Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 steelhead counts in Chilliwack River  (Read 22400 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 steelhead counts in Chilliwack River
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »

In Bob Hooton’s new book, Days of Rivers Past, he talks about the decline of Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island early run steelhead.  He attributes this to poor logging and mining practices, habitat loss, and estuarine developments.  He also mentions angler harvest as being a major factor in declining early run stocks.

Back in the 50’s and 60’s most steelheading was done from late November to January.  After that they had a full freezer or went back to work. Angler effort and catch limits were high and C&R was not yet being practiced.  Indeed, he mentions one angler fishing the Capilano in either the late 40’s or early 50’s who caught 167.  In 15 years this same angler never caught less than 75. 

I started fishing the C-V in the 60’s and remember many anglers killing their limit of 40 fish every year.  These harvest rates, claims Hooton, were unsustainable but catch rates continued to be high even into the 90’s because ocean survivals were at the time >12%.  I totally agree with Bob’s assessment of this.

Now the upper Chilliwack has far fewer spawners, and the progeny of these fish are facing an ocean that is delivering, at best guess, 1-2% survival rates.  Steelhead spawning areas (good ones that is) is very limited, and I wonder at times if fish can even find it.   Centennial Channel is a good example of this.

Factor into this equation the mining of app. 80 survivors (fish I believe to be comprised of mainly early run stock that would spawn in the upper river) every year to sustain a hatchery program and you begin to see why I am somewhat pessimistic about their future.

I hope next week's count and next year’s float counts prove me wrong.

avid angler

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2018, 08:40:02 PM »

I think nearly all C-V steelhead will be spawning about now or in the next few weeks, and I know of a few kelts caught recently. It’s my experience the bright fish caught this time of the year are nearly always gravid and very close to spawning.

Sorry, but I disagree with this, there is always new arriving fish in April that are clear finned dime bright new arrivals that aren’t even close to spawning. Obviously I’m sure these late run fish mature faster then the early stock but there’s not a chance there any less then several weeks away from spawning. This includes a handful of hatcheries that I retained with very tight skeins and small eggs. The late stock was actually really strong this year compared to years past which is better then the return not materializing at all. Also I’ve been meaning to ask do you guys wear polarized glasses when your looking for these fish?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »

True enough, there are always outlyers. I can recall catching hard fish in May but that was the exception.  And for sure steelhead spawn into June.  But I think you have hit upon something I am starting to believe; run timing is later than say, 40 years ago.  There was always a lull in fishing around February where as now that seems to be the prime month.
I would love to know where these late run fish spawn.
We wear polaroids when the conditions warrant them.  Sometimes at Centennial Channel they are a hindrance but a bonus at Chilliwack Lake - all depends on the sun angle and shadows.

avid angler

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 09:23:07 PM »

You guys should have a pair of dark lense and a pair of amber lense. There is a lense shade for every condition and always better then the naked eye. It’s impossible to tell where the late fish spawn/stage although imo it is below Osborne. The majority of them don’t seem push through as fast as the early stock.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »

True enough, there are always outlyers. I can recall catching hard fish in May but that was the exception. 
I agree with this observation. The reason I don't retain any April hatchery fish. Haven't done so iin many yrs now. I agree with with AA on the late run this yr. April was fantastic this season for fresh chrome steelhead numbers with limited angler pressure. At least in the areas I like to fish. I often found myself all alone on runs catching fish. On the other hand the early run this season sucked in my opinion.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »

I agree with this observation. The reason I don't retain any April hatchery fish. Haven't done so iin many yrs now. I agree with with AA on the late run this yr. April was fantastic this season for fresh chrome steelhead numbers with limited angler pressure. At least in the areas I like to fish. I often found myself all alone on runs catching fish. On the other hand the early run this season sucked in my opinion.
I hope people understand it's primarily the early fish we are counting.

buck

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »

As Dave was unavailable for our 4th trip to count steelhead, I took on the task which started at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake. I was not very optimistic after no fish were observed spawning or staging in the deep water below the foot bridge last week. Visibility was excellent and the water temperature was 6.7 C. To my surprise there was a pair of fish spawning on the new gravel pad just upstream of the foot bridge. Both fish were in excellent condition and looked to be in the 12 lb range.

I was then off to Centennial Channel were I observed 6 more fish actively spawning in the upper 3rd of the the 3 kilometre channel. It’s interesting to note that most of the fish Dave and I have observed over the last 8 years seem to prefer the upper section of the channel. It appears these fish like to spawn in 12-18 inches of moderately fast water, just upstream of a riffle. We can almost pick out by observing flow, depth and riffle gradient as to whether steelhead will be present.  The only problem is the lack of fish. 

Next stop was 3rd bridge.  Visibility again was excellent but only 1 fish was observed holding in the deep water. No fish were on the spawning pad.

