Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River Poachers  (Read 17799 times)

banx

Re: Thompson River Poachers
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

Sad state of affairs to witness the finale to a great run of steelhead, and with so many to blame in the demise, this hero stands alone as the scapegoat for all to call out.

Reminds me of fishing the lower Skeena back in the 90's during late summer/fall as the coho, steelhead and pinks migrated past the endless line of bar rods. People dragging steelhead up onto the bars only to pop the big barbed hook out and kick them back, people doing their darnedest to snap off pinks so they could recast before the next wave of fish. My things have changed.......

And yet here we are, awestruck at the audacity that is someone shooting the final buffalo.

well put.

avid angler

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

Isn’t the river open for First Nations?
absolutely 100% not
Sad state of affairs to witness the finale to a great run of steelhead, and with so many to blame in the demise, this hero stands alone as the scapegoat for all to call out.

Reminds me of fishing the lower Skeena back in the 90's during late summer/fall as the coho, steelhead and pinks migrated past the endless line of bar rods. People dragging steelhead up onto the bars only to pop the big barbed hook out and kick them back, people doing their darnedest to snap off pinks so they could recast before the next wave of fish. My things have changed.......

And yet here we are, awestruck at the audacity that is someone shooting the final buffalo. 

This type of ignorance deserves whatever it gets. He is not the reason for the Thompson demise but with these fish on their last legs what he’s been doing is nothing short of disgusting. Let him have it

Shinny

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »

The white man come with gillnets and whipped out the population then blames natives in a racists post for practicing traditions they have done for thounsdands of years while sustaining a perfectly healthy population.

Come on guys

Do you ever make a well thought out post ? Your condoning this behaviour?are you FN? Your always defending their actions... Fish on saviour of the Environtment...fish on!! Guess you really don’t care about the future generations.

The river should be closed to everyone, the days of FN getting special treatment are going to come to an end sometime when the greater cause of the environment is realized...probably by then it will be too late. The state of the Thompson is so critical that if the FN did care they wouldn’t be fishing it... your not selling these steelie and the argument that it’s for ceremonial purposes...come on ::)gimme a break.

The day will come when the FN will have to play by the same rules as everyone else in this country...hopefully sooner than later... you can’t go out and kill whales and net salmon for all of eternity just because your ancestors did that. Times are changing...cultures are changing.... white people blame FN....FN blame the white nets...bla bla bla... if you cared about the fish then everyone should agree that errors were made by EVERYONE and the rivers should just be closed.

Wildmanyeah... either the best troll or one of the dumbest people on this forum. Was he out at the Boxing Day derby telling people not to post pics on social media like he proposed earlier?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »

let's see - there is no link to the supposed Facebook page. There is no time info for the photos (they could be years old) and the face of the poacher is deliberately obscured. Why?  Is original post is just an attempt to stir a tempest in a teapot? Keep your shirts on.

The responsible thing to do with the information is to turn it over to the band and to the CO Service so they can investigate. So ask again has this been done?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »

let's see - there is no link to the supposed Facebook page. There is no time info for the photos (they could be years old) and the face of the poacher is deliberately obscured. Why?  Is original post is just an attempt to stir a tempest in a teapot? Keep your shirts on.

The responsible thing to do with the information is to turn it over to the band and to the CO Service so they can investigate. So ask again has this been done?
A welcome dose of sanity in this discussion. Thanks, Ralph!

BBarley

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »

This type of ignorance deserves whatever it gets. He is not the reason for the Thompson demise but with these fish on their last legs what he’s been doing is nothing short of disgusting. Let him have it

Ignorance, maybe, but I was thinking more along the lines of perspective.....

Let me be clear, I don't condone his actions at all. It's a social media ploy aimed at angering those that care so dearly for what's left of a magical run of fish.

Ignorance is however, allowing farmers to drain spawning creeks to dangerously low levels and mortally high temperatures. It's allowing fishers of all colours to harvest an essentially crucial salmon to the ecosystem for dog food and an overseas delicacy. It's continuing unsustainable logging and habitat destruction province wide in the name of profits.

But publicly shaming this individual is exactly the reaction he was looking for, I mean I rarely post here anymore and it got me posting. It does nothing but add fuel to the fire and adds incentive to do it again.

Perhaps the best course action is to just ignore this individuals action and hope he finds a new hobby.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »

Letter emailed to the Merritt Band yesterday, and will be snail mailed tomorrow.
CO Service notified by another via direct Facebook links.

