Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dick Nite lures  (Read 7918 times)

dave c

Dick Nite lures
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

I remember seeing a video of Rods where he used a small spoon called a little shaved under a float.  I believe he said they were made by Yakima baits. Have not been able to locate these however I recently picked up a couple Dick Nite spoons. They are size 2, maybe an inch long. Wondering if anyone has tried these?

dave c

Re: Dick Nite lures
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »

Sorry little shaver. Damn auto correct

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »

I haven't used them much for steelhead but very effective for salmon and trout. Also possible to cast with a fly rod. FWIW I like the Dick Nite action better than the Little Shaver .
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dave c

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »

I haven't used them much for steelhead but very effective for salmon and trout. Also possible to cast with a fly rod. FWIW I like the Dick Nite action better than the Little Shaver .
tks for reply. Would the hook supplied stand up to a steelhead or should it be changes

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:45:16 AM »

Change hooks and all split rings on the Dick Nites and Hildebrandts. I personally use #1 Sickle siwash hook. I like to run a swivel above the lure and below the lure to give the hook some drop back.
Try the colored ones as well, meaning the actual lures.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

cdjk123

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »

I know a few guys that use those on fly rods because they're small and light enough. It's a little against the fly fishing code though  ;)

redside1

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »

I know a few guys that use those on fly rods because they're small and light enough. It's a little against the fly fishing code though  ;)
Also known has the "Sir Richard" fly in the fly fishing circles.

All tackle shops have access to purchasing Little Shavers and most of the larger stores like Berry's , SeaRun & Fred's should have them in stock. They are available from local distributors for your favorite store to bring in.

TNAngler

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »

We used to use Dick Nites almost exclusively for coho.  I know my dad still does but I haven't been able to fish for coho for a long time so I don't know if the hooks they currently supply them with are sufficient for a coho but I know years ago they were fine.  Very fun to fish and the coho used to kill it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »

I’ve caught more trout and Kokanee on the dic knight then any other lure. Trolled behind a willow leaf or ford fender they work great.

Never tried for salmon but now I’m curious

John Revolver

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »

x2 for swapping out the crappy in-the-box hook. I've always found the stock hook to get tangled up into the lure.

And yeah they can be cast with a fly rod. I've tried it but I much prefer Christmas tree flies which give better action under water imo

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »

I've only used them for Kokanee.  And lets just say, they work.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 03:57:33 PM »

They also work on sea run cutthroat. A little on the light side to cast with spinning gear, but they look just like a sand lance.   

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »

Gold Hildebrandt-deadly wicked !

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »

Swapping out with similar sized gamakatsu siwash hooks works great. When casting for coho’s a size 1 dick nite in the frog colour works great. 3’ leader to a 3 way swivel. Use a dropper loop so you can easily switch bell sinker sizes to be able to fish them in all depths and current speeds.

zap brannigan

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »

i use the dick nites under a float for steel once in a while work great i always swap out the hooks with sickle siwash.