Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: heads up  (Read 13397 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: heads up
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »

The other Fraser River Mouth opening on Friday October 27th is just in time for the weekend warriors lol.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »

The big picture is bleak, few spots here n there will see flourishes but you can't have 35 years experience on Rivers and not think "the end is near ".   We can't pulverize females of a species and expect any type of long term survival,   we can't overload disease onto wild fish and expect nothing but disaster, . I didn't see one single chum where I was yesterday telling me of a disaster in making.     Not doom.gloom just a reality check

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »

Took the jet up the Stave yesterday. The only thing we caught were some dark Chum. Nothing fresh. We talked to lots of people on the water and nobody caught a fresh Chum. On our way out under the Hwy bridge from shore to shore starting on the north west corner on the Stave/Fraser was a net going north/south. We drove past 4 other boats between the Stave and the Mission bridge yesterday afternoon. All of them had they're nets out. It was a brutal day. Very disappointed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:24:59 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »

We can't pulverize females of a species and expect any type of long term survival

??? ::)

Tangles

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »

In unison with the others the Stave chum fishery has been going downhill for awhile now. I have pictures of piles and piles of literally thousands of carcasses washed up on the same day 5-6 yrs ago. Now there's barely enough for that famous chum stench.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »

Rather than join the whining might I suggest:

Penning a letter to Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc; dominic.leblanc@parl.gc.ca. CC your MP.

Write it yourself, don't use some form letter since these are apparently all stacked and counted as 1

The estimated return for Thompson fish is estimated at 175, Chilcotin is 55. This doesn't include terminal river poaching or over winter fatalities.

Point out that sport anglers on the Fraser are consistently requested to use selective techniques and endure closures for the good of other endangered stocks. How about the Commercial and FN sectors?

Point out that per their own voluntary catch reports, most FN Thomspon fish are caught in the sector between Mission and Hope. Why are FNs using drift nets in October & November? Why shouldn't all FN fisheries switch to selective methods such as beach seines

All chum fisheries should be based on beach seines or other selective methods with the focus on terminal river fisheries such as is done on the Harrison. Consider release of male salmon since these have low commercial value and would be more valuable in river to contribute to the ecosystem

Email BC's Minister of the Environment George Heyman george.heyman.MLA@leg.bc.ca cc the Premier

demand the Province outline and put in place a Interior Fraser Steelhead rescue and recovery program by 2018 summer.

demand the Province seek protocols consistent with the plan with DFO and these be put in effect by summer 2018

The previous Government sat on it's hands for 16 years while IFS sticks collapsed and
BC anglers let them off the hook by concentrating blame on DFO and FNs. Steelhead are a Provincial responsibility.

Get cracking & do something other than cry in your beer!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:44:13 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »

Commercial should use reef nets

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »

thanks
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »

A number of years ago, there were selective commercial fisheries for chum salmon using beach seine and tangle tooth net methods. If I recall these were a pilot fishery by some First Nation groups.

Does anyone know if these methods are still practiced with any regularity?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »

The other Fraser River Mouth opening on Friday October 27th is just in time for the weekend warriors lol.
Yeah, thanks, putting salt on an open wound and rubbing it in.
Man, I'll be fishing this weekend even if it is for whitefish. Maybe I get lucky and catch a stale coho. ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 06:40:06 AM »

A number of years ago, there were selective commercial fisheries for chum salmon using beach seine and tangle tooth net methods. If I recall these were a pilot fishery by some First Nation groups.

Does anyone know if these methods are still practiced with any regularity?

beach seines are still in use on the Fraser. You can see on the current FN openings for the Fraser:
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CommunalOpeningTimes.pdf

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:58:18 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 09:13:58 AM »

beach seines are still in use on the Fraser. You can see on the current FN openings for the Fraser: https://www.slideshare.net/iloveppt/effective-feedback-delivery-11800826

Is that the right link, Ralph, or did you copy and paste something that was intended your supervisor? :)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »

I just about sent a letter that was titled "Fraser River Cum Fishery" Will post up when im done

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »

I just about sent a letter that was titled "Fraser River Cum Fishery" Will post up when im done

Geez, I hope you didn't title it that!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »

Is that the right link, Ralph, or did you copy and paste something that was intended your supervisor? :)

oops that was the wife's link as she was doing work stuff late last night and early this am. Fixed it.

correct link: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CommunalOpeningTimes.pdf
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:58:35 AM by RalphH »