Last stop was the Chilliwack Hatchery, but once again there were no fish holding. Most years there are between 30-100 fish spawning just below the visitors foot bridge.

avid angler

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »

Buck have you noticed since the limit hole closure that less steelhead are entering the hatchery because there able to hold in limit hole unharrassed. Just a personal observation of mine.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »

Glad there are a few fish around after all.  Perhaps they are just later than normal this year?  Also, are the fish that you have observed spawning below the hatchery generally clipped fish?

buck

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »

Avid Angler/CohoJake

I’m sure that at least some fish would be holding and then spawning at that site. Next year there is money available for float counts so we can confirm your observation. I also have a gut feeling that some of the wild fish are putting the brakes on when they come in contact with hatchery fish in and around the hatchery. Box Canyon used to be a holding and staging area for steelhead but the last couple of years we have not observed a single fish. About 10 years ago during one of the last float counts a few fish were observed above the hatchery but 80 fish were counted in 3 holes adjacent to the facility.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »

Thanks Pete.  I will compare your numbers today with previous years and post it next week after our count.   Good to hear Centennial had a few.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »

Buck, Emmathedog, and I made our 6th trip into the upper river this morning, but first some additional numbers from past years to add to buck’s report last week.  Last week Chilliwack Lake had 2 fish … in 2012 on the approximate date we saw 14; in 2013 -35; in 2014 -14; in 2015 -16; in 2016 -12; in 2017 – 9

Last week at Centennial buck saw 6.  In 2011 we saw 20; in 2012 -9; in 2013 -9; in 2014 -13; in 2015 -4; in 2016 -1; in 2017 -12.

Last week at the third bridge buck saw 1.  In 2013 we saw 18; in 2014 – 2; in 2015 -4; in 2016 -1; in 2017 -3

Today’s report is  … Chilliwack Lake was very high making poor  viewing conditions so no counts were recorded.  Water temperature was 10°C.  In previous years on this approximate date … 2012 -14; in 2013 – 35; in 2014 -14; in 2015 -16; in 2016 -12; in 2017 -9.

On to Centennial where we saw 5 steelhead and one trout, with at least 2 of the steelhead being female. Fish seemed smaller than usual and were very skittish.  In 2011 we saw 32; in 2012 -7; in 2013 -18; in 2014 -4; in 2015 – 2; in 2016 -1; in 2017 -8 ( 2 were females).  Water temperature was 9° C

The water was too high and turbid for counts at the third bridge but in previous years … in 2011 – 3; in 2012 – 5; in 2013 -0; 2014  was high and turbid; in 2015 -4; in 2016 -0; in 2017 -2

As usual we stopped at the hatchery, where no fish were seen.
At one point I was fairly proficient at graphing data but that was then ;D  If anyone out there would like to graph and post our data pm me your email address and when we have finished for the year I will forward the spreadsheet.  It is only a small data set but it might make all the numbers more meaningful.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2018, 09:34:47 AM »

Buck was unable to make today’s count so Emmathedog and I made our 7th trip into the upper river this morning.  Due to freshet conditions we did not go to Chilliwack Lake so started at Centennial Channel.  As I anticipated lots of campers getting ready for the long weekend I wanted to walk the channel before people disturbed the fish so we got an early start.  As expected there were people set up in about any wide spot in the road, and of course at the channel.  Most appeared to be respectful of the environment but as usual there were a few groups that had garbage strewn about but the worst was the cutting of trees and falling them in the channel.  Conditions for seeing fish were excellent – such is the value of a controlled flow system.  None were observed but 3 areas had recent gravel disturbances indicating recent spawning activity.  On this approximate date in 2011 we saw 19; in 2012 – 4; in 2013 – 18; in 2014, 2015 and 2016 it was not counted; in 2017 – 4.

Final stop as usual was at the hatchery where again no fish were seen.  We will do at least one more count this season so stay tuned for next week.  We are still looking for a volunteer to graph our data; pm me your email address if you are interested.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »

Thanx for the report. Disturbing to hear trees being cut down into the channel. I'm guessing after the long weekend is over the camping spots along the river is going to look like a war zone.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »

Buck, Emmathedog and I made our 8th and last trip into the upper river this morning and as expected, we saw nothing.  Chilliwack Lake and the Middle Creek bridge site were too high for counts, but Centennial Channel was perfect for observations … only thing missing was fish.  What was present however was garbage and environmental damage from last weekend’s campers. More trees dropped into the channel, diapers and human waste, and at least 60 beer cans that we picked up.  Time to put another locked gate at the entrance to keep the scum bags out.  On previous dates: in 2012 we saw 7; in 2014 – 1; in 2017 -5.  Water temperature was 10° C at Centennial and 11° C at Chilliwack Lake.

Last stop was the hatchery, where again, no fish were seen.  This is the first time in about 30 years buck has not seen hatchery fish in the entrance channel.

A forum member has volunteered to graph our data which should illustrate our concerns for the future of these early run fish.