Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dick Nite lures  (Read 8010 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Dick Nite lures
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »

x2 for swapping out the crappy in-the-box hook. I've always found the stock hook to get tangled up into the lure.

And yeah they can be cast with a fly rod. I've tried it but I much prefer Christmas tree flies which give better action under water imo

over the years success has given me more confidence in flies but Dick Nites can sometimes trigger strikes when nothing else in the box will. Swapping out the hooks is a solid idea but the supplied hooks work ok and I've caught some big coho with the stock hook

BTW a Xmas tree is a jig.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

obie1fish

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »

Ralph, I disagree with the Christmas tree being a jig primarily. I've only seen it as a fly. Are you referring to the way it's fished? If so, I've never seen it that way myself. But of course, I could be wrong. Please let me know.
What I was also wondering was this: has anyone used a lure similar to the Dick Nite called Luhr's Lucky Nite? It was made by Luhr Jensen. I learned about it in the late 1960's fishing the Okanagan Lake for Kokanee by an old timer who used to take me out. That, 18" of 4 lb. test, a 2 blade Ford Fender, and a kernel of corn on the hook. Absolutely lights out. That being said, has anyone used one of these bad boys for fly fishing? I asume they would work pretty well, too.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 05:13:45 PM »

Kind of a tongue in cheek remark

Most of the time it's tied with a bead or a cone which when stripped provides a jigging action.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

c-pin

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 06:36:38 PM »

I float fish Dick Nites for salmon. I’ve had tremendous luck with them. For Coho I’ll fish the 50/50 or the brass & chartreuse. For pinks, I use the nickel & hot pink. I always have them in my vest.

I haven’t used them for steelhead though.

John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »

I float fish Dick Nites for salmon. I’ve had tremendous luck with them. For Coho I’ll fish the 50/50 or the brass & chartreuse. For pinks, I use the nickel & hot pink. I always have them in my vest.

I haven’t used them for steelhead though.

John
X2 on the 50/50.  I've found that as you go smaller, you need a longer leader.  I often use a 6 foot leader when fishing the size zero ('wee' size).  I haven't tried to replace the hooks yet except as I bend the one it comes with, but it is a pain in the butt that the hook will frequently get looped around the line at the top of the lure.

ByteMe

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »

They work great on spey/switch rods, using skagit heads and T sink tips, very productive in the spring for steelhead when fry are migrating, x4 on the 50/50
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

obie1fish

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:34:18 PM »

Kind of a tongue in cheek remark

Most of the time it's tied with a bead or a cone which when stripped provides a jigging action.

Gotcha. Sometimes I can be too literal.