Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas  (Read 7661 times)

sbc hris

Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »

I strongly agree with most of what Ralph says even though I tend not to engage in political nonsense on internet forums. He makes his points far more eloquently and patiently than I could. Just because Ralph is the only one speaking out doesn't mean he's the only one who agrees with what he's saying 8)
Agree

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 11:04:54 AM »

... That Parks (I assume you mean Parks Canada) wants the closure to extend from the Pacific Rim Park to the mouth of the Fraser is about as credible as blaming it on the idiotic Agenda 21 Conspiracy theory.

You must have missed entirely their previous two proposals wherein they suggested the establishment of a marine park from Long Beach down to Renfrew I guess.
Soundly defeated both times, and rightfully so IMHO.
With this latest initiative, they may actually realize success (finally) beyond their wildest dreams.

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »

From page 61 of the Killer Whale Recovery Strategy, designed in cooperation with DFO & Parks Canada:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/sara-lep/killerwhales-epaulards/docs/2018-killer-whales-epaulards-eng.pdf

For this post I won't bother (yet) pointing out the many discrepancies in said Strategy...

Area proposed for this closure (does not reflect inside closures already in place, nor ones proposed for the areas north of Vancouver Island).

Starting to get the picture??

Wondering...
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 10:42:57 AM »

This closure would devastate the coastal communities of Port Renfrew, Bamfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino and every recreational and commercial fisherman who earns their livelihood or enjoys their recreational pastime in what is considered one of the greatest accessible salmon and halibut fishing grounds in North America.

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/letters/fishery-closure-would-be-devastating-1.23358161

Yep...

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 01:34:34 PM »

If this goes ahead, does that mean no more fishing in tidal water from Tofino to Victoria area? What happen to all the folks who depend on this fishery for livelihood? Even all the hotels, lodges and restaurants will be in trouble. They better promote enough whale watching tourism to cover for that loss. Lol. Even there will be less ferry travels when fishermen shun the island. This is too big a problem for DFO to handle. This is not just fishing, but a political problem when people turn on the politicians for letting this blanket closure to happen.

simply, expected to go away, or if FN , buy a nature guiding licence from the Band .(Non FN need not apply) .It is expected that FN will manage the area in it's entirety. Or that is what we were told by an Elder when over in Tofino last week, whether it is bluster or not, it fits with http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/gwaii-haanas/index-eng.html ..

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:41:05 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has already forbidden fishing from June 1 to Sept. 30 between Otter Point in Sooke and Port Renfrew, as well as areas in the southern Gulf Islands, to assist southern resident killer whales. Also, the overall catch of chinook has been reduced 25 to 35 per cent.

First, ask the folks in Sooke and Renfrew just how their closures were implemented.   :o
EXACT same process as is being applied here.

Second, there is no way in hell those current closures will ever result in a "25 to 35 per cent" reduction in the recreational spring harvest.   ::)

Simply more smoke & mirrors from DFO...

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/island-towns-fearful-over-fishing-closures-1.23361351

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »

“Here is a chart illustrating a proposed fin fish closure by DFO. Please take a moment and respond on the link below with your feedback,” writes Hicks in his post (see below). “I have expressed my opinion that our Southern Vancouver Island Coastal Communities, recreational fishers and commercial fishers will be devastated. Never thought I would see this day!”

https://sooke.pocketnews.ca/director-hicks-calls-on-all-to-respond-to-a-fed-fishing-closure-call-for-feedback/

Nog

BCLAX

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »

Responded.

Thanks to IronNoggin for bringing this to the forums attention.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »

Deadline for comments is TOMORROW Folks!!!

Cheers,
Nog

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »

I was wondering when I would see that type of response. Good news that affected businesses are standing up together via chamber of commerce,  to let DFO know how devastating that closure will be. Take note SPORTSFISHERS, you want some success at bargaining tables then become “one “.  A UNION OF B.C. SPORTSFISHERMAN” is now needed,  we need to do this as soon as possible whatever way possible

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »

No kidding we need to stand up like a union to all the wrong & ridiculous decisions of DFO. I responded too, telling them they need to do culls on the over-populated seals and sea lions instead of the 'culls' on the fishing communities and families along the vast areas affected. I tell them we see more and more seals each year, not just in the ocean, but high up the Chilliwack Vedder, the Harrison, the Stave etc. I told them that in those tiny eco space in the rivers, salmon and steelhead don't stand a chance against the seals. Even when we go crabbing in an inlet like Deep Cove, our uncaged baits constantly got stolen by seals. They are everywhere, driven by hunger because of over-population in the ocean. DFO needs to eliminate the real source of the problem to save the whales. But you and I know they often target the 'helpless' sporties first, because we don't fight back. If they do culls on the seals, they have to face the challenge from the animal right groups which are more vocal and united than the fishermen. So perhaps that is why they put the knife on the 'defenseless' fishing communities first. If we have a union of sort, then there will be more bargaining power, and the politicians or head honchos will have to worry about the votes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:28:36 PM by Steelhawk »

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 06:41:47 PM »

Well said steelhawk

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »

Thank you Steelhawk!

Deadline for Comments is TODAY!!

Cheers & Thanks Folks!
Matt

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »

Need a motion in parliament to make 1 $ union fee on every fresh water licence sold to go to union fee,  then we elect a president who is well versed in B.C. fisheries issues,  pay him /her a salary and get a board of directors ,  raise money for a lawyer to fight this and other crucial attempts to destroy our heritage! Only way a united voice will ever be formed .  Was hoping BCWF would of solved this years ago and got this done yet we all are on some form of club/ website / group   Fractured and singular voiced

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »

There are a great many things that are much more harmful than anglers in this matter.
DFO knows that, but chooses time and time again to follow the path of least resistance, and fire on the low hanging fruit that it can influence without actually doing anything constructive nor positive. They have followed this pattern for so long now they do not know any other way it seems.

I'd like to offer a firm Thank You to those from here who took a few minutes out of their lives to provide help in the way of comment.

Your efforts are sincerely appreciated!!

This fight is far from over, simply Round One is winding down is all.
The negative effects of this proposal are both wide in scope, and completely unacceptable.
We will continue to fight this every inch of the way, and the groundswell of support for that pursuit is growing daily.
No one can predict if we will carry the day or not.
But we sure as hell are going to give it our best shot!

Again, Thanks Folks!!

Cheers,
Nog