Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: heads up  (Read 13404 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: heads up
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »

Thanks Ralph. Are the drift or set nets that are indicated gill nets or tangle tooth?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 10:42:10 AM »

no idea. I assume they are gill nets. Best I recall tangle tooth nets were a pilot project funded by DFO & used by some participating commercial boats Much of the catch was sold live in Steveston. No idea what happened in the long term.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »

RalphH I paraphrase you a bit Here is the letter I send thanks for the push

Dear Minister,

Commercial, Aboriginal and Recreational Chum and Coho fishing is currently taking place in the Fraser River (British Columbia).   while I am ecstatic at the opportunity to be able to fish these species.  Once stock of great concern the Thompson Steelhead is currently migrating though the Fraser River. 

Thompson steelhead are one of six endangered steelhead stocks, collectively known as Interior Fraser steelhead (IFS), that migrate to a vast area in the Interior of B.C. each fall. IFS are thought to be genetically unique to B.C., having originated from the Columbia River system after the last ice age. All other B.C. steelhead are believed to have originated from Haida Gwaii stocks. This genetic distinction explains the steelhead’s greate Ir size and relative strength so highly prized among sport fishers. Each fall, while IFS migrate from the ocean to the streams where they were born to procreate in the following spring, they are intercepted in myriad fisheries along the B.C. and Alaska coast that seek more numerous salmon stocks.

The aggregate run of Thompson, Chilcotin and other Fraser River late-run summer steelhead stocks normally peaks in Johnston Straits and Juan de Fuca Strait in late September. The peak of the run in the lower Fraser test fishing area near Fort Langley is expected on October 10 and the run normally extends through the month of October and into mid-November at that location. Further updates will be provided as the season progresses.

The estimated return for Thompson river Steelhead is estimated at 175, Chilcotin is 55. This doesn't include terminal river poaching or over winter fatalities. Historically, it’s thought as many as 10,000 steelhead migrated to the Thompson each year.

Sport anglers on the Fraser are consistently requested to use selective techniques and endure closures for the good of other endangered stocks (Sockeye).

While I agree that the the commercial and First Nations should be allowed to fish on the Fraser River. They should be mandated to use selective fishing techniques like sports fishermen that minimize the impact to IFS stocks. 

All chum fisheries should be based on beach seines, reef nets or other selective methods with the focus on terminal river fisheries such as is done on the Harrison. Consider release of male salmon since these have low commercial value and would be more valuable in river to contribute to the ecosystem

I demand that selective fishing techniques be used! Why are the commercial and First Nations sectors continued to be allowed  to use gill nets when other better selective techniques are available?

Sincerely,

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »

I have sent similar letters using some of the points I made above to LeBlanc and Heyman, cc'd to the Premier, my MP and MLA.

As steelhead are the responsibility of the Province I asked Heyman to develop a rescue and recovery plan to be implemented by summer next year.

I asked LeBLanc to develop a plan to switch the Fraser river chum fishery to selective methods only by September 1st 2018. I also suggested that all male chum caught in such fisheries should be released alive.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

poper

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:40:48 PM by poper »

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 09:20:37 PM »

well thanks to all who have contributed to this thread
but here we go again the commercial boats are lining up
not as many as Tuesday only six this time in front of the house
wait which is the front drive way or river lol
they are all anchored lights appropriate
im sure more may show up over night waiting for the gun to go off

good luck fishing tommorow

milo grt some BA white fish lets smoke em

cnm 
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »

Fishery Notice
Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject: FN1156-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill net - Chum - Area E - Area 29 - Fraser River -Closed for Balance of 2017 Season

Fraser River Chum

The Area E gill net fishery openings described in FN1096 closed as scheduled at
18:00 hours Friday, October 27, 2017. 

In order to ensure management objectives on interior Fraser steelhead stocks of
concern are achieved, no further Area E fisheries in Area 29 are scheduled for
the balance of the 2017 season. 

