Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 174249 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2018, 03:53:16 PM »

I like the window between the commercial. That's better than the two 4 wlthey had last week. The area looks like Mission bridge and down. Its 24 klm roughly from the Missuin bridge to Island 22 on the river. Those fish should take half a day to get from Mission to There. So I'm guessing the fishing may slow down in the evening on Wendsay and  pick up again some time Saturday night. The 8 hour window between commercial openings doesnt mean a whole lot since itll take fish 2 days to get from the mouth to Chilliwack. Whatever stocks replenish the waters will only be scooped up again Thursday morning.

Fish will be caught. For some people it wont be limiting out in a matter of minutes till possibly Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Robert_G

« Reply #271 on: August 14, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »

I like the window between the commercial. That's better than the two 4 wlthey had last week. The area looks like Mission bridge and down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm reading this notice correctly....this opening is much larger overall than last weeks Area E opening. I'm seeing 1 day for all areas...and a second day for certain areas(most).
Last week was a one day opening and done.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #272 on: August 14, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »

Fish will be caught. For some people it wont be limiting out in a matter of minutes till possibly Saturday night or Sunday morning.

And that's exactly how I'm planning to time my sockeye fishing this weekend. Work until 5:00 PM in Abbotsford, hit the river somewhere between Chilliwack and Hope, catch my Saturday limit (hopefully) before it gets too dark, sleep in the truck for a few hours, and then catch another 2 fish early Sunday morning.

Since my only investment will be 20$ for the extra gas from Abbotsford, that means I can hope for a 5$/fish bounty.
Not bad at all - fingers crossed.  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

This will be a great opportunity to purchase some legal fish and fire up the smoker and pressure cooker.
Smoked canned Sockeye is pretty hard to beat.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2018, 04:52:23 PM »

Anybody know how much are the sockeyes selling for at the Steveston dock ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »

I brought home a pair from this morning's fishing trip to the north side west of Hope. Fishing wasn't hot but was steady. River seems quite high for this time of year.

This was my first fishing trip since the beginning of May. In early June I was had a cycling accident and broke my clavicle, cracked 3 ribs, had whiplash plus soft tissue damage in my left shoulder. I must be all but recovered!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »

Anybody know how much are the sockeyes selling for at the Steveston dock ?

8$/pound, according to CBC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sockeye-salmon-fishing-1.4780157

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »

The fish has to be landed by person legal to fish (either licensed or under 16). Just 'being there' is not enough. If fish are gifted to someone who isn't legally able to fish or has retianed their bag or retention limit, it has to be documented.

If someone is fishing with illegal tackle - call RAPP.
illegal tackle? You mean a barbed hook? Do you think calling RAPP will get a officer to come out and make a arrest? Lol

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2018, 05:54:30 PM »

commencial fishers at the fisherman wharf in maple ridge was selling sockeye for 25 bucks a fish during the last open.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »

must be $8/lb for dressed fish.Filets in the store were going for $15/lb.

illegal tackle? You mean a barbed hook? Do you think calling RAPP will get a officer to come out and make a arrest? Lol

Yes... No.

Where you the guy giggling?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:03:23 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »

commencial fishers at the fisherman wharf in maple ridge was selling sockeye for 25 bucks a fish during the last open.

The guy at the top of the wharf sells them for $25 and is allways more expensive but i bet if you talk directly to a fisherman you can maybe find a deal.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2018, 06:16:38 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm reading this notice correctly....this opening is much larger overall than last weeks Area E opening. I'm seeing 1 day for all areas...and a second day for certain areas(most).
Last week was a one day opening and done.

I thought last week was a 24 hour opening

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2018, 06:45:04 PM »

The guy at the top of the wharf sells them for $25 and is allways more expensive but i bet if you talk directly to a fisherman you can maybe find a deal.

Yeah last cycle i got some direct for 15 at the start of the season and 10 by the end.

a little bit of a PITA to time it right

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »

I thought last week was a 24 hour opening

now it's 2 x 16 hours with an 8 hour break in between.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #284 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »

This will be a great opportunity to purchase some legal fish and fire up the smoker and pressure cooker.
Smoked canned Sockeye is pretty hard to beat.
The best way to go although I have never bought a fish. Got my license today so hope to get some bar fishing in soon if the river clears. So much activity out there hard to get a spot now that the Leaf Craft is gone.