Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas  (Read 7663 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas
« on: July 01, 2018, 11:17:11 AM »

DFO is about to ram yet another series of closures for fishing through. Fin Fish Closures from Long Beach, South Bank, Big Bank, Rats Nose all the way to Swiftsure. This based upon both sketchy information, and in even larger areas, no information at all.

Time to tell DFO we won't sit idly by while they take the "don't confuse me with facts" approach and adopts "assumption based science" once again.

“B.C.’s tidal water recreational fishery, combined with the freshwater fishery, is the largest and most valuable in Canada, valued at $18 billion annually. DFO issues over 350,000 tidal licences per year collecting $7.3 million in fees and the fishery employs around 8,400 British Columbian’s (as of 2012).”

· Area SRKW Refuge Recreational Fin Fish Closures will cause significant socio-economic harm destroying jobs and economic spin off activities in small coastal communities like Ucluelet, Port Alberni, Bamfield, Port Renfrew, Sooke and Victoria.

· Killer whales are only very rarely present on LaPerouse Bank, and there is no documented evidence from passive acoustic monitoring to clearly demonstrate this is actually critical habitat. DFO science is making an assumption that because areas of LaPerouse Bank are important areas for commercial and recreational Chinook fishing that they area similarly important to killer whales.

· According to Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM), killer whales are only present on Swiftsure Bank 43% of monitored days between May to September – broad Area Refuge closures impact recreational fishing opportunity during significant periods where the whales are not present.

· There is no comparative analysis that demonstrates the effectiveness of Area Closure vs a mobile “bubble” strategy

· More effort is required to scientifically determine if indeed there is any less benefit to be achieved using a “bubble” strategy which is less impactful – striking a balance between protection and economic activity

External review of the critical habitat section of the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/sara-lep/killerwhales-epaulards/index-eng.html

Deadline for feedback is July 11.

Nog

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »

If this is about the noise and disturbance of fishing boats to killer whales - I don't see how this is really much of a problem.  I haven't fished the salt in years, but every time I have, if the whales come through, the bite turns off for a day and you need to find somewhere else to fish.  I like the mobile bubble idea - assuming it is what it sounds like - and assuming it can be successfully pulled off in real time. 

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 02:44:18 PM »

If this is about the noise and disturbance of fishing boats to killer whales - I don't see how this is really much of a problem.

No. It is about Total Fin Fish Closures (NO FISHING) running basically from Long Beach (near Tofino) right around the bottom of the Island towards the Fraser River. A long term dream Agenda from Parks Canada. They have sought DFO backing, and believe they now have a way to proceed to realize this. It will negatively & directly effect many many coastal communities. DFO's own biologists advise against area closures, and to instead employ the "bubble" type restrictions. Of course the whale watchers fought that tooth and nail. And the Political Masters at DFO now over-rule their own scientists in a desperate attempt to appear to be doing something... As their biologists note, such closures "will have no significant positive impact".

What would have the type of results desired (from the biologists) would be ramping hatcheries up, getting on with major habitat improvements, and reducing the overpopulated pinniped predators. DFO sees that as too expensive / controversial, so is seeking to impose do-nothing closures instead. Shameful.

Draconian at best!  :(

Nog

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »

No. It is about Total Fin Fish Closures (NO FISHING) running basically from Long Beach (near Tofino) right around the bottom of the Island towards the Fraser River. A long term dream Agenda from Parks Canada. They have sought DFO backing, and believe they now have a way to proceed to realize this. It will negatively & directly effect many many coastal communities. DFO's own biologists advise against area closures, and to instead employ the "bubble" type restrictions. Of course the whale watchers fought that tooth and nail. And the Political Masters at DFO now over-rule their own scientists in a desperate attempt to appear to be doing something... As their biologists note, such closures "will have no significant positive impact".

What would have the type of results desired (from the biologists) would be ramping hatcheries up, getting on with major habitat improvements, and reducing the overpopulated pinniped predators. DFO sees that as too expensive / controversial, so is seeking to impose do-nothing closures instead. Shameful.

Draconian at best!  :(

Nog
Yes, you are right, we need all of what you are saying more than closures.  From a bang for your buck perspective, it is hard to justify pouring money into hatchery production or habitat restoration when ocean survival has been so dismal, and the only thing that may help that is pinniped control.  Of course, nobody has mentioned the impact of the northern pods of killers whales that are thriving and are making a huge dent in the chinook populations - especially bigger and older fish.  What we really need is a substantial event that changes ocean conditions like a volcanic eruptions in Asia.  I have come to believe more and more that sport fishers need to align themselves with the First Nations and the Treaty Tribes (in Washington) to work toward common goals of seal/sea lion control, increased hatchery production, and habitat restoration.  Habitat restoration is crucial to increasing carrying capacity of rivers, and is often the biggest limiting factor in natural production. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »

the long term problem with low hatchery productivity is indicative ocean survival may be the major hurdle faced. In BC at least there are many streams with good habitat. It could be better for sure. Most of the available evidence is pinnepeds are mostly a local problem and seems to be worst for hatchery production. So if a lot of money is invested in that and it doesn't work or produces unexpected negative results - which the chances are it will since that is typical with predator culls, what then?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »

... what then?

