Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another way of catching sockeye  (Read 4534 times)

norm_2

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Another way of catching sockeye
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »

Isn't it illegal to try to catch Salmon with any intent other than for them to bite?
That's not illegal here, though some states in the US currently have regs exactly like that, and BC actually did too back in the 90s but no longer. Currently, a fish is snagged if if its hooked in a part of the body 'other than the mouth'. How the hook actually got to the mouth is irrelevant.

As for dip nets, are there places on the Fraser it could actually be a practical method for sockeye?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »

That's not illegal here, though some states in the US currently have regs exactly like that, and BC actually did too back in the 90s but no longer. Currently, a fish is snagged if if its hooked in a part of the body 'other than the mouth'. How the hook actually got to the mouth is irrelevant.

As for dip nets, are there places on the Fraser it could actually be a practical method for sockeye?

There are. I know of two places where they are so thick and the current is super slow. I wont speak of them here but some people do know of those location.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »

--I would change your topic slightly to another way of managing sockeye harvest.
--I like the idea that there is a recognized harvest for residents only with a seasonal and yearly limit and that all catch information, including none catch information, must be recorded and returned to their fisheries department.
--I support the idea that residents be allowed to harvest their own rather than purchase fish from a commercial fishery. The harvest is controlled and for specific areas and is clearly separated from other sport fisheries with different rules.

--"Permits must be returned to ADF&G
Each household permit is also a harvest recording document. You must return your permit to ADF&G at the end of the fishing season, by the date specified on the permit, even if you did not use the permit, and even if you did use the permit but did not catch anything.
Failure to return the permit is a violation of 5 AAC 77.015(c) and may be subject to a $200 fine and loss of your personal use fishing privileges.
Personal use salmon required to be "marked"
By regulation, you must "mark" salmon harvested in a personal use fishery in which a permit is required by clipping both tips of the tail fin. Scissors or shears are the best way to cut off the tips of the tail fin.
The salmon must be marked before the salmon is concealed from plain view, such as put in a cooler, or before the salmon is transported from the fishing site, such as your vehicle. Failure to mark the salmon is a violation, and may be subject to fines and loss of future personal use fishing privileges."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

The U.S.A. does it right when it comes to fish and sport fishing.

We could really learn a lot if we were to model ourselves after them.

fletcher

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 04:24:43 PM »

Firstlight you must be kidding.  We, Washington State at least,  have done such a poor job managing our runs that we have very limited sport fishing opportunities in river anymore.  Ten years ago I could fish the Nooksack and Skagit almost eleven months a year with about five or six of those month being pretty good fishing.  Now it's more like three or four months with only weeks of decent fishing.  Be careful what you wish for cause it sucks being a sportsmen in my neck of the woods!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »

The U.S.A. does it right when it comes to fish and sport fishing.

We could really learn a lot if we were to model ourselves after them.

I think only Oregon has made some effort to limit or eliminate the practice of flossing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »

The facilities ,launches and cleaning tables and washrooms are abundant.

They actually value sportfishing in Washington and Oregon and im sure many other States.

Here we are treated like we are in the way of something and the very few launches and facilities are proof of it.

Sure the fish stocks may be hurting down south as well but that is a whole new deal as there isnt many places in this world where the fishing and supply of fish is getting better.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:17 AM »

This comes up a lot.

However it never accounts for the fact the US has 10x the population, a much broader tax base and provides much less in terms of social services to it's population.

Perhaps you'd be willing to give up public medical services for more and free boat launches?

If you don't like the launch facilities sell your boat maybe?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »

--This in part may be that the "Grass is always Greener" but the point is we should be investigating practices that may be of benefit.
--There are some joint committees and cross-border scientific associations like the American Sport Fishing Association which has scientists from both sides of the border working on common issues.
--We can learn from each other if we so choose, that is not to say that we need to totally adopt practices without investigation.

--With regard to sockeye I would just ask that there be a more clear distinction between areas where harvest is purposely allowed and encouraged. This should be separated from the general sport fishing regulation so that there is no confusion.

--The idea of a "willful take" as defined in some states to distinguish sport fishing vs harvest fishing, I think is a viable concept to explore. Not every state has the same regulation either, especially interesting some rivers along state lines have different ruled depending on which side of the river you are fishing. 