Recorded updates for Area E fleet are available at (604) 666-2828.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Barbara Mueller, Resource Manager (Fraser River), Delta (604)666-2370

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1156
Sent October 30, 2017 at 1501

Tangles

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »

Don't worry the FN nets will clean out the last little that is left.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »

I was on the Island visiting family this weekend. Commercial boats including several seiners were working the outside of the harbour when we arrived Fridays at about noon. They were still there when we departed Sunday at 330pm. I would guess strongly the target is the chum run bound for the Nanaimo River

Point: it could have been much worse. The FN fisheries for the most part don't have the impact of a full commercial opening plus they do utilize selective methods to a significant extent. We just need to get that situation to 100% selective.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 08:30:17 PM »

well the commercials did leave at six
but yes our local fn did move in saturday
but this time only counted six boats
not the usual twenty or so
same on sunday

but apparently did not affect the stave today
wish i was there
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »

Thank you for your email of October 26, 2017, regarding Thompson steelhead stock.
While I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with me, this topic falls under the purview of the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.

I have shared a copy of your enquiry with my colleague, the Honourable Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, for his review and consideration. I understand you will receive a response at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

George Heyman
Minister

cc:        Honourable Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations
               and Rural Development

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »

Looks like someone else is writing letters too.

Actor William Shatner calls for 'immediate action' on declining steelhead population

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/william-shatner-steelhead-1.4444832

poper

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »

Ya I’m sure they will listen

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »

The response they gave me

ecember 21, 2017

Dear Concerned Citizen,

Thank you for your email regarding the state of the interior Fraser steelhead.  The Province of British Columbia (BC) recognizes that steelhead is an iconic fish species of significant economic, social and ecological importance and thus is of high priority to the province.

The provincial objective for steelhead management is to maintain and restore wild steelhead populations to maximize ecological, socio-economic and culture benefits for British Columbia.  It is clear that the current status of these stocks is not in a desirable condition.

In 2016, the province published the Provincial Framework for Steelhead Management in British Columbia, which guides the strategies and actions the province undertakes for the conservation and management of steelhead.  This document is available for viewing at: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/docs/Provincial-Framework-for-Steelhead-Management-in-BC-April-2016.pdf

Various factors influence wild steelhead during their freshwater and marine phases of their life cycle.  Factors influencing steelhead in the marine environment include fisheries by-catch mortality, predation mortality and ocean conditions.  These factors are under federal management authority and, to a large extent, difficult to manage.

One area of the marine life cycle where there is the potential to influence adult abundance is by-catch management in salmon fisheries.  The federal government’s salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP) process, undertaken annually for North and South BC coasts, provides an opportunity to incorporate steelhead management objectives within the broader planning process for the harvesting of salmon.  The province endorses efforts to minimize exposure of summer-run steelhead to salmon fisheries in times and places of steelhead migration.  Efforts might include limiting fisheries that are only modestly selective.  In the short term, the province will continue to work with the federal government (i.e. Fisheries and Oceans Canada) to improve data and information for steelhead and to develop a joint steelhead management objective in federal IFMP.

Administration of the recreational freshwater sport fishery is a provincial responsibility delegated from the Government of Canada.  Therefore, fisheries management tools immediately available to support steelhead management include recreational angling regulations.  Regulations can be implemented to alter mortalities associated with recreational angling via harvest restrictions, gear restrictions and time/area restrictions.

The recreational freshwater fishery is already limited to a short time window and is catch and release.  Changes may be considered to close the recreational opportunity completely.

Habitat protection and restoration measures can influence the productive capacity of freshwater habitats to produce juvenile steelhead where habitat is limiting, degraded or fragmented.  Currently, proposals for Fisheries Sensitive Watersheds and Temperature Sensitive Streams are being developed in the interior of the province.

Improving steelhead management to maintain and restore wild populations of steelhead will undoubtedly depend on the effectiveness of our shared stewardship across governments, First Nations, industry, stakeholder and special interest groups, and the public at large.  Thank you for your letter as raising your concerns continues to raise the profile of issues affecting these important stocks.  We appreciate your desire to conserve interior Fraser steelhead stocks.

Sincerely,

Ward Trotter
Executive Director
Natural Resources

pc:       Honourable Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource
   Operations and Rural Development
Honourable George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy

Thank you for your letter as raising your concerns continues to raise the profile of issues affecting these important stocks.  We appreciate your desire to conserve interior Fraser steelhead stocks.

This is why its not just import to sign petitions but also send in personal letters how u guys are willing to take action

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:59:10 PM by wildmanyeah »