Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Total ban on fishing across the board for 4 yrs.  (Read 9499 times)

arimaBOATER

Total ban on fishing across the board for 4 yrs.
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »

Total ban on fishing the BC coast & streams/rivers across the board. Commercial native & sport for 4 yrs.
Open to fishing the 5th year.
Lakes ok to fish.
Import fish during that time/ or BC fish farm ( though do not like them )
The numbers will have to increase DRAMATICALLY !!!
Would everyone be on board ?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Total ban on fishing across the board for 4 yrs.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »

Hardly worth discussing such an extreme hypothetical  ::)

cas

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »

Then what? Are you going to do anything about predation (ie. seals, sea lions, birds)? Are you going to do anything about water quality? Are you going to do anything about habitat? What happens when the only real conservationists aren't allowed any opportunities at all? And the newer anglers...?

Wow. Let's focus on the real issues....

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »

No offence, but please delete this thread.  It's only going to inflame polarizing sentiments that people have about commercial, sporties and native fishing, and to what end.  It's going to end up in a shouting match and no good will come from that.  If history has taught me anything, is that discussing charged topics like this on the web is the worst possible venue to do so.

cas

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »

No offence, but please delete this thread.  It's only going to inflame polarizing sentiments that people have about commercial, sporties and native fishing, and to what end.  It's going to end up in a shouting match and no good will come from that.  If history has taught me anything, is that discussing charged topics like this on the web is the worst possible venue to do so.

Agreed.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »

Total ban on fishing the BC coast & streams/rivers across the board. Commercial native & sport for 4 yrs.
Open to fishing the 5th year.
Lakes ok to fish.
Import fish during that time/ or BC fish farm ( though do not like them )
Would everyone be on board ?

As usual, you're off your meds again when on the keyboard. Typical jibblish that makes absolutely no sense.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »

would they? While the take by various sectors is significant, other factors can have a bigger influence.

Why close streams where fish are doing well? Why close streams that have no runs of salmon or steelhead?

This is an old but still half baked notion that's been around for a couple of generations
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »

Why delete the thread? It may come to this one day the way its headed. Total closures. But hey good luck. To many groups and to much money involved. Ya keep it open so we can cast a line and catch nothing.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »

It's a warm thought.

You would only catch one spawn cycle, two for some. You would likely need maintain this closure for two full Chinook  cycles to make a difference. So many other factors but that would be a good push if it were even possible with everyone complying and environmental conditions improved.

Who would ever fund enforcement for such a proposal?

As previously said, there is just too much money involved and this will never happen.

We're too late - extinction is imminent. :'(

If groups could make money at making small gains in fish stocks then we'll be able to offset the extinction for a few years. Sadly like all the trees on the Moon, the salmon will soon gone.

ShaunO

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »

Why delete the thread?

See above rationale.  Discussing the same topics over and over and hoping for a different outcome isn't being optimistic, its ignorant.

mikeyman

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »

Ok. Well dont look at the thread then. I talked about how much the canucks suck last week. Is it okay if I talk about how they suck this week? Dont see that changing soon. Something needs to be done soon or no more fish.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:24:10 PM by mikeyman »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »

I read a good peace about closing it every 3 yeas. That way it would be spread across all brood years

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 07:28:13 PM »

Will only work in a utopian society....

sbc hris

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »

It was a simple question. I would absolutely be on board if I knew my abstinence from fishing would also mean removing all of the commercial fleets as well. I’m not so greedy that I can’t give it a 4+ year break, just to see what would happen, for a chance at preserving fish for the future generations, or at least so we would know what kind of impact fishing is or isn’t having on overall numbers. I mean, we’re fairly rapidly heading to a point of having no fish left at all, surely it would be worth the chance to see if we could salvage the fish. I also don’t think there’s a chance that kind of closure would actually happen, but I’m pretty sure the original question was just a hypothetical, so keep your panties loose everyone ;)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »

Don't be so milk toast. Would someone please disagree with my post.  ::)
For those who are looking for answers, like wildmanyeah,milkyman,& others who see the many positives
You are visionaries. Glass half full.
I remember like it was yesterday that Vancouver heard they got accepted to host the Winter Olympics.
Years just flew by & the games were here & gone & now it's 2018.
Like 15 or so years have just come & gone.
If fishing was stopped in areas mentioned for 4 years the time would fly by & before we can say Jimmy Cricket we'd be fishing again. Plus if this was ever done the real idea of conservation may actually penetrate & take hold in our thought processes.( way of thinking )
Anyways the discussion seemed slow so thought I'd give my view on the subject. Where there is a will there is a way. In the very least I see people are viewing this site & were just deciding not to post much.
Good to know members are still alive & heart beating.
Honestly some frogs jump out of the pot before the water starts boiling.
They saw the problem & jumped out.
Some frogs will realize the problem but it's too late...they get cooked.
A leader with vision should put a ban on fishing & let the fish recover.
The idea brought up in a post about closing it every 3 years is an excellent idea!! That would be a 3 yr shutdown spread over 10 yrs. As it is now a lot of the commercial boats do not fish at all anyways so one group already is used to it.
Edit in: sbc hris exactly what I was trying to say in my first post but you said it better.
You have a improved choice of words of the English language. You are. "Right on"
Again like the every 3 yr ban wildmanyeah brought up. No brainer in my books.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:12:38 PM by A-BOATER »