Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170175 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »

went to scale yesterday with my 78 year old fishing buddy and found two 3ft piles of bolders blocking the path no way round so he barely made it over ,so if you have any walking problems take note. I don't know who did this but they are libel if someone gets hurt. is this crown or private land. fishing was quite slow.

Good grief. Even if he's super fit, you're just asking for trouble taking a 78 year old down to the Scale Bar - especially in this heat. No to mention the river current. Just my opinion and of course not all 78 year olds are physically equal. and of course he's fit if you even considered taking him there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »

went to scale yesterday with my 78 year old fishing buddy and found two 3ft piles of bolders blocking the path no way round so he barely made it over ,so if you have any walking problems take note. I don't know who did this but they are libel if someone gets hurt. is this crown or private land. fishing was quite slow.
Is that on the old railway grade?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »

they are both below the railway tracks  before the old road that is left of the path. he wanted to take a look not fish as he used to go for the last 20 yrs he fished 4 yrs ago but these rock piles were not there,these are sharp rocks not round.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2018, 07:08:22 PM »

they are both below the railway tracks  before the old road that is left of the path. he wanted to take a look not fish as he used to go for the last 20 yrs he fished 4 yrs ago but these rock piles were not there,these are sharp rocks not round.

Again these dang ATV created a need for yet another obstacle to keep them out - pedestrians be damned.

Well, 78 and he wanted to go there - I'm impressed.  :o

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »

that was the last time for him.

Aki

« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »

Today was better than yesterday; two on the beach in less than an hour and helped a 93 year old land his two...nice to see the enthusiasm at that age! Upper river between Chilliwack and Hope...Off tomorrow because of the commercial opening today...

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2018, 09:41:38 PM »

Went out for 2 hours with the wife in the evening  ::) . Only one in the boat and lost 4. We anchored in line with everyone else but noticed no fish getting caught and plenty of riders 60 feet out. Makes sense. It was deeper and probably cooler water. We pulled anchor and got closer. The guys up stream were pissed but when they saw me hooke 5 fish in 30min they moved out too.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:49 PM »

Why would they be pissed?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »

Why would they be pissed?

Because you are potentially putting your anchor line right at the end of their drift - effectively cutting off their drift.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »

Anchored since 6am. Fishing straight till now, not one fish. Nobody is landing anything within ear shot of me as well. I did see three risers early on but nothing on a line

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2018, 07:37:28 AM »

Anchored since 6am. Fishing straight till now, not one fish. Nobody is landing anything within ear shot of me as well. I did see three risers early on but nothing on a line
With the commercial opening below the Mission bridge, that is to be expected

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »

Yup.

Just giving folks a report incase they plan on heading out today.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2018, 08:34:07 AM »

Next you'll see that the Panel that meets tomorrow will have decided to immediately close the river due to not enough Sockeye salmon getting past Hope.  :'(

SilverChaser

« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »

Is that on the old railway grade?

Its where the two rock piles on the main path have always been. In recent years, the path just went thru the rock piles, but it seems like sometime in the last few years, somebody decided to stack rocks and make the trail inaccessible. Only option is to go over. A couple fit guys and an hour of work could easily clear out the trail.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »

I'd like to try this fishery for my first time. Coming from downtown Vancouver are there any bars worth trying below Mission? Or do you need to be at Chilliwack or higher? I don't mind the crowds