Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 steelhead counts in Chilliwack River  (Read 22157 times)

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 steelhead counts in Chilliwack River
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »

Thanks again Dave and Peter for another year of counts and reports.

Interesting as always to hear your weekly updates and observations and how they compare to previous years.

sbc hris

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »

I would also like to say thank you. I’m sure I speak for many when I say that I appreciate the work that you guys do, and that you take the time to share the results with us.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »

Many thanks to wildmanyeah for graphing this data. Although it's sparse, the trend is obvious... early run Chilliwack River steelhead are declining.  We would appreciate the thoughts of anglers as to what we can do to stop this.

avid angler

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »

April closure above Allison pools.  Improved fish handling by sports fisherman. No wild fish out of the water like in Washington

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2018, 09:42:12 PM »

April closure above Allison pools.  Improved fish handling by sports fisherman. No wild fish out of the water like in Washington
If these are early fish we are talking about protecting, isn't April too late for this closure?

avid angler

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »

No, these fish spawn in April/may so it will give these fish access to all the spawning habitat in this section of river without harassment

Old Blue

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »

Why not C+R,Fly only starting April 1st from the Crossing up.  Shut down the entire river May 1st.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »

Why not C+R,Fly only starting April 1st from the Crossing up.  Shut down the entire river May 1st.

T-50 for the Alison pool?  ;)  In  reality, a fly only regulation would probably have a better chance than a straight closure, imo.  Some form of closure for this area really does seem like winner for the fish, but the problem to the Province might be a few more hatchery fish may spawn.  And, I would be surprised if this initiative would be supported by the local tackle shops and guides. 

avid angler

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2018, 03:15:47 AM »

Because this is about protecting fish in their preferred spawning areas from harassment. Not catering to one user group. Crowds in April are minimal on the vedder. The fly fisherman have plenty of room to fish wherever they want.

stsfisher

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »

So if there is an eventual closure as suggested above Tamihi in April, how long will it be before we are asking to have the river closed below Tamihi and above the crossing during the same period?

Yes many early fish can be found in April in this area, but for the most part the ethical steelheaders have learned these are not the fish we need to be targeting and find fish elsewhere. Personally I have not fished above Tamihi in April for more that 10 years as I know the fish I encounter will more than likely not be the prime fish most Steelhead fishers enjoy catching. Not to say you will not find prime fish, but in my experience the ratio WAS very lopsided.

Now if this proposed closure takes place, will it put more fish on those counted grounds? I think it would help, but I can't help to think these areas are already closed and should present the same opportunity now as they did before. Maybe the problem is the unregulated harassment and angling in these closed areas?
Maybe more enforcement of the current regs are required and not more restrictions that will eventually restrict the responsible anglers entirely off the river.

avid angler

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »

If this closure took place you would honestly see less in those counted grounds. The fish would stop moving and stage where they want instead of where there forced to by angling pressure.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »

If this closure took place you would honestly see less in those counted grounds. The fish would stop moving and stage where they want instead of where there forced to by angling pressure.
I agree, more staging in the deeper pools would happen, but these fish would spawn eventually, somewhere.  I can't see why they wouldn't move upstream when sexually mature.

avid angler

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »

I agree, more staging in the deeper pools would happen, but these fish would spawn eventually, somewhere.  I can't see why they wouldn't move upstream when sexually mature.
Not sure I agree with this. Up until pressure exploded even 5 as little as 5 years ago I used to see lots of spawning fish particularly in the section from Allison to Borden. Once it got to the point where every good piece of water got pounded on all day long the fish stopped hanging around.

John Revolver

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2018, 04:19:18 PM »

wow. the data does not lie. Kudos for such detailed observations.

this is horrifying .