Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hike in fishing lakes/rivers  (Read 11231 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Hike in fishing lakes/rivers
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »

Brush bowl is an understatement.....not to mention having to cross the Upper Chillliwack with no bridge....and in high icecold water....on top of that good luck finding where to cross as finding the trail on the other side is a nightmare by itself....which means if you cross the wrong spot, you'll be bushwhacking with wet clothes to find the trail.....and after that you get to hike straight up for a couple hours....then you get to enjoy the 'Brush Bowl'.

You’re trying to make it sound really tough, but honestly you’re making it more appealing to the adventurous types.

Shinny

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 12:22:47 PM »

You’re trying to make it sound really tough, but honestly you’re making it more appealing to the adventurous types.

Enough talk Ferdinand Magellan

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »

Many of the low elevation hike in  lakes and rivers are a problem to fish when you get there due to brush etc whereas some of the alpine lakes are real gems where you can walk the shore. The fish are typically small but the scenery makes it an adventure.

Don't plan on alpine lakes too early in the season.  I have several times had to turn back in early July because a meltwater stream was just too big to cross.

I recall a story by some hikers about going too early to Widgeon Lake.  On the way up they passed a couple of fisherman lugging float tubes.  It would be a brutal climb with that much gear.  At the top you can sit right above the last steep pitch of the trail and view the lake.  While the hikers were relaxing the fishermen showed up below them, grunting up the last steep section.  They called down to that the good news was the fishermen were almost there, the bad news was that the lake was still frozen.  Going too early after a cold winter, you may find the higher lakes frozen into July.

For later in the season Mamquam Lake near Squamish and Ladyslipper in Cathedral Lakes Park are worth the trip.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:36:26 AM by VAGAbond »

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »

Many of the low elevation hike in  lakes and rivers are a problem to fish when you get there due to brush etc whereas some of the alpine lakes are real gems where you can walk the shore. The fish are typically small but the scenery makes it an adventure.

Don't plan on alpine lakes too early in the season.  I have several times had to turn back in early July because a meltwater stream was just too big to cross.

I recall a story by some hikers about going too early to Widgeon Lake.  On the way up they passed a couple of fisherman lugging float tubes.  It would be a brutal climb with that much gear.  At the top you can sit right above the last steep pitch of the trail and view the lake.  While the hikers were relaxing the fishermen showed up below them, grunting up the last steep section.  They called down to that the good news was the fishermen were almost there, the bad news was that the lake was still frozen.  Going too early after a cold winter, you may find the higher lakes frozen into July.

For later in the season Mamquam Lake near Squamish and Ladyslipper in Cathedral Lakes Park are worth the trip.

Thanks! Good to know, I think we'll definitely go to Mamquam Lake later in the season, how are the fish there? Also do you know any good river camping spots during the salmon run? Thanks again!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »

Been there, down that. Although it wasn't Widgeon thankfully.

When I was relatively new to the province and didn't understand snowpacks and higher elevations at all, a buddy and I did a hike/fish to Eaton (Crescent) Lake.

It was late May and there had been a real hot spell the past week, so I naively thought the snow would be gone and the lake would be fishable. It was fishable...if you had a shovel and an auger. :)

After a chilly night of unintended snow camping, we hiked down the next day.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »

I think we'll definitely go to Mamquam Lake later in the season, how are the fish there?

Many years ago Mamquam Lake was legendary for it's good fish.  First time I was there I couldn't find fish initially and eventually found them holding in holes scattered around the shallows at the south end.  Fat 15" fish.   The last time I was there, already some years ago, the lake seemed to be overstocked with tiny fish.   Alpine lakes with good spawning and poor food tend to progress in the direction of starving populations of numerous miniature fish but you never know.   Three times I have gone to alpine lakes known for small fish and found good fishing for quite respectable fish.  I never  found out why that happened.  Had there been a winter kill that only left a small population to feast on the available food or was there always good fish in the lake and the particular conditions prompted them to make an appearance?

Mamquam is best accessed via the Diamond Head trails.   It is 15 miles to the lake and it is a three day trip.  You can go all the way in in one day, camp at the lake and fish a day and come out the third day.   Advantage is you get an evening at the lake.   Disadvantage is you have to carry all your gear all the way.   The other approach is to camp at the Diamond Head campsite half way and day trip into the lake.  You don't get the evening at the lake but you can leave your heavy gear at your camp.

