wrapped wire. I tie my wooly buggers with 'reversed' hackle starting at the head back to the end of the body then winding wire a couple of times to fix it then ribbing froward.

You can tie marabou on top the shank and below for an effect much like winding it.

I'd say a #1 hook is way too big for trout. I know back east and in the states small jigs have long been used for trout. It surprises me how big some of the hooks used locally on lures and jigs for salmon are. Fly anglers have long thought flies for coho in the FV have to be relatively small. The jig craze has proved this wrong.

I have often wondered when gear fishermen in BC would discover approaches used by fly anglers could be adapted to standard tackle for trout (and salmon). Why not drift nymphs under floats with light spinning gear on rivers like the Skagit or even use jigs to imitate leeches or other aquatic food in interior stillwaters

243Pete

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 06:25:08 AM »

That is a good point you bring up Ralph, without some kinda shoulder wrapping marabou is pretty pointless as it will just flatten out against the body of the jig or fly, but with that said for a drifted jig it would make lots of movement as the marabou would get the chanse to puff out and look rather wavey. The hobo is such the classic in terms of intruders but last year I tried some of the OPST grabboid style bunny leeches but with no luck.

As for being fragile I tend to wrap my stem a little higher up from the shoulder, tie down the point and then palmer it back while wrapping it back towards the shoulder, wire is a good idea especially if this is done near an area where fish will have their teeth on it most of the time.

This year I tried putting marabou into a dubbing loop and it seems to hold up better over a longer period of use and you can measure out the length so it can either be shorter or longer depending on preference, a bit of a pain in the my friend to do as I use a chip clip to hold the feather and then trim out what I need, then place it into the loop and spin it up.

I've seen some smaller jigs from various companies but for me they bend way to easily, I took some fairly small streamer hooks with straight eyes and made tinier bead head jigs with them cause like with your concern the #1 size jig hooks will easily damage a cutties eye or worse while a size 6 streamer hook that has been bent will do less on small fish.
I've never believed in always using smaller patterns for coho as I have laughed at how big of a spoon they will grab like a 1/2 croc or a 5/8 kit-mat spoon, and some of the flies I've gotten coho on like the bunny intruders aren't exactly pinky size but more like something that fills a 12 guage shotgun shell. But with that said twitching jigs especially with done with all marabou aren't exactly that big under the water especially when twitched fairly fast.

A friend of mine uses egg sucking leeches trailed behind a small spoon sometimes for coho, an old Gibbs croc in silver and about a foot behind he will tie in a fly and it works fairly well at times. As a guy who uses it all from fly to gear I've gone into that thought process as well and it has done fairly well for myself like with the jigs I make, a bunny streamer tied on a jig hook with a bit more flash up front, slightly heavier flies retrieved on a floating line to imitate a twitching action and so forth, I am sure others have done the same thing but not eveyone wants to spill the beans....  :-X

dave c

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »

Hi Clarki. I tied up seven today. Would love to share but for the life of me cant figure how to post photos on this site. If u care to send me you email or msg me i will send photos which u can share if u wish

dave c

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »

Clarki emailed pics

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »

I gotta say, this thread is golden.  As I prepared to tie some jigs last night for the first time in 11 months, I re-read this thread again. There’s some good stuff in here.

essyoo

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 11:57:28 AM »

With the caveat that I'm relatively new to freshwater salmon fishing, I have had the most success with floating jigs so far. This will be the first season for me to try tying up and fishing twitching jigs, so it remains to be seen how effective that will be in comparison. What I love about them is that they're fun to tie and easy for my kids to fish effectively.

As said above, it's had me thinking about the common advise to go sparse for coho flies when they seem to go for gaudy, tons of movement jigs. I'm going to be trying a couple of these pattern flies this weekend which try to replicate that type of silhouette and movement in smaller form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IHS409h9o

243Pete

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 12:38:00 PM »

With the caveat that I'm relatively new to freshwater salmon fishing, I have had the most success with floating jigs so far. This will be the first season for me to try tying up and fishing twitching jigs, so it remains to be seen how effective that will be in comparison. What I love about them is that they're fun to tie and easy for my kids to fish effectively.

As said above, it's had me thinking about the common advise to go sparse for coho flies when they seem to go for gaudy, tons of movement jigs. I'm going to be trying a couple of these pattern flies this weekend which try to replicate that type of silhouette and movement in smaller form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IHS409h9o

Jigs tying should be fun especially for kids, I'd imagine for a younger child or even a novice angler that catching something on a jig they tied would be quite rewarding for them.

As for the flies, I tend to go fairly sparse and small, the OPST/ Trevor Covich design is a good one, I've changed the design a little for pink salmon by adding silly legs just on the underside of the rabbit strip, tie them in about the same length as the rabbit but not to long as to prevent short strikes, and if you can make sure the legs sit splayed to the sides and not directly backwards as it will give more body and wriggle especially in current or when twitched. Tie them in different colors and sizes, got a good sized spring last year grabbed a black and chartruese one but it was made with a magnum rabbit strip tail and not a ton of flash except for a EP minnow brush for a collar.