Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170265 times)

tworivers

Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »

Rodney's linked YouTube opening commentary.
"Back again. Seems like it was just yesterday, when we were here last..."
So true in all respects to this fishery.

Fatso

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 12:42:04 AM »

Long live this fishery. May those who partake in this fishery have lots of fun and enjoy lots of food from the harvest if this fabulous resource!
Happy eating!
.....and remember, these fish are tasty and nutritious.  There are a dozen ways to prepare them and they are all excellent!  :)

Fatso

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »

Best be happy if you can.   :)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »

I'm not so happy about the idea of thousands of people who usually don't fish buying bottom snagging gear for a few weeks of opening and then seeing them on the rivers in the fall, but I guess on the temporary bright side of things, there will be less people where I've been fishing lately once this news gets out :).
Just like three and four years ago, we experienced anglers need to be prepared for renewed stewardship on the rivers this fall.  Carry extra floats to give away, have patience, and speak softly.  You will be dealing with people who literally don't know any better.  Help land and release fish that are not legally hooked (and the odd Cultus sockeye).  Advise as to what fish make proper table fare - but don't fret if you see more black springs bonked because people want to learn that lesson on their own.

And yes, as long as the Fraser is open for sockeye, you will notice far fewer people on the Vedder and other popular rivers.  Let's hope this opening goes into late September!  Bottom-bouncing for sockeye also doesn't teach you the importance of the first light bite, and the fortitude for those very chilly fall mornings!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 08:55:08 AM »

Intersting how the long leader, BB bashers go silent with the announcement of the upcoming sockeye season - must be busy looking for betties and tieing leaders. Don't forget your watermellon corkies boys. Oh, whatever will we do if we hook a Chinook with the long leader - will you release it? Hell no. Amazing how these things will be overlooked under the "feel good" umbrella called a harvest fishery. Suddenly long leaders and bb'ing will be okay even in the purist's eyes.

Well this will be a nice shot of income for the local vendors - we all know they could use this after the miserable past few years.

I didn't buy a salmon supplement tag/stamp year - still unsure if I want to or just buy locally caught fish. Either way - at least we'll have some Fraser Sockeye available this year and I'll be putting a few in the freezer.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »

Oh, whatever will we do if we hook a Chinook with the long leader - will you release it? Hell no. Amazing how these things will be overlooked under the "feel good" umbrella called a harvest fishery. Suddenly long leaders and bb'ing will be okay even in the purist's eyes.
I wouldn't assume Chinook retention is also going to be opened, at least not for several more weeks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »

Late last week and early this week PSC was making noises about sockeye survival and high river temperatures.  Recently we've seen openings in the chuck but not in the non-tidal sections of the river before so I wouldn't assume we'll see an opening above Mission in the next week or 2 either. A concern for low chinook returns & FN issues may be enough to hold that off for a few weeks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »

The river will be open it when they have a commercial opening in river. My guess is the river will be open next well or earlier.

241 in the cottonwood gilnet yesterday. Anything above 100 and they look at commercial openings.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »

So with the sure to come Sockeye opening, I would imagine all you long leader bashers won't actually be using long leaders, now will you?

Nah, it's much easier to visit my native friend and barter for some freshly netted sockeye with him. No gas expenses, no traffic, no sweat, no dealing with idiots on the bar.

Besides, flossing is snagging; sportsmen don't snag.  :-*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:32:54 AM by milo »

waterbearer

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »

I'm not so happy about the idea of thousands of people who usually don't fish buying bottom snagging gear for a few weeks of opening and then seeing them on the rivers in the fall, but I guess on the temporary bright side of things, there will be fewer people where I've been fishing lately once this news gets out :).

4 years ago i was a trout fisherman fishing the local stocked lakes until I got to fish for sockeye which open my eyes to coho and steelhead fishing taking trips the island with guides, bar fishing on the Fraser and other small rivers so i guess you can say it can be a gateway to the sport for some. x 2 if you ask my buddy.

avid angler

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »

Nah, it's much easier to visit my native friend and barter for some freshly netted sockeye with him. No gas expenses, no traffic, no sweat, no dealing with idiots on the bar.

Besides, flossing is snagging; sportsmen don't snag.  :-*

I have literally seen you bottom bouncing peg leg multiple times... Also purchasing salmon from a non commercial source when they haven’t had their own commercial opening is more illegal then bottom bouncing

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »

I have literally seen you bottom bouncing peg leg multiple times... Also purchasing salmon from a non commercial source when they haven’t had their own commercial opening is more illegal then bottom bouncing

Oh no, this bs is going to heat up quickly.  :o
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:49:58 PM by Rieber »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 09:48:46 PM »

Oh no, this bs is going to heat up quickly.  :o

No worries. Just practicing for opening day Rieber! Flossed one already!  ;D What's the limit on FWR?

BTW...did I mention "purchase"? Some people had better hone their reading skills before putting their foot in their mouths.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:51:30 PM by milo »

dobrolub

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »

don't the regs say no barter in the same paragraph?

Tylsie

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »

don't the regs say no barter in the same paragraph?

Come on now, no one barters for or buys fish from the natives; They just buy really expensive ice. The fish are just free gifts from one friend to another.

All kidding aside, I hope there is an opening for socks and everyone has good time. Everyone knows what it is, so go out and have some fun. Personally, I still have a few commercial friends and if there is an opening I will go buy off of them. With the recent storms up country some of the lakes are still doing ok plus I can get some scouting in.