Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 174265 times)

Robert_G

Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #555 on: September 22, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

gee Rob you sound like an economic expert! What exactly is the 'middle class'?

Really Ralph? Wealthy people hide their money.....at least they pay sales tax on what they buy, but poor people (and certain special interest groups of course **cough** *natives* ** cough**) pay virtually nothing in taxes.... and are a drain on the economy. Middle class are the people who pay all the taxes and get the least back.....been that way forever now....and just getting worse each year.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:23:51 AM by Robert_G »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #556 on: September 22, 2018, 10:48:04 AM »

21 Seine boats working off the Fraser estuary now.  Scooping up the last of the sockeye.  Pictures to follow.

Funny, not enough fish for the sporties.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:03:50 AM by VAGAbond »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »

21 Seine boats working off the Fraser estuary now.  Scooping up the last of the sockeye.  Pictures to follow.

25%-50% post release mortality for coho, chinook and steelhead.

Fatso

« Reply #558 on: September 22, 2018, 11:06:23 AM »

for those interested the sports catch in the fraser was 67,000.

thank you.  :)

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #559 on: September 22, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »

Can’t understand the opening, 90% of the sockeye are red and don’t make good table fare

mikeyman

« Reply #560 on: September 22, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »

Jimmy Pattison 1 - sockeye -0

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #561 on: September 22, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »

So if I understand this correctly, the river was closed (in essence, to bottom bouncing) due to DFO's decision to protect a couple of runs (which tributaries are these destined for?  Years ago they opened sockeye retention upstream of the Vedder)....
- They allow catching in the chuck (except gill netting, thank god), including near the Fraser mouth... don't the protected runs need to stage / swim past the mouth?
   - Seine fishers appear to be in some level of noncompliance, hence the issuance of notice FN1048-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Area B - Area 29.... does the potential noncompliance include issues with by-catch?
- Now they allow FN catches in the river.....

I agree, rec fishers getting a raw deal

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #562 on: September 22, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »

Can’t understand the opening, 90% of the sockeye are red and don’t make good table fare

Turning while still in salt water? 
If not, 3-4 days swim from mouth to Aggasiz, never thought they would turn that fast once they enter fresh water....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 12:54:55 PM by marshal »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #563 on: September 22, 2018, 03:58:21 PM »

I suppose it is a matter of perspective and opinion if rec anglers are getting a raw deal.

However other than 2010 and 2014 I can't recall many years when sockeye remained open much past Labour Day. Both those years had very large returns; 2010 the largest on record, 2014 certainly in the top 3 on record.

Closures were frequently in place to protect Interior coho or at minimum 'selective fishing methods' requests to allow harvest of chinook and pinks, in off numbered years.

Sport angling closures in freshwater are the norm and openings are for the most part by exception. DFO manages the fishery as a whole so that some spots are open while other closed may not be of much meaning in the larger context.

Overall the closure on sockeye retention is the norm but really what you mean is it's closed where you fish, ergo you must be discriminated against.

Yeah you are discriminated against. We all are everyday in some form. Discrimination isn't always a bad thing and sometimes it's downright justified.

Get over it.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2018, 04:22:43 PM »

Discrimination isn't always a bad thing and sometimes it's downright justified.
Get over it.

It is absolute trash like this that comes out of your mouth which is why very few here give you any credibility to what you say. Unbelievable.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #565 on: September 22, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »

It is absolute trash like this that comes out of your mouth which is why very few here give you any credibility to what you say. Unbelievable.

Out of my mouth? Are you unable to discriminate between the written word and audible speech?  ;D

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #566 on: September 22, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »

I suppose it is a matter of perspective and opinion if rec anglers are getting a raw deal.

However other than 2010 and 2014 I can't recall many years when sockeye remained open much past Labour Day. Both those years had very large returns; 2010 the largest on record, 2014 certainly in the top 3 on record.

Closures were frequently in place to protect Interior coho or at minimum 'selective fishing methods' requests to allow harvest of chinook and pinks, in off numbered years.

Yeah you are discriminated against. We all are everyday in some form. Discrimination isn't always a bad thing and sometimes it's downright justified.

Get over it.

RalpH - I'm not following your logic....

I'm saying that:
- We have been told the reason for the river closure was to protect certain runs... makes sense
- Then the river is opened to certain groups (and the mouth/tidal to other groups) in spite of this need to protect the runs
- Rec fishers would likely have the least by-catch impact on these runs, by far, out of any of the groups
- Rec fishers are left without an opportunity to harvest from the largest part of the 2006/2010/2014 cycle run in 2018 (where in 2010 the rec opening closed Sept. 19th (run peak was Sept 12) and 2014 the opening closed Oct 5 (run peak was Sept 19)).  Also, not sure what tributary runs are being protected, but in 2011, the Fraser rec opening remained open upstream of the Vedder after Sept 5, until the 19th)

If its about run protection, then DFO is saying one thing and doing another, thereby, the freshwater rec fishers are being left behind.

Tangles

« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »

Forget it folks, whatever arguments and stats you bring up RalphH is always going be come out on top. It's simple - he is the most knowledgable and insightful person on this forum - always was, always will. He'll comment on every thread and defeat your argument with a bang. Spare yourselves the embarassment and focus on other activities.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #568 on: September 22, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »

Ralph lost me a long time ago. I used to moderate three old fishing forums. People like that arnt worth my time. I honestly skim over what he wrote or dont even bother. His words are not worth my time. I often wonder if hes a recreational fisherman. His arguments always seem to favor the dark side. Like I said. Not worth a quote or a reply.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #569 on: September 23, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »

Roger that.  Thanks gentlemen.