Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170139 times)

avid angler

Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #405 on: August 27, 2018, 11:45:09 AM »

Yeah It got really bad in the late 90's. Was hoping people would just stay off the water for the FN fishery

Uuuum what? Theirs net openings literally every weekend and your hoping people will just stay off the water when we fish 3 weeks every 4th year? You are one dumb beek. It's a big river. Lots of room for everyone to fish. When theirs conflict it's usually because people are looking for it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #406 on: August 27, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »

Uuuum what? Theirs net openings literally every weekend and your hoping people will just stay off the water when we fish 3 weeks every 4th year? You are one dumb beek. It's a big river. Lots of room for everyone to fish. When theirs conflict it's usually because people are looking for it.

Just for the economic opening, When their is money and greed involved its a different beast out their.

Not saying that for the FSC fisheries that happen daily and seem to be way less intrusive to the sports fishery. 

Anyways your right tho no reason to avoid it. If you can't handle a net though going though your drift and your hot headed tho stay home. Their is no way this ends good for sports fishermen.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #407 on: August 27, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »

Seems thoughtless to me that DFO would plan economic opportunity openings on the weekends - wouldn't that just increase conflict?  Why not do it as the same time as the commercial gillnetting below Mission Bridge, or even the day before?  If the FN economic openings are upstream of the commercial openings anyway, do EO on Monday Tuesday and commercial on Wednesday and/ or Thursday.  There's lots of options here.

On a somewhat unrelated note, are set-nets allowed to be left out overnight?  We almost hit one in the early morning twilight yesterday - scare the crap out of us.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #408 on: August 27, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »

I was fishing around island 22 today. They were drift netting the bar really close to shore and other boats. It doesnt bother me. What bothers me is seeing the lack of fish in the river. They probably pulled up 2 fish for one full sweep of the bar. We casted for hours at the tail end of the bar. We had first crack at the sockeye. Not a sniff. My friend and I were talking with the band members quite a bit. The other non FN om the bar were d!cks towards the FN. Adter a few runs the band members came to us and gifted a 30 pound spring each. One for me and one for my buddy. The 6 other guys who were hurling insults at the FN got pissy and left. I went home today with a big spring and roe for sturgeon.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #409 on: August 27, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »

I was fishing around island 22 today. They were drift netting the bar really close to shore and other boats. It doesnt bother me. What bothers me is seeing the lack of fish in the river. They probably pulled up 2 fish for one full sweep of the bar. We casted for hours at the tail end of the bar. We had first crack at the sockeye. Not a sniff. My friend and I were talking with the band members quite a bit. The other non FN om the bar were d!cks towards the FN. Adter a few runs the band members came to us and gifted a 30 pound spring each. One for me and one for my buddy. The 6 other guys who were hurling insults at the FN got pissy and left. I went home today with a big spring and roe for sturgeon.
As thoughtful as that may seem, they are supposed to release alive all non-sockeye, and report all bycatch.  I think they are giving away springs to avoid having their netting shut down for having too big of an impact on non-target species.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #410 on: August 27, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »

So far, it looks like mainly drift nets are being allowed for 10-12 hours per day, Mon - Weds this week, from Sumas River (canal) upstream to Laidlaw.

There is also an opening of set and drift nets below Port Mann on Monday, from 3-10pm and another added from noon Tuesday through to Wednesday morning
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:23:27 PM by marshal »

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #411 on: August 27, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »

With all these openings and nets, let's call it a season guys. Look forward to the fall fishery in our tributaries.  ;)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #412 on: August 27, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »

As thoughtful as that may seem, they are supposed to release alive all non-sockeye, and report all bycatch.  I think they are giving away springs to avoid having their netting shut down for having too big of an impact on non-target species.

I'm still blown away to see two big springs netted within 20 feet from the bar that had an army of people bouncing. For those fish to get by all those people is amazing. Was a real eye opener. Drift after drift . Zero sockeye caught by anglers and the nets kept picking fish up.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #413 on: August 27, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »

Quick limit today up at a upper Frasr bar this morning. Lots of fish still moving through! Filling the freezer!

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »

Quick limit today up at a upper Frasr bar this morning. Lots of fish still moving through! Filling the freezer!

Opposite of what I (and many) experienced this morning at a bar near Aggasiz....

