Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018-2019 NHL Season  (Read 157241 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 2018-2019 NHL Season
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »

Canada's team is back on track. The Cup will soon be ours ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »

Canada's team is back on track. The Cup will soon be ours ;D
Right U     R.
Some on the net are spreading that the Leafs are Canada's team. Fake news !
The Leafs are mama boys ( did ya see all the Leaf players moms at the game ?  ::) )
Oh it's fun to stir the pot.
All in fun of course. Leafs are one very good team. But since their hold out joined the team it looks like it has a neg. effect on team chemistry. He's in so another winning player had to sit in the seats.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »

Lol ! Leafs are momma's boys ....... and they play like them. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2018, 11:45:27 PM »

Two wins in two nights. Time for a glass of wine...or two

TNAngler

« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »

Leafs & Preds in the recent games have not impressed me. Without their goalies bailing them out time after time both teams would have an avalanche of against goals. Infact their goalies will be burnt out by the playoffs. Both teams worthy of support of their fans though.
The team that impresses me recently just happens to be "the Canucks"  ;D
4 wins & tie....
Canucks goaltending B plus.
Canucks defence C plus/B.
Canucks forwards B plus.
Let's say B plus is worth 5 pts
C plus/B 4pts  thus I rate the Canucks 14 pts !!!!!
So if I rate the Leafs & Preds with a letter rating & then conversion to pts....they are tied with a total of 9 pts !!!!! ( they get a C for 3 pts. ) thus in science & pure unadulterated logic the Canucks will go far into the playoffs while Leafs & Preds will exit early. Max 2 rounds.
Give the kid singing the national anthem 14pts for guts but 1 pt for quality. (Florida/Leaf game...like nails on a chalk board)

LOL, I suppose that is logic of some sorts :)

Don't forget the Preds are down their top two wingers, their second center was out, and one of their top defenseman has been out for quite a while too.  All should be back within a month, then see how we do.

On a happier note, my sister came from WA to visit me here and we took her to a game, the game against Vancouver actually.  She hadn't really followed hockey before but would watch the Canucks a little bit.  She left a huge fan of both teams and they have now bought the TV package and plan on going to a couple games up there and becoming Canucks fans.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »

In a couple of years your sister will have her own NHL team to cheer for in Washington.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2018, 11:15:22 AM »

LOL, I suppose that is logic of some sorts :)

Don't forget the Preds are down their top two wingers, their second center was out, and one of their top defenseman has been out for quite a while too.  All should be back within a month, then see how we do.

On a happier note, my sister came from WA to visit me here and we took her to a game, the game against Vancouver actually.  She hadn't really followed hockey before but would watch the Canucks a little bit.  She left a huge fan of both teams and they have now bought the TV package and plan on going to a couple games up there and becoming Canucks fans.
That's great...like the Hank Williams song / writer& singer "I seen the Light" your sis is becoming a fan of the Canucks. So many Canuck fans staff at the rink need a giant 5 ft shoe horn to squeeze them into the building.
( but as FA stated when Seattle gets in will she still be a Canuck fan? To be or not to be? ... assume Wa is state of & not DC ) )
Yes Nashville has key injuries. 80 plus games ...training camp...exhibition games..playoffs ...away games...cross checking from the backside & no calls...no wonder there's injuries )
Former Edmonton player stated that when he played for the team not so long ago,that a few players went to bars & partied & had to play the next day. He said the team basically was not all in & dedicated.
Wow. Edmonton paying fans were cheated during that time.
Some players take advantage of their multi yr contract.
Try to play a fast pace game & 3-4 player have a hang over....
Hopefully most teams do not have party animals...
Ya FA the moms were at the game ...bet the Leaf players did not go to the bar & party the night before the game. Coach would twist their right ear & moms twist their sons left ear.  ;D
"Now listen here..." Kinda like ...Johnny Cash song "I walk the line".

TNAngler

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2018, 08:32:58 AM »

In a couple of years your sister will have her own NHL team to cheer for in Washington.
We are closer to Vancouver than to Seattle, even counting border traffic.  They are fed up with the NFL and so want a team now.  I think they will stay fans.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2018, 01:11:53 AM »

Gee I missed the Oiler / Canuck game a few nights ago. Had to decide between Sound of a Music or Miss Universe. Can you guess which I watched. Your wrong. Watched a Sound of Music.
Kinda a season tradition. In grade 4 our teacher showed the movie in my classrm in early 1960s.
16 mm film & big projector. What a treat to watch a movie instead of hitting the books.
Later found out there was a Canuck game.
Gee Canucks lost. Tampa out for revenge & Canucks were fat with many wins...
Rough game. At least no player lost an eye.
Wonder what Nashville team & Leafs are doing lately ?
Nashville player need a psychiatrist monthly. Boys this is how to "think".
They need to snap outta it as sometimes they look like zombies on the ice. Skate skate skate but no brain. But when their minds are clear they are a talented team.
Leafs are very talented but do not like the physical play. That will be their down fall.
If they get hit they will turtle & slow up.
Canucks remains to be seen if they can stand up for themselves if the play gets physical.
Washington Caps went all the way because they skate talented & are physical. They can give & take it.
Maybe fresh off winning the Cup they will not have the desire to make another run. Maybe 2 rounds & then go on vacation. If the Canucks somehow get to the Cup please do not lose in game 7.
Torture. Hair pulled out. Needing a hair piece if that should happen.
We fans would need to borrow Nashville's psychiatrist.