Cheers,
Nog

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »

--destruction of habitat and not managing by-catch just isn't as obvious, catch-22

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »

deleted
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:31:57 PM by wildmanyeah »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

The whole point of NOGS post was to incite hatred towards a whole culture. 

And there you go with yet another attempt at getting the thread shut down. No surprise I guess.  :o

The reason the FN notation stayed was because it is directly relevant.
This poacher is hiding behind treaty rights while engaging in an activity he well knows is wrong.
He has been sanctioned for this behavior before, yet continues it regardless.
ZERO respect for the Resource.
ZERO respect for his own culture.
ABUSE of the treaty rights afforded his people.
In short, a complete disgrace.

You trying to spin this into a witch hunt speaks volumes.
This fellow a friend of yours?

Wondering...
Nog
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:39:44 PM by IronNoggin »

joshhowat

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »

Alex Boysis

Take a look Ralph. You won’t believe your eyes. His father does the same.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008695959277&ref=br_rs

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:59:07 PM by TheLostSockeye »

GordJ

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »

The whole point of NOGS post was to incite hatred towards a whole culture.  I told him if he removed FN from his post that I would delete all my posts. He still wont remove it.  He could of just as easily posted the pictures of this individuals egregious behavior without including his ethnicity but he choose to throw all First Nations people under the same bus.  look at his choice of words "gleeful FN fellow on Facebook". Like hes rubbing it in your face you better hate him

The first nations of the upper fraser river are some of the best on the fraser and work really well with DFO. How do you think next time DFO is in negotiations to stop a protest fishery its going to go next time?

Nog wanted a witch hunt with his post and he got one. The facebook poster is well aware of what his action of posting the picture might do and you all just proved him right about your hatred towards his culture and ethnicity.

Sure I had a Troll Like response to Nogs post and for that I apologise as it seems to have caused much anger in all of you. Yes I also did say not to post pictures of of Chilliwack steelhead on social media because at a time when we are trying to bring awareness to the public attempting to explain to them hatchery vs Wild, This stream VS that stream despite them both migrating threw the fraster. It just really muddies the water to the general public who in the end like it or not sway the government decisions.  Pick someone in the general public that knows nothing about fishing and attempt to explain to them its okay for sports fishermen to harvest them here, Not okay for natives to harvest up the river but its okay for catch and release. Like it's just Fing impossible 

We are also under an NDP/Green and a Fed Lib government its not the time to go after FN. We need to just take our licks and move to a more favorable government thats willing to take action against FN.

Go write some letters to your government officials like I did.
I think that your trolling has put your credibility in question. I know that the OP has been a touch feisty with his forced confinement but there is no logical way to paint this issue in an anti-Indian light.
When someone kills one of these fish and brags on Facebook there is no arguement that you can use to support him. The facts are that he is an Indian and he has bragged about killing steelhead. Paint it however you want. what’s next for you, arguing that Willy Picton should be out on parole because someone called him “challenged”?

StillAqua

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »

I searched the Nicola Tribal Association website and got zero results for anyone named Boysis. I checked out the FB pages for Alex Boysis and his presumed Boysis relatives and there are no links to or mentions of any of the local bands or band activities and organizations that I could see which would be very odd if they were from one of the Nicola Bands. Unless some of you have information you haven't shared, everything on FB points to all the Boysis on FB likely being of northern Albertan FNs descent, not being BC FNs exercising an "aboriginal right". Which makes his FN origins irrelevant. There are lots of FNs living in the territories of other bands so assuming they are from a local band because of where they live is incorrect and unfair to the local FNs, particularly the Nicola Bands that take steelhead conservation very seriously.

The point is, a poacher is a poacher, regardless of their ethnic origin or where they live. Complaining to the CO service is the right approach.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »

I don't think band members identities are typically posted on the band websites. It's not clear they are FN but ok good bet they are. I took a look at the website and as I said - you've got their identity the Facebook page - pass it on. The possible Dad has a business in Merritt - maybe pass that on. The usual multitudes of hysterical replies don't do anything worthwhile.

Most of the bands do not support members killing fish (endangered or otherwise) outside of their agreements with DFO.

Paint it however you want. what’s next for you, arguing that Willy Picton should be out on parole because someone called him “challenged”?

Mr Pot, good grief ,how ridiculous!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.