Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170277 times)

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »

Water taxi for the purpose of fishing is guiding and is illegal unless you have a guiding licence and insurance. Not to mention you cannot leave clients in unattended, this is also illegal.
If a bit of pocket cash is worth being sued by someone, than maybe it’s worth a try.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »

Well, here it is.  I was wrong - they are allowing retention of springs.

Category(s):
    RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0709-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Region 2 - Non-Tidal Fraser River - Salmon Opportunities

The current status of the Fraser River Sockeye salmon return provides for
recreational sockeye retention opportunities in Region 2 (Fraser and Harrison
Rivers). 

Waters: Fraser River waters in Region 2(non-tidal waters of the Fraser River);
and that portion of the Harrison River downstream of the Highway 7 Bridge to
the confluence with the Fraser River.

Management Measures: 

Effective August 7 until September 3, 2018:

- The daily limit for Sockeye salmon is two (2).
- The daily limit for Chinook salmon is four (4) with only one (1) greater than
50 cm.

Reminder: In Region 2, fishing for salmon is only permitted from one hour
before sunrise to one after sunset each day.

Variation Order No. 2018-RCT-0401, 2018-RFQ-0402 – Region 2 Quota, 2018—RFQ-403

Notes:

Single Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in non-tidal waters
of British Columbia.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters and non-
tidal waters in British Columbia.

The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and
coho salmon.  Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for
coast-wide stock assessment.  Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program
toll free at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

If you’re going fishing for salmon in non-tidal (fresh) waters, you need a Non-
Tidal Angling Licence, issued by the Province of British Columbia.  Visit the
provincial website to buy your licence. Licences are available to B.C.residents
and non-residents. Fees may vary and are listed online.
(www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences)

Anglers are advised to check http://bcsportfishguide.ca for fishing closures
and other recreational fishing information

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336 or the British Columbia’s toll-free RAPP line (Report All
Poachers and Polluters) at 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »

there will also be Commercial gillnet fisheries in the Straight and the entire river from the mouth to Mission Wednesday 7am to Thursday 7am and  in the US waters at various times(these have been underway already). The in river opening in particular will impact the fishing up river sometime Thursday into the weekend. Go Tuesday Wednesday if can at all - which I can't. Sunday next weekend might be good.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »

Wow even Ralph has sockeye fever

I’m glad to see everyone so happy, looks like it’s gonna be a good coho year too, they are think right now in the Straight of Georgia.

Glad to see everyone so happy, get out and have fun

Game on boys

Robert_G

« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »

Water taxi for the purpose of fishing is guiding and is illegal unless you have a guiding licence and insurance. Not to mention you cannot leave clients in unattended, this is also illegal.

I'll say it again. It would never stand in court. You can't discriminate between water taxi and road taxi. If a road taxi takes me and my gear to the Vedder river....it is not different. I'm still paying someone to get me to a fishing spot. Whether it is by boat, car, bus, snowmobile, airplane....it doesn't matter. If you snowmobile me for money across to the same spot in winter as a water taxi does in summer.....what happens there??? As long as no guiding is taking place...any charge would fall flat in court. Like I said….way too many unknowns for a charge to stand in court.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »

Why Aug7? skip the long weekend

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2018, 05:40:24 PM »

I'll say it again. It would never stand in court. You can't discriminate between water taxi and road taxi. If a road taxi takes me and my gear to the Vedder river....it is not different. I'm still paying someone to get me to a fishing spot. Whether it is by boat, car, bus, snowmobile, airplane....it doesn't matter. If you snowmobile me for money across to the same spot in winter as a water taxi does in summer.....what happens there??? As long as no guiding is taking place...any charge would fall flat in court. Like I said….way too many unknowns for a charge to stand in court.

I worked with a guy 4 years ago who would take people out Sturgeon fishing. The people he took were all coworkers. A local guide bassed oit of Mission accused him of guiding illegaly. A few days later he ran into DFO at the Mission launch. The officer was abrupt and very vocal. He accused my old boss of guiding illegaly and if he does it again he'll have his boat seized. The officer said he got a tip from a friend.

Now. Some people think they own that launch AND the Fraser. My only advice is dont stir the pot ( whatever you do ) and avoid conflict. Even tho my old boss wasn't doing anything wrong, there are people that have good relationships with the powers that be on the water.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »

DFO is never too considerate of the recreational fishing group. What seems to be so natural to open for the long weekend so more of us can head out with the family to enjoy the festivities of salmon fishing on the Fraser doesn't seem to register in the minds of those making the decision to open our fishery. Then when they have the opening for us on Tuesday, they will also soon open all the commercial nettings to make it much harder for the sporties. Most people work from Tuesday to Friday and kids may be in school still. So explaining why these DFO folk don't want the kids to join the father or grandfathers to the fishing bars can be frustrating. It almost seem like they hate to do anything to facilitate the recreational fishing group but they have to open it because the commies and commercial FNs are at it and they want our license fees.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »

This has been done before - the opening after the long weekend. I also think it's wrong as they've already decided they are going to open it but is the concern that a couple thousand fish will be taken out of the system by Rec fishermen? Or do they want to ensure the "protected" sockeye get past the Rec fisheries zone without danger of all those hooks? Or does another group have a netting opportunity and they don't want to be inconvenienced by the pesky Rec fisherman with their 3oz lead ball flying around? Whatever - as Bert called it - "it is what it is".

Interesting on the Chinook retention allowance - I guess it was more work to enforce a regulation that many will ignore. Funny you didn't see the leader length request. Again I think everyone making decisions knows that the surplus sockeye is more than the rivers are going to be able to accommodate and again, why bother with an interim regulation that is just going to needlessly slow down the CO's

The only thing I was surprised with is the way the wrote that retention limit - some people are going to interpret that they are allowed to retain 2 Sockeye PLUS 4 Chinook.

I wouldn't get to excited about sockeye being open until 03 Sept. Isn't that traditionally the approximate time the Chinook 50cm reg turn into 62cm or was that the timing of near peak Coho numbers in the Fraser? Or was that the timing of the Chum netting program for roe collection?

Anyways it looks like the probability of a few weeks anyways.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »

The only thing I was surprised with is the way the wrote that retention limit - some people are going to interpret that they are allowed to retain 2 Sockeye PLUS 4 Chinook.

I concur, poorly worded.

Robert_G

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »

Its been said before enough times. The fact that they are not opening this weekend is 100% politics....nothing more.....and it isn't ever going to change.

dave c

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »

Freds webpage says sockeye opening Aug 7th. Can anyone confirm?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2018, 10:14:12 PM »

Freds webpage says sockeye opening Aug 7th. Can anyone confirm?
Yep, see the notice I posted further up on this page.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »

I will be buying mine at the local wharf.
The cupboard hasnt had a jar of fish in it for a while now and will be good to stock up again.
Lightly smoked and then into the jars. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2018, 11:40:15 PM »

With the cost of gas these days, it's way cheaper to buy them from the local fishermen.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42