TNAngler

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2018, 07:22:04 AM »

Wasn't a pretty game last night but I am not shocked.  Before last night, we had three overtime games in a row I think.  The last just the night before in Ottowa.  Back to back games are tough enough.  Ottowa to Chicago back to back doesn't make it easier.  Then make the first game an overtime loss?  By the third period the guys just looked completely gassed.  Couple of our guys on IR are expected to return right after Christmas though so very glad we might get our main scorers back.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2018, 11:54:37 PM »

Wasn't a pretty game last night but I am not shocked.  Before last night, we had three overtime games in a row I think.  The last just the night before in Ottowa.  Back to back games are tough enough.  Ottowa to Chicago back to back doesn't make it easier.  Then make the first game an overtime loss?  By the third period the guys just looked completely gassed.  Couple of our guys on IR are expected to return right after Christmas though so very glad we might get our main scorers back.
Totally agree with that logic. These back to back & with travel...bet the players would have 5-6 hrs sleep plus tired muscles from the prior game. All the teams in the NHL are fast transition/ fast pace ...skate check;skate check...a skater may get a break on the other teams bad shift change.
Gotta give credit to these teams as they all work hard & generally any team can beat the other on any given night. In the 70's /80s /90s it was easier to predict the possible winner. Some teams would be in the other teams end of the rink 80% of the game in some cases.
Actually like how Markstrom our Canuck goalie is playing this year. He seems to be more focused for the entire game. ( oh sometimes I say bad things about TO or Preds but they are both hard working & talented.  Call Preds  zombies sometimes but guess they are just tired. ( 2nd of back to back ) just some of their games they are skating like how a dog chases after a ball. They skate like crazy but the other team just seems to pass the puck around & have more possesion of it.
But watch out when Preds are ready / rested for the game. They can be so bad one game & then be so good the next. Head scratcher.  ;D

TNAngler

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »

It is a head scratcher but at the same time, the popular commentary is that it is a long season and some of the games the guys are just tired and the effort isn't there because of that.  I guess that is fine as long as the effort is there in the playoffs.  Last year, I'm not sure that you could say that.  We made it to the second round but I don't think we ever saw our great game last year in the playoffs which is troubling.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2018, 11:32:54 PM »

Toronto opens up the flood gates. Win big.
Canucks as FA stated the last time these teams met...Blues are feeling the blues. Canucks get the best of them. Markstrom again big in the net. He's in the right angle & now challenges the shooter. Last yrs he got excited & flopped or got out of position & could not recover.
Now he stays more in his net during regular play but if it's a clear break he comes out to cut down the angle.
Good goaltending & the Canucks supplied the offence.
As for Nashville they lost 2-1 but they were in a tight checking game & had to hurry their shots.
Plus the Preds had hard shots that went off the iron & stayed out. They could of won this game as lost it.
Turns out they lost this close game.
They have a really good record though.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »

Preds #1 goalie is unbalanced & flopping down on the ice & Boston had the whole top half of the net to pot in 2 easy goals.
Preds D men were pushed into their goalie on some other goals.
Preds are a team that will give you digestion problems when they play like today's game.
Time they see the "shrink " so they can refocus & think right.
Canucks lose a heart breaker. They had the edge but still lost 1-0.
Markstrom played super but he definitely should of stopped the shot. He looked like he froze.
And Toronto opens up the flood gates & wins big again.
Canucks /Jets game explained : example a boxer wins 14 rounds & ahead in the judges cards. 15th & final round ...the guy gets knocked out.  ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2018, 03:37:32 AM »

Notice FA & TNA get very quiet when their respective teams lose ( ;D)
At least the Canucks should of won the game as they had a sizeable edge in play.
Preds played like the old past Canuck weak teams.
Maybe they need smelling salts....ya know that whatever they inhale at the bench.
Very strong smell. Honestly if your human & eat a hamburger or whatever's on the rink's concession stands menu & watch how they played ........honestly it would affect one's mood / & create a digestion problem. Hopefully Preds & Canucks get better results in their next game.
Toronto wins a close game over Red Wings on Sunday.
5-4 or was it 6-5? Maple Leafs are sailing along quite well. Win win win ....