Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter steelheading 101  (Read 21256 times)

stsfisher

Re: Winter steelheading 101
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »

Gain confidence in the offerings you choose, but do not overwhelm yourself with every offering in the tackle store. I would say 95% of newbies arm themselves with far to many presentations and take little time to actual figure out the in's and outs of each presentation.

AND threads like these will help very little without time on the water to gain that confidence. Do not expect fish, expect to learn every time out and you will be rewarded at a later date.

Silex-user

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »

Fish a river that no one else does and you will find you do not need a lot of tips and tricks, swing a spoon and if they are there you will catch fish.  Steelhead are no more intelligent or spooky than Coho.  They are only a fish of a thousand casts on high pressure rivers.  So hit the high percentage water and cover water fast and then faster still.  Some of the top rods I have watched hardly ever stand still and will cover 5-10 km of water in a morning.

So true. I guess I added my 2 cent worth here. First of all I still keep open mind in my passion of fishing for these elusive steelies. I always watch what other fisherman or gals are using even thought I am closing in 40 years of chasing these metalheads. I have spend  1 season fishing for steelheads in Washington state so far. I watch and adapt some parts in their style in fishing for them. Only change which I have not done is using a spinning reel and short drift rods. I would say 70% fisherman used them. I still stick to my centerpin and baitcasting reels and Sage drift rods. They do lots of BB fishing with small corkies or yarn(puff balls) or baits and short leaders. Guys in drift boats used plug lures fishing and bogging doggin with big fat floats.

In another thing I like to mention is please don't dragged the steelhead 5 feet up the shore unless it is hatchery steelhead you intend to keep. I seen these action before (Vedder River) I know lot people get excited about catching a steelhead and try to identified your catch if it hatchery or wild while it still in water.

Futhermore, don't fish besided another fisherman unless you know him this is not salmon fishing. I had guys stand 10 feet from me before until told them  when I swing my centerpin its going hit them.

I don't consider myself expert steelheader and I intend to learn something new everytime I fished for them.

See you guys in local flow soon. Enjoy. :)

Siles user

John Revolver

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 11:57:51 AM »

1> River etiquette , no low holing!!!. Be sure to fish hard and cycle through many spots

2> LEARN Steelhead migration and behavioral patterns

3>MATCH presentation to water temp,clarity

4> make peace with not getting into a fish. stay focused , keep having fun and it WILL happen for you

5> use radically different stuff. Pink worms and jensen eggs be damned!

6> Start a run with Bait and work the run fast > start the run over again with some metal or a jig and work run even faster > start again from the top with a worm or another impact bait and blitz through the run.  >  go off and find another spot.

7> Tie everything using a non-slip loop knot and always put some wool with your roe or jenny egg so it can get tangled up in the fish's teeth.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:40:49 PM by John Revolver »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »

I don't have any great steel heading stories/lessons to share as I am relatively new (5ish years) to this pursuit. But I will advise on one thing to bring along that I learned the hard way - toilet paper!
Went out one morning a couple years back. No brown trout before I left home. I figured no big deal, if I have to go I'll just wrap things up at the run I'm on and hit a gas station. Around lunch time I was fishing a run above Tamahai, about a 15 min walk from my vehicle. Suddenly it hit me - anal urgency! I tried to make it back to my truck but I knew it was not going to happen. Next thing you know my clothes are coming off faster than an X rated movie, trying to get my damn waders down! I had no t/p, and the only thing "usable" around were some giant, wet, gritty, muddy leaves :'( I did the best job I could and had to fish the rest of the day with a gritty/muddy butt crack. Not nice!
Now in the same big zip lock I keep a few garbage bags and smaller zip lock roe bags, I have a small pack of "wet ones" along with a small roll of t/p. If you have to take a beef dip in the woods you'll be glad you brought this stuff!!

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »

You did wash your hands right?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »

Have you consider wearing hip waders ? ;D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »

I don't have any great steel heading stories/lessons to share as I am relatively new (5ish years) to this pursuit. But I will advise on one thing to bring along that I learned the hard way - toilet paper!
Went out one morning a couple years back. No brown trout before I left home. I figured no big deal, if I have to go I'll just wrap things up at the run I'm on and hit a gas station. Around lunch time I was fishing a run above Tamahai, about a 15 min walk from my vehicle. Suddenly it hit me - anal urgency! I tried to make it back to my truck but I knew it was not going to happen. Next thing you know my clothes are coming off faster than an X rated movie, trying to get my damn waders down! I had no t/p, and the only thing "usable" around were some giant, wet, gritty, muddy leaves :'( I did the best job I could and had to fish the rest of the day with a gritty/muddy butt crack. Not nice!
Now in the same big zip lock I keep a few garbage bags and smaller zip lock roe bags, I have a small pack of "wet ones" along with a small roll of t/p. If you have to take a beef dip in the woods you'll be glad you brought this stuff!!