What would you suggest then Ralph?
Sit idly by & do nothing?
Buy into these nonsensical closures?
What??

Wondering...
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »

the closures may be nonsensical but then so might predator culls. 

The pinnepids issue has become highly politicized. Those who have done this have developed an attitude within the sport fishing community that there is an either or choice available - if we can have a cull then we can fish as if nothing is different. This is likely a serious error. You can't have the cake and eat it too.Closures even the nonsensical ones are the most passive approach most likely to get desired results without unexpected negative paybacks.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:53:07 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:07:23 AM »

the closures may be nonsensical but then so might predator culls. 

Might?

The pinnepids issue has become highly politicized. Those who have done this have developed an attitude within the sport fishing community that there is an either or choice available - if we can have a cull then we can fish as if nothing is different. This is likely a serious error.

And with that I agree.
Predation is certainly not the sole limiting factor effecting chinook populations.
Were such a program to have the best effect, it would necessarily have to work in conjunction with sweeping habitat mitigation / enhancement projects, as well as other directed programs to give the chinook an immediate "boost" in population numbers.
Even then, I would strongly suggest that we would have to certainly limit our take of the chinook until such time as their populations become more robust.
This approach was what their own biologists suggested, while at the same time advising against area closures (which in their own words "would have little positive effect").

Closures even the nonsensical ones are the most passive approach most likely to get desired results without unexpected negative paybacks.

That is simply not what DFO Science recommends, and in fact is exactly what they recommended against Ralph.
And btw, while the closures may look "passive" to those on the outside, for those of us who live, work & play here, they are anything but.
I am strongly opposed to such disruptive mechanisms when their own science team suggests the overall result is unlikely to produce the desired results...

Can you imagine the West Coast of the Island being closed from Long Beach (Tofino) right down & around to the Fraser?
Parks has always wanted this, and with DFO support they can see a distinct possibility of achieving what they have previously not been able to do so (because local and public opinion disagreed with them). Again, this is not a conservation driven issue, it is purely Political.

Comment deadline July 11...

Cheers,
Nog

Fatso

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »

Hi Everybody, Long time no chat.  Hope you are all well.

In answer to this thread ...have you heard about Agenda 21?
It's the U.N. mandated blueprint on how North America is going to be managed.
Part of the management will involve using conservation and environmental concerns as reasons to dictate how natural resources will be managed.  That's what this whole deal is about. 

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »

If this goes ahead, does that mean no more fishing in tidal water from Tofino to Victoria area? What happen to all the folks who depend on this fishery for livelihood? Even all the hotels, lodges and restaurants will be in trouble. They better promote enough whale watching tourism to cover for that loss. Lol. Even there will be less ferry travels when fishermen shun the island. This is too big a problem for DFO to handle. This is not just fishing, but a political problem when people turn on the politicians for letting this blanket closure to happen.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

If this goes ahead, does that mean no more fishing in tidal water from Tofino to Victoria area?

Yes

What happen to all the folks who depend on this fishery for livelihood? Even all the hotels, lodges and restaurants will be in trouble.

They do not count. They are being considered "collateral damage" by the current government.
And Parks Canada gets their dream of presiding over one of the largest marine parks in the world.

This is too big a problem for DFO to handle. This is not just fishing, but a political problem when people turn on the politicians for letting this blanket closure to happen.

It is FAR beyond DFO's capabilities to address. So much so they are taking the easiest way out possible, and denying everything their own scientists are trying to tell them. And yes, there will be considerable backlash if this proceeds.
The Trudeau government obviously thinks the risk is minimal...

Sad Days...   :(

Deadline for comment July 11...

Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »

Can you imagine the West Coast of the Island being closed from Long Beach (Tofino) right down & around to the Fraser?
Parks has always wanted this, and with DFO support they can see a distinct possibility of achieving what they have previously not been able to do so (because local and public opinion disagreed with them). Again, this is not a conservation driven issue, it is purely Political.

Comment deadline July 11...

Cheers,
Nog

Can I imagine? Yes I can. I myself have been laid off or lost employment due to changes in economic conditions why is this different? Any one remember the East Coast cod collapse?

That Parks (I assume you mean Parks Canada) wants the closure to extend from the Pacific Rim Park to the mouth of the Fraser is about as credible as blaming it on the idiotic Agenda 21 Conspiracy theory.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:25:38 AM by RalphH »

avid angler

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »

Off topic but just wondering if anyone has ever agreed with Ralph on this forum ever, or even like the guy for that matter

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »

Off topic but just wondering if anyone has ever agreed with Ralph on this forum ever, or even like the guy for that matter

I strongly agree with most of what Ralph says even though I tend not to engage in political nonsense on internet forums. He makes his points far more eloquently and patiently than I could. Just because Ralph is the only one speaking out doesn't mean he's the only one who agrees with what he's saying 8)

yoda

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »

Yada yada yada, and then sanction the fn to have a demonstration fishery where they openly encourage them to sell the fish?
I give up!!!