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 08:17:44 AM »

I live in Bellingham and do 90% of my salmon fishing in BC.  Yes, there are fisheries in the lower 48 that are very well funded - but these fisheries are largely funded by the dams that destroyed the salmon habitat to begin with.  Up until just a couple years ago, you could still legally kill wild steelhead in some Washington rivers.  Nearly all of our native Chinook runs are endangered, and most of our Steelhead runs as well.  They allow the retention of "wild" coho on most rivers down here because they realize the wild stocks are really already gone anyway - so they don't even bother to fin clip coho on some rivers.  There is very little public shore access on most of our rivers, and a few more boat launches really can't make up for that fact as most people can't afford a river boat anyway.

Flossing is not legal in WA but is an accepted fact on many rivers and streams anyway (Whatcom Creek chum, Samish River chinook, Puyallup river for all salmon) and is pretty common on most rivers with sufficient current down here, even if it is disguised as a more legitimate method of angling like side drifting or drifting a pegged bead.  And I believe flossing sockeye in the modern Fraser river style most closely resembles how they are sport caught on the Kenai river in Alaska as well - in addition to dip netting.  Don't forget they also frequently have legal snag fisheries in Alaska for salmon where you are allowed to rip weighted treble hooks through large schools of salmon indiscriminately. 

On the freshwater side of things, most boat launches down here require either a Fish & Wildlife Permit (which you pay for when you buy a fishing license) or a Discover Pass (which is an annual pass for Washington State Parks).  I was really disappointed when they instituted the Discover Pass system as it really bothers me that we must pay to visit our own State Parks.  And I have never heard of a saltwater boat launch down here that is free.

Yes, BC is growing quickly, but it still has amazing fisheries.  That is why you will continue to see US boats lined up at the border heading north to fish, and why you so rarely see people coming the other way to fish.  And thank you for having us!

ShaunO

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »

I live in Bellingham and do 90% of my salmon fishing in BC.  Yes, there are fisheries in the lower 48 that are very well funded - but these fisheries are largely funded by the dams that destroyed the salmon habitat to begin with.  Up until just a couple years ago, you could still legally kill wild steelhead in some Washington rivers.  Nearly all of our native Chinook runs are endangered, and most of our Steelhead runs as well.  They allow the retention of "wild" coho on most rivers down here because they realize the wild stocks are really already gone anyway - so they don't even bother to fin clip coho on some rivers.  There is very little public shore access on most of our rivers, and a few more boat launches really can't make up for that fact as most people can't afford a river boat anyway.

Flossing is not legal in WA but is an accepted fact on many rivers and streams anyway (Whatcom Creek chum, Samish River chinook, Puyallup river for all salmon) and is pretty common on most rivers with sufficient current down here, even if it is disguised as a more legitimate method of angling like side drifting or drifting a pegged bead.  And I believe flossing sockeye in the modern Fraser river style most closely resembles how they are sport caught on the Kenai river in Alaska as well - in addition to dip netting.  Don't forget they also frequently have legal snag fisheries in Alaska for salmon where you are allowed to rip weighted treble hooks through large schools of salmon indiscriminately. 

On the freshwater side of things, most boat launches down here require either a Fish & Wildlife Permit (which you pay for when you buy a fishing license) or a Discover Pass (which is an annual pass for Washington State Parks).  I was really disappointed when they instituted the Discover Pass system as it really bothers me that we must pay to visit our own State Parks.  And I have never heard of a saltwater boat launch down here that is free.

Yes, BC is growing quickly, but it still has amazing fisheries.  That is why you will continue to see US boats lined up at the border heading north to fish, and why you so rarely see people coming the other way to fish.  And thank you for having us!

Thank you for the perspective!  It's really interesting to hear your experiences with both Washington and BC sport fisheries.  We stand to learn a lot from each other and I hope that we can work (at a state and provincial level) on a harmonized management plan for our sport fisheries. 

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »

This comes up a lot.

However it never accounts for the fact the US has 10x the population, a much broader tax base and provides much less in terms of social services to it's population.

Perhaps you'd be willing to give up public medical services for more and free boat launches?

If you don't like the launch facilities sell your boat maybe?

Do you want to buy it?