Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hike in fishing lakes/rivers  (Read 11217 times)

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
Hike in fishing lakes/rivers
« on: May 29, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »

Me and some of my hiking buddies are having some trouble finding some lakes or rivers that are hike in and fishable. We want somewhere deeper in the forest so not many people are around, a nice fishable stream, river, or lake, and the furthest we would be able to go is around Merritt. We are A-okay bushwacking to the location and we are planning on going around the 16th of june. So if you have any suggestions I would appreciate them greatly! Thanks for taking the time!

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Hike in fishing lakes/rivers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »

Delay your trip by a couple of months and lots of alpine lakes are available:  Spruce Lake, Tenquille, Thunder Lake etc.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »

For a hike in river, I would suggest the 15 km Skagit River Trail, however the river is closed until July 1 and this year the freshet may make it unfishable early on.
www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/ecmanning/skagitrv.html

For hike in lakes, there are several in the Chilliwack River valley (Pierce, Radium, Lindeman, Greendrop, Flora, Ling) and Eaton Lake off the Silver Skagit Road. Some of the higher elevation lakes may still be snowed in June 16 so perhaps check in with Club Tread.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:25:13 PM by clarki »

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »

There are no fish in Radium Lake.....I'd hate to see someone hike all the way up there with their fishing gear and realize there aren't any fish.

Pierce is good, but you better be in great shape. Flora is good too....need to be in really great shape, and also need a very full day or expect to camp. Lindeman can be ok at times.....and Greendrop can be really good sometimes....
Hanging Lake is probably the most beautiful alpine lake you'll ever fish....and I don't mind mentioning it, because I know that 99.999% of the people reading this will never attempt it ...never mind attempting it with fishing gear.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:06:58 PM »

+1 for the skagit from Sumallo grove. Would need 2 vehicles or a ride back unless you wanted to hike back out the way you came.

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:09:30 PM »

If you have access to a canoe then Widgeon lake is a great option as well. I've only done it later in the summer so I'm not sure of the snow levels in June. It's at least up there with Flora lake in terms of fitness level needed though.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »

Carrying a canoe to Widgeon Lake??

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 11:34:42 PM »

We're planning to do an overnight at any location we go. But I love the suggestions! Thanks, and keep em coming!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 07:10:42 AM »

Carrying a canoe to Widgeon Lake??

No,for those that dont have access to a helicopter they would canoe across Grant Narrows and then up Widgeon Creek and then park the canoes and hike in the rest of the way to the lake.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »

Ah I see... I'll stick to my helicopter then.

sbc hris

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »

Hanging Lake is probably the most beautiful alpine lake you'll ever fish....and I don't mind mentioning it, because I know that 99.999% of the people reading this will never attempt it ...never mind attempting it with fishing gear.

I wouldn’t be so sure  ;)

Shinny

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »

I wouldn’t be so sure  ;)

Good luck with the  brush bowl. Progress isn’t measured in how kilometers per hour your travel but how many hours per kilometer.  :o

The Widgeon lake hike isn’t for the faint of heart either, the first part is no problem but the last push straight up the mountain to Widgeon lake is absolutely gruelling to say the least.

Robert_G

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »

Good luck with the  brush bowl. Progress isn’t measured in how kilometers per hour your travel but how many hours per kilometer.  :o

Brush bowl is an understatement.....not to mention having to cross the Upper Chillliwack with no bridge....and in high icecold water....on top of that good luck finding where to cross as finding the trail on the other side is a nightmare by itself....which means if you cross the wrong spot, you'll be bushwhacking with wet clothes to find the trail.....and after that you get to hike straight up for a couple hours....then you get to enjoy the 'Brush Bowl'.

Shinny

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »

Brush bowl is an understatement.....not to mention having to cross the Upper Chillliwack with no bridge....and in high icecold water....on top of that good luck finding where to cross as finding the trail on the other side is a nightmare by itself....which means if you cross the wrong spot, you'll be bushwhacking with wet clothes to find the trail.....and after that you get to hike straight up for a couple hours....then you get to enjoy the 'Brush Bowl'.

Shhhhhh... Your making it sound too appealing.

sbc hris

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 11:06:20 PM »

Sounds like my kind of party  8)