Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recreational Fishing: is it dying?  (Read 5360 times)

Fatso

Recreational Fishing: is it dying?
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:17:05 PM »

I am finding that there seems to be less and less people enjoying going out and fishing?
No young people that i know have any experience with rod and reel.
There used to be hordes of beach fishermen on ECVI. Not so many now.
Hardly anybody fishing along Hwy 20 in the Chilcotin. Whats going on?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Recreational Fishing: is it dying?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:06:23 AM »

I guess it is a combination of the high price of gas, much less fish than before with lots of skunked trips, and so you don't find young people too interested to pick up the hobby when they are bored from slow fishing. It doesn't help that their little smart phone can keep them busy all day chatting and playing games. Perhaps fishing as we know it in the glory years is history. But wait a minute. If sockeye is open this summer, you probably complain why so many guys crowding the Fraser bars. Lol.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:08:18 AM by Steelhawk »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 05:42:39 AM »

The data does show that there are less people with licences. The population in BC has been climbing for a very long time too. Like you said, it's a multitude of things. I do know a lot of people that fish on the 24 every year but did not make plans this year because they didn't want to get smoked out so they booked trips elsewhere.

Shinny

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 06:37:48 AM »

No fish, expensive gear, time consuming  :P also doesn’t help that the generation before me didnt consider sustainability and overfished so there isn’t much left.  :-\

Fatso

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »

Hi Steelhawk, i Have never fished for sockeye on the Fraser river bars but i have heard about the overcrowding.  But it could be lots of fun if eveybody gets along and is kind to their fellow fisher and realizes we are all in the same "boat" so to speak.  I think it could be a great social event.

I try and take novices out whenever I get a chance.   Hopefully it sparks their interest and gives them a a  perspective to a whole new beautiful world.

Shinny

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »

Same old sockeye cycle. Guy wants to get into fishing so a friend takes him BB on the Fraser for sockeye. Novice angler catches sockeye via BB and thinks it's great, too easy and super fun. Fall comes. Same angler goes to the vedder and starts BB for coho...

Hi Steelhawk, i Have never fished for sockeye on the Fraser river bars but i have heard about the overcrowding.  But it could be lots of fun if eveybody gets along and is kind to their fellow fisher and realizes we are all in the same "boat" so to speak.  I think it could be a great social event.

I try and take novices out whenever I get a chance.   Hopefully it sparks their interest and gives them a a  perspective to a whole new beautiful world.

Fatso

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »

Yes, then he enjoys going out so much he decides to take up fly fishing. Instead of being on the computer he spends time tying flies during the winter.
Then he ends up spending lots of time on the water, hiking to and from his favourite spots and enjoying the beauty that we have all around us. Per-fect!

SilverChaser

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »

Yes, very much so. None of my friends in the Fraser Valley fish, and we live in an area where fishing is so accessible.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

poper

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »

Sure doesn’t feel like less people fishing to me,Maybe these summer months with the fraser closed seems like less, but the lakes up country in May and June in the Cariboo were busy, and when fall comes the rivers are packed. Would be interesting to see the age groups that buy licenses, maybe it’s mostly middle age people fishing these days.

Shinny

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »

There are quite a few people that have skipped getting a license this year but are still fishing. After the pink salmon debockle last year and no openings for springs.. Maybe no opening for sockeye this year unless your the correct race. Some people are like what's the point. It's obvious the money generated isn't going back into the hatchery's at all and the only people that seem to be fishing consistently on the rivers are commercial and FN nets.

Guess if your doing lake fishing your opinion might be better but I know of a few people that fish for coho maybe 6x a year in the fall and if there is no Fraser opening for spring or socks in the summer then what's the point.

My flame suit is on. I bought a license trying to ignore the pesissim but there are some that won't be buying this year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »

No it is not dying though fishing for Salmon and steelhead is definitely in trouble particularly in the Fraser watershed. I think hatchery programs will offer some decent fishing for some years but we may see most of that opportunity shift to terminal fisheries like the Vedder Chilliwack. For the most part fishing in the interior is doing well & FFSBC is having great success in developing and maintaining inland fisheries. Ditto across much of Canada.

People who want to fish Salmon and steelhead may want to consider moving to the Great Lakes if they want a better future for their salmon and steelhead angling.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 04:51:24 PM »

I don’t know if I would say yet that it’s dying, but there appears to be a long term trend of reduced opportunities, lower returns, and increased closures, especially with respect to anadramous species. Salmon and steelhead are not the only fish around, obviously, but they are the crown jewels of BC sport fishing. If access to these highly desirable  fisheries is eroded away over time, it might be hard to justify why some people should still buy licenses.

Not sure about tidal licenses but I believe the FFSBC recently said that license sales were good, or at least not declining.

Laifun

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:15 AM »

I'm fairly young and honestly I just love being out there! I've actually relocated to the Okanagan where there are more opportunities for fishing and even taken up fly fishing for more variety. I even try to inspire the girlfriend to go with me though of course the casuals/first timers do prefer catching as opposed to fishing. I guess it just depends what was really enjoyed when younger as I loved being on a dock!

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »

I love fishing...and the less people out the better  :P

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »

you wont have this conversation during October on the vedder......seen hundreds of younger fisherman going after school to the vedder for coho and chum. Well geared out as well and very successful. Fishing is not like golfing or tennis. Anglers fish where they are successful and most times the most easily accessible spots are not the best.. but are seen more by people  like say that beach on vancouver island. nobody seen  fishing there does not mean they are not fishing elsewhere.   :D