Beyond Diamond Head there are two streams to cross.  The first is Ring Creek, a brawling silt laden ugly stream.   Parks put a bridge across but winters have taken it out in the past.  I suggest checking the status with Parks.   I have waded Ring Creek several times but it is a dicey process when the water is high.  Beyond Ring Creek you pass the foot of the glacier and there is a 100 yard broad stream of meltwater coming out from under the glacier.   On a cool morning you can usually step from rock to rock and get across dry.  Coming back on a hot afternoon the water is usually up so you have to wade so use boots that can tolerate being wet.  Nicely padded modern hiking boots can go sour if you get them really wet.

Take bug spray.   They can be a problem at the lake.

Some other possibilities are:    People bushwhack into the south end of Garibaldi Lake from somewhere on Brohm Ridge.   I have never done it so can't provide information but there seems to be a known route.     Deeks Lake near Britannia Beach has some fish and a challenging trail.  Access around the lake is not great but there are two smaller lakes beyond Deeks that also have fish and better lakeside access.   Norton Lake at the head of Indian Arm used to be reached via the road from Squamish.  I have never been there.  Last I heard that road was closed to vehicles but you should still be able to walk it.

Also do you know any good river camping spots during the salmon run?
  Wish I did.

Good luck and be careful, there are lots of ways to get into trouble in our mountains.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:50:51 AM by VAGAbond »

Shinny

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 09:13:47 AM »

Only thing I can add to the comment above is that ring creek now has a legitimate metal bridge across it and is secure and good. I’m sure the run off was huge this year, hope the bridge survived.

I have been to Mamquam lake, Opal Cone and The gargoyles. They are all in the same are. I have always started at the Elfin Lakes hike. I would ride my mountain bike all the way up to Elfin lakes with a backpack of gear. Lock my bike to the ranger hut and continue on foot to my destination. It’s definitely a long day and not everyone has the legs to pedal a bike up to the Elfin lakes hut. Total distance to get from the parking lot to Elfin is 11kms (8kms up then 3 down to the lake) the bike ride back to your truck at the end of the day is nice (3km up and 8kms down)

Can’t comment on the fishing at Mamquam , never brought the gear. When your at Mamquam It feels like your on another planet or the moon though. The vegetation and landscape is unique because of the glacier erosion.

Opal cone is pretty cool for someone wanting to see a glacier . We went there on a super hot day. Had lunch and passed out for an hour. You can hear the glacier cracking and creeking in the sun.

Parking lot to Elfin then to Mamquam return is probably close to 38kms. The opal cone more like 33kms return. Good luck. It’s a beautiful area. Outdoor wilderness camps frequently stay at Mamquam lake, the camping is pretty decent.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »

A heads up regarding Mamquam, there is no camping allowed at the lake anymore.  You can camp at Rampart ponds which are located high above the lake and about 20-60 minutes away depending on whether you are going up or down.

It's also possible as a daytrip with a couple hours fishing at the lake depending on fitness level.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 12:15:57 PM »

We did Mamquam last year. The fishing was okay for the first 20 minutes as 3 14 inchers were hooked right away. After that it was dead, with only very small fish. One in our party hooked a large fish on a dry fly that looked to be in spawning colours. It came off before we could get a close look. I belly-boated to the small island, got out and casted into the surrounding lake; probably the most memorable location I've ever fished. I had one hard tug that I did not get a look at.

That fish will haunt me, and it is unlikely I'll get back out to that spot (don't think I'd hike a tube in again). It is a long hike, but as pretty a lake as you will find. Frustrating that you are not allowed to camp at the lake, but totally understandable given the pristine vegetation and terrain.

Animal Chin

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »

It's can be kinda busy, and you'll be sharing the trail with others, but Joffre Lakes has some decent fish last time I was out there. Most are small but I did manage a couple 14-15" cutthroat.

You'll have to camp at the 3rd Lake and take a very short hike down to fish the 2nd (largest) lake where I believe all if not most of the fish are located. It's busy with day hikers but accessible, easy to find and hassle free logistically.

Deek Lake is one end of the Howe Sound Crest Trail (still to do it) that starts at Cypress Mountain Ski. From the Deek Lake end it's a steep 3.5 hr hike. When I was there last there were some really pretty cutthroat (smallish but not super tiny) that were willing biters. I wasn't aware there were 2 other lakes nearby with fish.

I'm close to sourcing a decent (hopefully) external backpack and going to try and hoof my tube up there. So if you see a dude with red Creek company tube and a Jets cap, say hi ... or don't.. I understand.

Good thread. Keep 'er coming. Just my opinion, but the beauty of backcountry camping, leave alone fishing, is that it's a lot of work so it naturally weeds out a lot of people who aren't on the same wavelength.

