Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 174505 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #585 on: September 28, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »

as the province's closure of the Thompson starts Monday  it will be interesting to see if similar closure announcements are made for the Fraser from the mouth to Hope at that time.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #586 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:06 PM »

To protect the steelhead which so rarely get caught if at all by sports fishermen. Lets not forget the relentless onslaught of commercial gill and seine and native fishing that continues even during the closure. The chum gill net fishery is how the steelhead have met thier demise. Way to go DfO. Idiots.

To be fair I was at Gill road two days ago and saw one steelhead landed on a spin and glo. I've heard rumors of Steelhead taking a bar setup but I didn't believe it. I was converted that day.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #587 on: September 28, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »

Gill seems to be a decent spot for steelhead I saw a few pictures of some flossed at the tail end of the sockeye opening

Robert_G

« Reply #588 on: September 28, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »

And of course....the sporties are kicked out....but strangely enough.....the FNs were still allowed 'economic' netting opportunities the day before the closure. We've been basically shut down since Sept 4th, but many other user groups only just got shut down now.

Mark my words....When they open the Fraser back up for salmon on Oct 25th, there will be a FULL gill net opening for chum roe right from Point Grey to the Mission bridge....and they will counter every conservation measure (booting the sporties out *cough*) by allowing a Steelhead bycatch massacre.....seen it happen for too many years now....just watch.

Tangles

« Reply #589 on: September 28, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »

The gillnet assault has already been announced with consecutive openings starting right on the first day when it opens. Then you have the FN fisheries that are practically ongoing every day since the beginning of summer.
I'm sure the commercials will more than make up for the time lost so everybody is happy.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #590 on: September 29, 2018, 07:30:19 AM »

And of course....the sporties are kicked out....but strangely enough.....the FNs were still allowed 'economic' netting opportunities the day before the closure. We've been basically shut down since Sept 4th, but many other user groups only just got shut down now.

Mark my words....When they open the Fraser back up for salmon on Oct 25th, there will be a FULL gill net opening for chum roe right from Point Grey to the Mission bridge....and they will counter every conservation measure (booting the sporties out *cough*) by allowing a Steelhead bycatch massacre.....seen it happen for too many years now....just watch.

Band at Harrison mills are pulling up nets as I type this. In the Fraser at Calamity point.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #591 on: September 29, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

Immediate salmon retention closure has been issued for the Fraser River mouth:

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=214818&ID=all
Half a dozen boats trolling off the mouth of the north arm right now ?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #592 on: September 29, 2018, 10:17:24 AM »

Half a dozen boats trolling off the mouth of the north arm right now ?

Commercial or rec ?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #593 on: September 29, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »

Sportys with downriggers out

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #594 on: September 29, 2018, 10:38:03 AM »

They are in 29-3 or 29-4 it’s open

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #595 on: September 29, 2018, 10:47:51 AM »

I would say two of those boats are definitely not far enough out for that but I'm not sure how far out the line is ?

mikeyman

« Reply #596 on: September 29, 2018, 11:16:32 AM »

Draw a line from the end of north arm and south arm jetty. Stay outside that.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #597 on: October 01, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »

Last I read the PSC estimate on the late run was 6 million which is significantly lower than the pre-season estimate of 7.4 million. That's a 20% forecast error. It's obvious that the DFO/PSC forecast models have been seriously underestimating actual returns for a few years at least. In that context while a 20% error while not good it isn't the worst they have done. This fall run cycle, thanks to the Adams and Weaver Creek stocks, is the most productive Fraser stock so it does get harvested at a higher %. Even if the PSC council is no longer issuing weekly reports (Sept 21st was the last) the Mission HA numbers are still tabulated and DFO is still issuing updates as they did on Tuesday.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=214513&ID=all

Having a look at the HA Mission numbers, unless they are still holding in the chuck, the late run was completely over estimated and/or decimated by seine nets, by DFO.  Yesterday's HA numbers: 7,600 (lowest since July 13th).  Since Sept 4th (Fraser closure, pretty much at end of summer run), only 1.6M late runs have made it past Mission....

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #598 on: October 01, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »

you're right as far as the numbers go. The Sept 25th sockeye update said numbers in the chuck were highly uncertain and estimated it at 0.5 million to 1.5 million. As I believe I said before segments of the Fall run are so productive it is often harvested at a high ratio. Weaver Creek for example can produce well over 200k+ but only needs 20k or so to fill the spawning channel.  Much the same with the Lower Adams.

Looking at Mission; PSC  reported Mission passage of 800k as of Sept 14 with a catch of 2million. Since then about 1.2 million have passed Mission per HA fence.  Escapement of 2 million to Sep 30th
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:40:41 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #599 on: October 01, 2018, 11:27:21 PM »

Isn't the late run supposed to be the largest volume?  Looks like a whole lot never made it back.  That should be considered a big deal and looks like DFO allowed a much greater harvest than made it past Mission... thought DFO's first priority was conservation...? They certainly preach it (shutting down a whole river for a few steelhead), but didn't practice it for the late run socks.... sad, disheartening, and further confidence undermining....