Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squatter camp  (Read 5506 times)

dave c

Squatter camp
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »

Was fishing below the crossing yesterday on yarrow side and on my way out one of my dogs stumbled across a camp. It was in total disarray with garbage everywhere.  I understand people fall on hard times however i am concerned as parking spot for that area is for the most part out of the site lines of main road. I would hate to see more camps in that area as wooded area is quite expansive.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Squatter camp
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »

Maybe they're onto something here. If they had a rod and some gear they technically could exploit the fishing for survival rule in the regs. They could technically kill whatever they wanted just to stay alive. Its genius.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:58:30 PM »

Was fishing below the crossing yesterday on yarrow side and on my way out one of my dogs stumbled across a camp. It was in total disarray with garbage everywhere.  I understand people fall on hard times however i am concerned as parking spot for that area is for the most part out of the site lines of main road. I would hate to see more camps in that area as wooded area is quite expansive.

Hey dave C, I will be assigning people areas for our CVRCS Rivers Day cleanup on the Vedder.  Can you give me a bit more info on where this is and what people may expect if I send them there?
PM me if you prefer.

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »

Saw 2 cars near the crossing with smashed windows.....

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »

Some gasoline and a light might solve some problems

And create others...a forest fire, for example. >:(

A commando style operation would be much more efficient. Dark attires, sharp knives, silent entry...a few slit throats...leave the bloodied bodies to wild animals to take care of...problem solved! ::)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »

And create others...a forest fire, for example. >:(

A commando style operation would be much more efficient. Dark attires, sharp knives, silent entry...a few slit throats...leave the bloodied bodies to wild animals to take care of...problem solved! ::)

Maybe start a little early before the cleanup?

dave c

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »

Hey dave C, I will be assigning people areas for our CVRCS Rivers Day cleanup on the Vedder.  Can you give me a bit more info on where this is and what people may expect if I send them there?
PM me if you prefer.
Hi Dave. Its just west from ideal auto wrecking where the road makes a bend there is a small turnout just before a concrete barrier.  Holds approximately 4 cars. There is a gravel trail down to river basin. Take the first trail to the left into the bush. Cant miss it . Once you reach dried up side channel the camp is approximately 100 -200ft east of there. Did not see the person (persons) living there sorry. Much garbage,bike frames,etc.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »

Dave also one right at Teskey Rock, right bank, also across the river. 2 large camps down by the log sort area below the Freeway Bridge, they are springing up like the fall mushrooms.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »

Squatter camps are sprouting up everywhere like dandelions in the spring. Maybe it's time to relocate them like urbanized bears. Question is where. Any suggestions ?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »

Squatter camps are sprouting up everywhere like dandelions in the spring. Maybe it's time to relocate them like urbanized bears. Question is where. Any suggestions ?

Castle Fun Park.  :P  Or wait, wasn't Dino-town recently shut down?

John Revolver

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »

That's the sketchiest place to park. Im always super nervous parking there. ugh/

Fatso

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »

Yes squatter camp would probably be both very unsightly and unhygienic.  As well it would probably be archaic and dishevelled and maybe unsafe.

But they have to live somewhere.
 Unlike where most of us live they have no garbage service or sanitary disposal services.  So its going to be a mess.

Yes, they are poor but they are not all thieves or criminals.  They do not all break into cars  or are drug addicted.  They are just people, as we are.

Can't we be a little more kind?  :)

Also did you think of this,  their "carbon footprint" is far smaller than the rest of us who live in cconventional housing and drive cars and use boat motors.

If you think about it, if you believe that we have an effect on global warming, their way of life is far more
sustainable and ecofriendly than "conventional" living.

Maybe the squatters should be given more credit for saving the the Earth?

So lets not be too hasty to judge them.
And above all, lets be kind.  :)

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »

I spend 6 months a year at cultus lake as well as fishing the vedder. I have on more than one occasion gone to these various camps to retrieve my things or my neighbors things which have been stolen. When you actually see the shear volume of items in these camps you know for sure are stolen it's hard to be sympathetic. The same characters seen riding around my place at cultus are the same characters I see riding back towards these camps.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:26:04 PM by iblly »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »

Wish I knew a solution that is feasible as this is a serious problem everywhere not just here in Chilliwack, but some comments made on FB are just people venting and will not help solve the issue.

dave c

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

Yes squatter camp would probably be both very unsightly and unhygienic.  As well it would probably be archaic and dishevelled and maybe unsafe.

But they have to live somewhere.
 Unlike where most of us live they have no garbage service or sanitary disposal services.  So its going to be a mess.

Yes, they are poor but they are not all thieves or criminals.  They do not all break into cars  or are drug addicted. 
Not ALL thieves of course but please remember DEPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES and they certainly are DESPERATE!!!