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #415 on: August 27, 2018, 07:48:48 PM »

Stacy McNeil
August 25 at 11:53 PM ·

Every year we deal with this. Disrespect for our indigenous rights and traditions, our sacred fishing grounds and our people.
Today, although not new to us, we had sports fisherman decide to anchor their boat in front of our fish camp. Two indigenous women and three children were at the river cutting and cleaning our fish, enjoying the teachings we were passing on and the gathering of our family’s food. The sports-fishermen began loud, obnoxious conversations loaded with disgraceful language. After some time, one of the mothers asked them to please stop using foul language in front of our children.
Their response was to tell us to shut up and begin urinating in front of us, asking us to suck their cocks. The first offender left his penis out for a long period of time, repeating his earlier request. The mother again asked for them to stop as children were present but they did not. They had no fear in front of us women and children. Eventually, their comments and lewdness got worse. According to them, we are dumb Indians who are stealing all of the fish, getting free fish and free gas. More and more words slandering our people and culture occurred.
While I was on the phone with rcmp, as the abuse could be heard all down the river, three boats full of indigenous warriors came and circled the offenders, suggesting that they move along. The offenders continued to insult these men, calling them down as people who have stolen fish for many years, etc. Eventually, they pulled anchor and drifted away - not before one of them rolled his pants and underwear down to provide everyone with a full frontal view of his privates.
All of these five “men” were drinking.
Rcmp reported to be on their way but did not come, calling first to say they would be sending instead an email address via text for us to send the photos we had taken. We have many and share one with you now.
Enough is enough. Our fishing grounds are sacred. Our ancient sturgeon use them to feed also and are being mercilessly tormented day in and day out. Sports fisherman should not fish near our traditional sites. Stop the disrespect. ✊🏼

As a white man this makes me so embarrassed and angry. 

I am so sorry that the people of the SAY Nations have to experience this crap.  I hope these pieces of cupcakes get busted for indecent exposure and child abuse.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #416 on: August 27, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »

As a white man this makes me so embarrassed and angry. 

I am so sorry that the people of the SAY Nations have to experience this crap.  I hope these pieces of cupcakes get busted for indecent exposure and child abuse.

What other people do shouldn't embarrass you. That is false White Guilt coming into your subconscious. Let it go. Idiot's dont look the same. They come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm not calling that woman a liar. BUT. If grown men were waving their members at children, why didn't the police make an arrest ? If that were kids at a school it would be a different story. Am I to assume that an entire major RCMP department is racist towards natives and doesnt give a crap ? I doubt it.

The last part to that comment " Traditional fishing grounds " bothers me. If its band land, I stay away. By that logic, u dont want someone parking in front of my house because it's my traditional guest parking area. Common.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:45:45 PM by Hike_and_fish »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #417 on: August 27, 2018, 09:09:05 PM »

the Police don't respond to many reported crimes in progress for a variety of reasons; priorities, difficulty of making an arrest (they'd need a boat in this case) time constraints etc.

I agree with Knnn, it's shameful.

BTW the Fraser is their traditional fishing grounds. Get over it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #418 on: August 27, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »

the Police don't respond to many reported crimes in progress for a variety of reasons; priorities, difficulty of making an arrest (they'd need a boat in this case) time constraints etc.

I agree with Knnn, it's shameful.

BTW the Fraser is their traditional fishing grounds. Get over it.

BTW it's my traditional fishing grounds as well. Just as they are everyone who grew up fishing the Fraser.

This whole i was here first logic is childish. I have no problems with what they do. We have plenty of family in a band near Vancouver. I myself and part FN. Dont talk to me like you know better. This country and world will always be in a state of growth and change. As human beings we all need to learn to share and respect other. That womans comment at the end was ignorant. The events that happened are disgusting. She ended on a very ignorant note. Get over it.

BBarley

« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »

So I grew up with FN people all around me and shared the river with them all the time, pretty hard not to growing up along the Skeena.....

Ignorant people and stupid people are everywhere, to what degree is purely in the eye of the beholder. Just the other day some nob was having fun chasing flocks of mergansers around the river in his jet boat on his way back from fishing, coming roaring right past me without a care in the world, almost costing me a fish from my rock garden. Felt like going down and meeting said boaters at the boat launch and offering a peace of my mind, but decided to let it pass and let karma get him. For every belligerent drunk lipping off the FN's, there's a meticulous person combing the shoreline picking up line and garbage and people helping perfect strangers land fish and share some wisdom. Focusing on all the bad apples is not reflective of this fishery, even as repulsive as it may be to some of the frowners on the angling method. Turning it into a race thing is just flat out pathetic. If you don't like it, do something about it or take up bowling......

Getting back to the fishery, anyone know how much longer it will stay open considering the test nets aren't exactly indicative of a huge late push of fish on the way? Surely there can't be any more area 29 GN openings to come this week.....