Been meaning to check out Ladyslipper for some time now.. can you camp right on the lake? or is it a dayhike from one of the campsites in the core area?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:05:11 PM by Animal Chin »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 04:53:20 PM »

Been meaning to check out Ladyslipper for some time now.. can you camp right on the lake? or is it a dayhike from one of the campsites in the core area?

It has been a while since I was there but I believe the core area camping is at Quiniscoe Lake.

Ladyslipper is such a spectacular place to fish.  I have fished there three times, all about Labour Day.  First time it was cold and wet and I did not see a sign of a fish.   The second time it was calm and I saw fish cruising just under the surface but they were mostly far out and wary.   The third time it was a beautiful sunny day and the fish behaved just like you expect late summer alpine lake fish to behave, hungry.

It you are strong and want an adventure, hike over to Haystack Lakes.   The fish I found are tiny but the hike is incredible.  The route goes right over the top of The Boxcar Mountain at 8500 ft.  Over and back from Quiniscoe took 14 hours of walking and I don't think I ever had the strength to carry a full pack of camping gear all day at that altitude so camping over there was not on.   Fishing was restricted to just few minutes due to the need to get back before dark.  Mountain sheep, goats and mule deer on those slopes.

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »

Good thread. Keep 'er coming. Just my opinion, but the beauty of backcountry camping, leave alone fishing, is that it's a lot of work so it naturally weeds out a lot of people who aren't on the same wavelength.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at how many replies I got as I couldn't find much on Google. And that's why I love going backcountry camping/hiking, because you either don't run into people, or when you do it's almost always a great experience.

Animal Chin

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »

It you are strong and want an adventure, hike over to Haystack Lakes.   The fish I found are tiny but the hike is incredible.  The route goes right over the top of The Boxcar Mountain at 8500 ft.  Over and back from Quiniscoe took 14 hours of walking and I don't think I ever had the strength to carry a full pack of camping gear all day at that altitude so camping over there was not on.   Fishing was restricted to just few minutes due to the need to get back before dark.  Mountain sheep, goats and mule deer on those slopes.

Was the scenery kind of like the photo's in this trip report of the Enchantments in WA. It's sort of in the same area, but camping up in this North Cascade area requires a lottery permit done every February. I've always been curious to see if Cathedral was similiar to the Enchantments.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/22895/

I've never carried 35+ lbs, but figure i'm not getting any younger or un-lazier, so better do it soon. And it was the original reason i bought a float tube in the first place. I've never used an external frame pack, but theoretically it should make it very manageable.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at how many replies I got as I couldn't find much on Google. And that's why I love going backcountry camping/hiking, because you either don't run into people, or when you do it's almost always a great experience.

I agree with that. Re-read your original post. Any of the lakes along the sea to sky should be fishable by June 16th. If you want something super easy logistically, and never done it, you can always go to Garibaldi Lake and camp up there and just day hike the area. Not sure if the trail continues on to Mamquam Lake (think it goes to Elfin.. not sure if there are fish in Elfin though). You may wanna bring some sort of bug deterrent, not sure about that area specifically (it's bitey at dusk and dawn most of the year, but spring can be over the top), but I did a hike at Golden Ears one year and the snowmelt mosquitoes were something else.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:21:27 PM by Animal Chin »

sbc hris

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »

Was the scenery kind of like the photo's in this trip report of the Enchantments in WA. It's sort of in the same area, but camping up in this North Cascade area requires a lottery permit done every February. I've always been curious to see if Cathedral was similiar to the Enchantments.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/22895/

I've never carried 35+ lbs, but figure i'm not getting any younger or un-lazier, so better do it soon. And it was the original reason i bought a float tube in the first place. I've never used an external frame pack, but theoretically it should make it very manageable.

I agree with that. Re-read your original post. Any of the lakes along the sea to sky should be fishable by June 16th. If you want something super easy logistically, and never done it, you can always go to Garibaldi Lake and camp up there and just day hike the area. Not sure if the trail continues on to Mamquam Lake (think it goes to Elfin.. not sure if there are fish in Elfin though). You may wanna bring some sort of bug deterrent, not sure about that area specifically (it's bitey at dusk and dawn most of the year, but spring can be over the top), but I did a hike at Golden Ears one year and the snowmelt mosquitoes were something else.

I just use an internal frame for packing my tube. It folds up pretty small if you’re determined. I can get my tube, waders, fins, and 4-5 days worth of camping gear into a 55 L internal frame pack. Just have to be determined and creative  ;D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »

Great thread guys. Keep it coming. The only hiking I have ever done is on rivers. I have not hiked up any mountains and am too old to start now. Enjoy reading about it. Thanx for sharing.