Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170254 times)

bobby b

Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »

Well this thread has completely taxied off the runway..... :o

This will be my first 'Fraser Sockeye' experience ..... should be interesting..

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »

Well this thread has completely taxied off the runway..... :o

Yes it makes me think of this Monty Python sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXW6tfl2Y0

... don't know why?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »

Sorry....but if anyone who read ALL the posts can't see that he was trolling me, then.....well.....

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

Next weaker Blob is already being predicted https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/el-nino-2018-noaa-prediction-1.4768316

Coho have been think now for almost a month from Campbell river down to Vancouver, Easy Limits off South Bown for almost a month now. So thick you can drag a fly in the wake with a fly rod and they will hammer them them in peel line out. Crazy fun

Wow, bucktailing just like the old days. Never had a chance to enjoy  that. I have seen the reports from up Island but most coho were 'at depth' as they were before they abandoned the Straight for the outside waters.

FWIW most of the climate change model applications for Pacific Salmon have predicted a sort of diminishing sine wave abundance behaviour. Periods of high abundance followed by low abundance with an overall trend of diminishing abundance over a few decades.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Shinny

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »

Yes, I can see this conversation will go no further until I grow up. Cheers.

Ughhhh  ::) enough already about the water taxis. It’s a three person conversion and no else cares anymore ... let’s get back to the sock talk.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:44:15 AM by Shinny »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »

Ughhhh  ::) enough already about the water taxis. It’s a three person conversion and no else cares anymore ... let’s get back to the sock talk.

Your socks don't match and they have holes in them.  ::)

Just get your bb'ing gear ready.  ;D

Shinny

« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »

Your socks don't match and they have holes in them.  ::)

I spent all my money on bouncy Bettie and 18ft long leaders. I needed to skimp somewhere. You can't see the holes in my socks when I'm knee deep in the Fraser.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »

I spent all my money on bouncy Bettie and 18ft long leaders. I needed to skimp somewhere. You can't see the holes in my socks when I'm knee deep in the Fraser.

Oh snap - I just finished tieing up 50 10' leaders and not the standard is 18'  :o Dang it - I wasted all that time and leader - oh well, I still have time to salvage the hooks by cutting them off and then will wrap up some 20' leads just to make sure. I'm gonna be honest, I'm a little scared to cast those long leaders. I'll have to lay them out befhind me but the current is going to drag them down stream behind me and when I cast I might hook my hat.

If I hook a Spring with the long leader and have to jump into the boat to chase it down, I'll never be able to net the beast unless I drag him around until he drowns. Oh well, so much for catch and release.

All seriously though, I don't like leaders so long that they tough the water behind me when I go to cast. I sort of like the leader to be about a foot less than the rod I use.

All this silly talk about the long leaders and over playing fish is kind of turning me off the urge to get out for Socks. I'm struggling with the thought of going out for them socks. Who knows - maybe I'll find myself out there.

Good luck out there, it's bound to be a good time.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »

Just went to Cabelas for a new pair of flip flops. It was a GONG SHOW. The lineup for new reels getting spooked was 14 people deep. I then went to Fred's to get two eats reels spoiled and it was dead.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »

I just got back from a drive around the Fraser to look at a few access spots.

Old Orchard launch has cement blocks blocking access. The area has filled in withe so much gravel that as the water drops even more this launch is effectively useless.

Peg Leg - the river channel is swift and deep so there won't be any access there. Can't park anywhere along the channel below Peg Leg as there are concrete barriers all along the channel.

Jesperson - not much room there for parking trucks with trailer. Guy is going to have to be there at 4:00am to get a parking spot and to get in line to launch a boat.

Gill - so many people there camping in the dusty parking lot - nuts. I see a couple truck with campers and boats drove across to shallows to the bar downstream of the launch.

Ferry landing packed with campers. Good luck getting a spot on Tuesday.

I didn't bother going to Herrling or up to Laidlaw - don't know if it's safe to cross to the bar.

Boat launch onthe North side of the Harrison was packed with truck and trailer. Kilby was packed as well with beach users.

Saw a boat on trailer coming up from Dewdney Slough launch road but I didn't bother going down to check with all the traffic.

Mission launch looked packed.

River is still pretty high so the banks are going to be pretty dangerous to walk in from the freeway. Be careful out there on Tuesday.

Sad that river access is not as friendly as it once was.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »

I just got back from a drive around the Fraser to look at a few access spots.

Old Orchard launch has cement blocks blocking access. The area has filled in withe so much gravel that as the water drops even more this launch is effectively useless.

Peg Leg - the river channel is swift and deep so there won't be any access there. Can't park anywhere along the channel below Peg Leg as there are concrete barriers all along the channel.

Jesperson - not much room there for parking trucks with trailer. Guy is going to have to be there at 4:00am to get a parking spot and to get in line to launch a boat.

Gill - so many people there camping in the dusty parking lot - nuts. I see a couple truck with campers and boats drove across to shallows to the bar downstream of the launch.

Ferry landing packed with campers. Good luck getting a spot on Tuesday.

I didn't bother going to Herrling or up to Laidlaw - don't know if it's safe to cross to the bar.

Boat launch onthe North side of the Harrison was packed with truck and trailer. Kilby was packed as well with beach users.

Saw a boat on trailer coming up from Dewdney Slough launch road but I didn't bother going down to check with all the traffic.

Mission launch looked packed.

River is still pretty high so the banks are going to be pretty dangerous to walk in from the freeway. Be careful out there on Tuesday.

Sad that river access is not as friendly as it once was.
Island 22 but there is a charge, I think it is $10. The good part your vehicle should be fairly safe from Vandalism with so much traffic there.

Shinny

« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »

$10/launch or $50/year pass. Pass is also good at the Dewdney boat launch and vice versa

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2018, 07:02:01 PM »

^yes sir

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »

Yes, Island 22 is definitely your best bet for launching and vehicle safety. I'll bet the line up at the gate Tuesday morning will be right near to the turn-off.  ;D

I laugh to my self thinking how many times I waited at the gate just hoping it would open early. Not doing that any more.

sumasriver

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2018, 10:51:33 PM »

Yup. Got to get out early.  Sockeye is a first light fishery... LOL