You just described pretty much 50% of my trips hahahaha

losos

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 07:24:58 PM »

Always bring a bar of soap for when you catch cupcakes .

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »

IF someone comes up to you and asks you if you caught any always make sure to lie and tell them "no but u talked to some guys and they had some success somewhere else on the river."

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »

one of my newer fishing buddies had 2 double egg breakfast sandwiches from a&w for breakfast. lets just say he payed for it for the rest of the day. now whenever he comes out he needs an hour of bathroom time before hes ready to go.

this thread is full of gold stories lol

Drewhill

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 10:06:43 PM »

Guys, I hate to say it but if we're talking Vedder and Chilliwack you're probably going to get low-holed so if there's a part of the run you think will produce fish hit it first then go back up and work down. Expecting to go into a run on a river like the Vedder that's highly populated and working your way down without anyone jumping in, which could take quite a long time, is simply unrealistic. These aren't island rivers or up north rivers with less pressure.

As far as fence posting, I know quite a few guys that fence post and catch more steelhead than most guys on this site. Everyones definition of fun is different. These guys will bring some chairs, food, brews and fish for a while then chill and fish again and make a great day out of it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:13:50 AM by Drewhill »

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »

Guys, I hate to say it but if we're talking Vedder and Chilliwack you're probably going to get low-holed so if there's a part of the run you think will produce fish hit it first then go back up and work down. Expecting to go into a run on a river like the Vedder that's highly populated and working your way down without anyone jumping in, which could take quite a long time, is simply unrealistic. These aren't island rivers or up north rivers with less pressure.

As far as fence posting, I know quite a few guys that fence post and catch more steelhead than most guys on this site. Everyone's definition of fun is different. These guys will bring some chairs, food, brews and fish for a while then chill and fish again and make a great day out of it.
Well said!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2017, 12:11:39 AM »

I love fishing behind guys who blitz through the water. Just like the guy I fished behind on a good section of water and hooked and landed 6 winter-runs after he went through. The only reason I stopped fishing was the 6th fish was hatchery and retained. Pretty sure he was on suicide watch that day, especially after I walked by him and said “ I think there are a few fish around!”

This was 2 seasons ago! Hope he is a member on this forum so he can reply and tell us his side of the story!

;D
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 12:23:11 AM »

I love your story. That in a way supports what I mentioned in one of my stories posted earlier, getting outfished 5-0 after we already combed the run over and over for 1 hour. I am glad I am not the guy you mention as my story was over 15 years ago. But the feeling of hurt and humiliation as well as humility all felt the same. So did you fish with that special 2-colour wool pattern? Lol.

Saying that, I have done similar catches over others often too. May not be 6-0 or 5-0 but 2-0 has happened often with the special spinner that I talked about in one of my stories. When that happen in busy runs where many rods have just passed through, and then hooking those fish right after them, they just scratch their heads not knowing what just happened. Lol.

Shinny

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »

IF someone comes up to you and asks you if you caught any always make sure to lie and tell them "no but u talked to some guys and they had some success somewhere else on the river."

What’s the point of this? I’ve never understood...  Are you afraid that the person asking is going to stand beside you and cast away trying to catch a fish geez... if/when someone asks me if I caught a fish a tell them the truth, heck even show them what I caught it on and exchange a few stories with a smile...maybe even learn something myself. Guess that’s just how I roll, usually pretty ecstatic if I have a fish in the bag and don’t mind talking about it.

You say some strange things sir... like the comment in the Boxing Day fishing derby proposing they cancel it this year and urging people to not post pics on social media  ::)

This is the reason I try and avoid a coffee on the ride out. 30 mins into fishing my eyes are turning brown and I’m squirming all over. Luckily the last time this happened I was deep in the chehalis canyon with plenty of moss around... honestly besides feeling like a Neanderthal it was pretty refeshing. I also have some crap tickets in my bag now.