Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 steelhead counts in Chilliwack River  (Read 22375 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
2018 steelhead counts in Chilliwack River
« on: April 05, 2018, 06:04:30 PM »

This morning buck, Emmathedog, and I made our first trip to the upper Chilliwack River to count steelhead.  This is the 8th consecutive year we have done this and, as usual we start with saying this is not a population estimate; we simply count fish we see at 3 different sites, at the approximate same date each year.  In doing so we establish spawning times and behaviors and, possible trends.  Some comments are usually included.

We lucked out as the rain stopped when we reached Chilliwack Lake.  Gate locked and about a foot of snow greeted us but it was well packed so walking to the lake outlet was easy, especially for our 3rd crew member. The water level at the lake spawning area was the lowest we have seen but there is still plenty of gravel for fish to spawn on now, and way more when the lake level raises.  Water conditions for observations were acceptable and we saw none. On the approximate same date in 2015 we saw 2; in 2016 we saw 7. No counts in other years were made at this app. date.
Centennial Channel was next and here we saw the usual vandalism we see every year – trees chopped down across the channel, garbage left, beer tins, etc.    DFO has left the gate valve to the channel open so there is as much water in the channel as we have seen – all for the good, in our opinion.   No fish were seen today, and no fish were seen in other years on this app. date.

Last stop was the Middle Creek bridge pool and spawning pad. Visibility was limited and none were observed.  The only other app. dates for comparisons were in 2015, when we saw 5, and 3 in 2016.  While looking for fish from the bridge we watched a float drift down … still attached to a rod and an angler.  This dude was hidden under the bridge so he was not visible from the road, and when confronted claimed he did not know the area was closed.  Right. His gear was high end .. this guy knew where he was.  He left right away.

On returning we stopped at the hatchery where staff were spawning steelhead.  The manager thought 40 females and a few less males were captured for brood.  Interestingly, the hatchery staff were unable to capture many fish this season, suggesting there were not many to be found in the first good holding water in the closed area.

Much more in the next 6-7 weeks.

firebird

Re: 2018 steelhead counts in Chilliwack River
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »

Thanks for continuing this Dave, Buck and Emma. Water temps? Probably a bit colder than previous years is my guess. Not good hearing about the guy fishing under the bridge - he probably wasn't there for catch and release either.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »

I knew you would bring water temperatures up ;)  Will take temps from now on.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »

I knew you would bring water temperatures up ;)  Will take temps from now on.

At Least he didn't tell you to make sure u calibrate it in boiling water first.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »

This morning buck, Emmathedog, and I made our first trip to the upper Chilliwack River to count steelhead.  This is the 8th consecutive year we have done this and, as usual we start with saying this is not a population estimate; we simply count fish we see at 3 different sites, at the approximate same date each year.  In doing so we establish spawning times and behaviors and, possible trends. Some comments are usually included.

I would expect, or want, nothing less!  :)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »

Should of taken a pic of the angler fishing in the closed area and if identified have gotten DFO to charge the poacher. Thanx for sharing.

avid angler

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 08:05:13 AM »

I have actually heard rumour of a few well known guys within the angling/guiding community fishing up there. Could you give a description of what he looked like? What gear he had, what he was using etc.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »

30 ish, was with another person driving a newer white pick up, quality green center pin reel, high end rod.  Guy knew how to fish ... perhaps buck can add to the description.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »

I have actually heard rumour of a few well known guys within the angling/guiding community fishing up there. Could you give a description of what he looked like? What gear he had, what he was using etc.
Yup. Would not doubt it. So sad. The area is closed for a reason.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »

30 ish, was with another person driving a newer white pick up, quality green center pin reel, high end rod.  Guy knew how to fish ... perhaps buck can add to the description.
Did you get his plate numbers?

avid angler

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »

Dave if you provide me your email address I can send you a photo of one of the individuals rumoured to be fishing up there. I don’t want to put it here because as of right now it is just a rumour. Maybe it’s one of the guys you saw.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »

Dave if you provide me your email address I can send you a photo of one of the individuals rumoured to be fishing up there. I don’t want to put it here because as of right now it is just a rumour. Maybe it’s one of the guys you saw.
Good stuff.  It's Davidpbarnes1@gmail.com

Jk47

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »

I happen to know of someone who fishes a green pin and also owns a newer model white pick up... I wonder if I, too would be privy to this mugshot for a possible ID? rubber.down@hotmail.com

avid angler

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:22:05 PM »

I sent an email to Dave. I’m not about to start sending pics of people because you know someone with a centerpin and a truck ::) I just want to know if the person I heards been up there is the same person that was spotted

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »

I sent an email to Dave. I’m not about to start sending pics of people because you know someone with a centerpin and a truck ::) I just want to know if the person I heards been up there is the same person that was spotted
if u ID the poacher then they should be reported and charged.