Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greasy fish farms releasing infected blood water  (Read 15949 times)

Ambassador

Greasy fish farms releasing infected blood water
« on: November 28, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »

Anyone else's blood boil when they watch this? Who the hell is supposed to be holding these [insert disrespectable word for guilty parties here] accountable??

I assume this can't be industry oversight - but more of a case by case greasy move by processing plants to save $$ - am I right? I know we have fish farmers on this forum - anyone care to justify this as in any way acceptable?

https://vimeo.com/238445419
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Shinny

Re: Greasy fish farms releasing infected blood water
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:32:05 PM »

Tavish Campbell was on cknw this morning speaking about the footage he shot for this film. The fish processing plant is doing nothing illegal.... it’s government oversight. The fish plant is just following the rules put forth by the government... or lack of them.  :-[ He states this video isn’t an attack on the fish processsing plant but more the lack of rules for the disposal of the effluent. So incredibly gross.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »

How do fish plants which process commercially caught wild fish deal with their effluent?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »

According to some stories online, this effluent was treated to kill viruses.  If that is so, the PRV supposedly found in the samples came from the environment, not the effluent.  Considering PRV has been in BC waters longer than salmon farms, and is found in wild salmon, I’m not sure if there is a major concern, other than more poor optics for salmon farms.
Ever wondered where the blood and other body secretions from the spawning/sorting racks at Federal salmon hatcheries end up?
What about all those wild salmon that die every year after spawning?
Here is something else to concern yourself about:

http://www.bucksuzuki.org/images/uploads/docs/Hidden_Killer.pdf

When you compare this offal issue to what the city of Victoria dumps into the ocean, untreated, every day, or how agricultural activities dispose of their animal waste on fields beside fish bearing streams, it does lose some traction.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »

How do fish plants which process commercially caught wild fish deal with their effluent?

Well wild fish don’t have viruses, only farmed fish so it’s all natural and wholesome  - didn’t anyone tell you that?

(sarcasm of course)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »

http://bcsalmonfarmers.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/BCSFA_Wastewater_NOV28.pdf
They say they treat the water but like the application of Slice, that doesn't mean all the pathogens are gone.

They just spin the truth to say whatever they want:

Farm-raised salmon is B.C.’s highest valued seafood product, the province’s top agricultural export, and generates over $1.5-billion towards the B.C. economy, resulting in over 6,600 jobs.

- hard not to be the top agricultural export when most produce is not exported but consumed locally.
- generates over $1.5 billion towards the BC economy - are they talking taxes?
- 6,660 jobs - last time I checked, there were 1600 people employed by fish farms.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »

http://theprovince.com/news/world/sample-of-b-c-farmed-salmon-blood-water-tests-positive-for-virus-critic/wcm/1f403d18-b85c-40e3-86da-fbe52bcd3198

Jeremy Dunn, executive director for the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, said effluent is treated for pathogens, but not specifically PRV.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »

He also said,
  "Dunn said there’s no way to know that the PRV in the samples came from the fish blood, rather than the ocean water collected, since the virus has been known to exist in both. “Is the PRV in their sample coming from the plant or the ocean? I can’t know that.”

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 07:49:11 AM »

such numbers are always inflated by what economists call 'multiplier factors'. As money changes hands and filters through the economies it pays for more jobs, services and goods outside of direct employment and operation. In other jurisdictions and industries, factors used to multiple the value of an industry or an development/operation have sometimes been found to be grossly exaggerated so
statements such as this should be treated with the proverbial grain of salt.

They say they treat the water but like the application of Slice, that doesn't mean all the pathogens are gone.

They just spin the truth to say whatever they want:

Farm-raised salmon is B.C.’s highest valued seafood product, the province’s top agricultural export, and generates over $1.5-billion towards the B.C. economy, resulting in over 6,600 jobs.

- hard not to be the top agricultural export when most produce is not exported but consumed locally.
- generates over $1.5 billion towards the BC economy - are they talking taxes?
- 6,660 jobs - last time I checked, there were 1600 people employed by fish farms.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »

http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/559893/salmon-farms-spewing-untreated-bloodwater-puts-wild-fish-risk-advocates

“He said scientists from his department and Environment Canada are seeking clarity on the situation, including about test results Campbell says showed the bloody water was full of the piscine reovirus, a common virus in farmed salmon that is deadly to wild salmon.”

More fabrication and hyperbole from some media sources and activists.  There’s no evidence of this. If so, show it. Now.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »

“He said scientists from his department and Environment Canada are seeking clarity on the situation, including about test results Campbell says showed the bloody water was full of the piscine reovirus, a common virus in farmed salmon that is deadly to wild salmon.”

More fabrication and hyperbole from some media sources and activists.  There’s no evidence of this. If so, show it. Now.

Um, except for the simple fact that the feedlot fish are known carriers of piscine reovirus. The burden of proof is on the phish pharms. Hyperbole is Dunn claiming the water is "treated" but can't or won't sat it's treated for the above mentioned. Try again Brian.
http://

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »

Um, except for the simple fact that the feedlot fish are known carriers of piscine reovirus. The burden of proof is on the phish pharms. Hyperbole is Dunn claiming the water is "treated" but can't or won't sat it's treated for the above mentioned. Try again Brian.

Nice deflection. Doesn’t wash. Show me your evidence that’s it’s deadly to wild salmon as the article states. I’m waiting.